Tips on cutting flex tubing straight and smooth?

VirtualMirage

Limp Gawd
While I know that a specialized tool is probably the best method (and I may stop by my local hardware store to see if they have such a thing in the pipe/tube cutting area), is there any recommendations on how to cut the flex tubing straight using typical tools found at home?

I tried a razor at first but wasn't getting straight, smooth cuts. Scissors were a definitely worse.

I am trying to cut some Primochill 10/13 tubing for my new build.

Thanks!

While I know that a specialized tool is probably the best method (and I may stop by my local hardware store to see if they have such a thing in the pipe/tube cutting area), is there any recommendations on how to cut the flex tubing straight using typical tools found at home?

I tried a razor at first but wasn't getting straight, smooth cuts. Scissors were a definitely worse.

I am trying to cut some Primochill 10/13 tubing for my new build.

Thanks!
I use a wide blade razor knife and literally fold it over the blade and make one quick cut. Might trim up an edge afterwards.

Last edited:
I snagged a cheap plastic tubing cutter a a few years back and never looked back. Easy as scissors to use but makes nice clean cuts.

A sharp razor blade (like a feather de or one of those titanium edge utility blades) and a square would probably do it, maybe two squares to keep it straight across the tube. Having something inside the tube to keep it from collapsing probably wouldn't hurt either, but shouldn't be necessary if your cutter is sharp enough.

Draw across the tube and put the flat side (no bevel) against your guide.

Take the raw end over to a belt sander or similar and dress the end.

Hack saw blades also work well

Yeah, it's soft vinyl tuning. A sharp knife and a solid surface is all you really need. No reason to over think it.
That was my go to before getting the tubing cutter (I do use it on other stuff). Kitchen knife and a cutting board lol.

Yeah, it's soft vinyl tuning. A sharp knife and a solid surface is all you really need. No reason to over think it.
Agreed. Been cutting flexible tubing of various types for automotive and other purposes in my shop for years.

Back