Tired of Capcom

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
I think I am done buying Capcom games. Twice recently, I have bought Capcom games (Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5) for the PS3.

Several months after release, they come out with a PC version. I would rather have the PC version due to the higher resolution, cheaper price, and more flexible control options. For both of these games, it left me a little disappointed.

Now I have seen announcements for Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition (or Director's Cut) featuring a new mission (and motion control). Also, they have released announcements for Super Street Fighter IV featuring a few new charachters and tweaked gameplay.

Am I the only one tired of buying games, only to have a bigger and badder version come out? These new editions seem like they should be patches or even $10 downloads for the existing owners. Since these games focus on online play, as new players get the upgraded version it will only result in fewer people playing the older version, hurting the original owners.

I can't continue to support this company and wanted to see if anyone else feels the same.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post this in the general section instead of the PC section since this is not PC specific.

Last edited:
just stop buying their games I guess....

thing is, capcom does it the way that most companies have since the beginning... companies that do things like valve are pretty rare....

and really, in the end, did capcom really rip you off? you bought street fighter 4, and resident evil... and thats what you got.... capcom never promised you any different....

I would imagine its not that big of a deal to them because most sales will probably be to new players, and not those that bought the original games. Most people just move on to something else, though if you were die-hard at SF4 then I could understand being upset. There are lots of great games coming out soon, and I see no reason why you would skip over them to buy another version of RE4.

Do a little research before you spend $60 on a game. It's not like they hid the fact that a pc version of either game was in the works.

Several months after release, they come out with a PC version. I would rather have the PC version due to the higher resolution, cheaper price, and more flexible control options.
Then change the title of the thread to Tired of Console Games. And next time just wait for the PC version.

Really?

Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and Street Fighter 2 Turbo Ultra I just knocked up your girlfriend edition didn't give you a hint that they'd make more than just street fighter 4?

All companies do this, and it's not just games. Go to the store and find out how many copies of the DVD "Evil Dead" there are. It's nothing new and it sucks when they release a new one that you want...

and really, in the end, did capcom really rip you off? you bought street fighter 4, and resident evil... and thats what you got.... capcom never promised you any different....

I agree that Capcom didn't promise anything different, I just don't like being left with an out-dated version less than a year after buying.

I guess I do need to research and see if a PC version is coming out before buying any more games. Unfortunately, I probably won't buy as many games since it takes the impulse factor out of it.

I couldn't research the newer versions as these were only recently announced. People in this thread claim it is a common practice to re-release games with new content less than a year after release, but I must not have noticed it before. It is definitely nowhere near as common as the multiple DVD releases, but the case between the two industries feels different.

The Street Fighter series should really not have been a surprise. Resident Evil "Director's Cut" or whatever they will call it is a bit more of a surprise, but really the Resident Evil series has been ported/remade numerous times to other platforms as well, so it's not that huge of a surprise.

Really what you're seeing here is Capcom's history of releasing a game, deciding they wanted to add more stuff/tweak things/listen to fan complaints, and decide to re-release a game and make more money. Pretty normal.

Edit: Though further research reveals that the original release of Resident Evil also had a Director's Cut even before all the ports. Resident Evil 2 had a DualShock Version re-release. Resident Evil 3 had extra content in the subsequent re-releases on new platforms. Code: Veronica had new content on its subsequent port re-releases. Resident Evil Zero has been re-released in Japan with Wii control integration (to be released here next year). And of course, RE4 was ported to PS2, PC, Wii, iPhone, with various tweaks and special package releases, so I suppose my previous statement about Resident Evil only being a small surprise was a bit unrealistic.

Last edited:
How does a new chapter of a single player game ruin the experience of playing the old version? It's not like you need the latest edition to play with bigger online community. The extra chapter sounds like it'll be tacked on and be about as worthless as most DLC extra chapters.

If you really want to try out this extra chapter, do it a year after it's release and grab a copy for $10. Stop impulse buying games at release, if you always regret it.

You should be happy Capcom is even making games for the PC. Capcom has been doing a great job bringing console games to PC. They aren't making crappy ports like they use to or like many other companies have. PC games are in decline, so at least Capcom is making a good effort. They have been bring many of their bigger titles to the PC so if you prefer PC then just wait for the PC version to come out.

Capcom died when they stopped making arcade games.

Whats an Arcade?

I do agree with the part about those super or director cut edition. There's no reason for anyone who bought the first version to spend on those just for the extra mission, and yet they will be missing out those extra stuff. Its like those early buyers gets screwed

I already knew there would be future iterations for SF games, I am frankly not disappointed.. Capcom is known for remaking their SF games and making it better each time for the most part.

I think I am done buying Capcom games. Twice recently, I have bought Capcom games (Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5) for the PS3.

Several months after release, they come out with a PC version. I would rather have the PC version due to the higher resolution, cheaper price, and more flexible control options. For both of these games, it left me a little disappointed.

Now I have seen announcements for Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition (or Director's Cut) featuring a new mission (and motion control). Also, they have released announcements for Super Street Fighter IV featuring a few new charachters and tweaked gameplay.

Am I the only one tired of buying games, only to have a bigger and badder version come out? These new editions seem like they should be patches or even $10 downloads for the existing owners. Since these games focus on online play, as new players get the upgraded version it will only result in fewer people playing the older version, hurting the original owners.

I can't continue to support this company and wanted to see if anyone else feels the same.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post this in the general section instead of the PC section since this is not PC specific.

At least you're not paying $1.00 everytime you want to play the game like you used to have to for Capcom games! Also - I bought SFIV off steam for only $19.99 and going by the old arcade standard, I've probably played $200 worth of games!

Yeah op I hate Capcom, too. Street Fighter sucks sooooooooo much......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stop impulse buying games at release.

^^ THAT.

I always have such a backlog going that it's pointless for me to go buy games on release. I'm just now finishing up GTA4 (20 bucks @ Target), then there's a whole slew of Steam Specials I've bought and need to catch up on. I figure by the i'm ready to play RE5 the SE contant will already be released affordable.

I have no qualms about Capcom's way of doing things on the whole, but it does remind of a good few years back when I bought Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO on the gamecube and it had an "GC Exclusive" tag on it despite being on literally every other console out at the time. =p

Capcom has put a lot of time and effort into their PC ports lately so I'm very happy with them right now.

SSFIV: 8 new characters, rebalancing and move additions, etc. would never be a $10 DLC patch. Its a major update and they already said it won't be full price.

Capcom has put a lot of time and effort into their PC ports lately so I'm very happy with them right now.

+1, agreed. I find it kind annoying someone is actually complaining about them doing a good job, when there's so many other companies doing a worse job to complain about.

I get 90% of my games for $20 or less. By doing so, I can own many more games than I would otherwise if I had been paying full price. The result is a constant backlog of games I either haven't touched or haven't finished.

Capcom has got a lot of good press for making solid PC versions of games. Too bad I don't tend to like those type of games. I watched my brother play RE5 on X360 and it looked terrible (as in gameplay, graphics were decent).

Absolutely. They've really raised the bar and set a standard that should be imitated by all.

I'm going to make a deliberate point of supporting Capcom on the PC by buying their games unless I really have no interest in a given title whatsoever. They've earned it.

How could anyone buy SF4 without knowing there would be another iteration soon. Seriously here's a list of SF titles

Street Fighter
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter Collection 2
Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Super Street Fighter II Turbo: The Ultimate Championship
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo HD Remix
Hyper Street Fighter II
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact: Giant Attack
Street Fighter III: W Impact
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future
Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX Plus
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter 4

Ubisoft, EA and Activision all do the same thing. Capcom is doing good quality PC ports on their multiplats. I don't mind waiting. It was always known that RE5 and SFIV would have a PC port, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. Yes they came out much later, but I can wait. Playing them in true 1080p resolution with better texture fidelity is worth waiting for i guess.

The only think I don't like about new iteration of SF4 is that the player base would be separated between the old and the new. Which means it's even harder to find a game online once the new version hits.

Back