Tip for sleeving non molex wires

Athrix

Weaksauce
I've been reading write ups for sleeving a power supply using staples, tweezers, modified screw drivers and everything else you can imagine, none of which was working for me. I finally found something I thought I'd post here for everyone else, using the staple method to depress the pins but then using a small screw driver to push the pin out the bottom of the plug. Aside from the expensive molex tool this is the only method that worked for me. staples are dirt cheap and you can't break one of those screw drivers.

With this method I could probably de-pin a 24-pin connector in a few minutes.

If anyone wants to see pics I'll toss some up when I get home tonight.

Happy sleeving :D

yea love to see how you did that. i didnt sleeve my 24pin but i really want to. even if its just heatshrink. anything to get rid of those damn color wires.

Sorry it took me so long to get pics up, once I figured it out I wanted to start sleeving :D

Connector being de-pinned

The Tools

Make two sets of "L" shaped staples, it works best if you can keep two staples glued together.
Slide the staple between the inside of the plastic housing and the outside of the female pin. Push it down till it stops for both sides.
Take a FLAT head screw driver and place it diagonal across the pin head.

Hold the plastic housing firm and push the pin out the bottom. If it won't work on the first try, grab the wire and push the pin further into the housing.
Sometimes if its pulling against the the release pins its hard to push out.

After a few tries you should get it. Little tip, use the largest flat head screw driver you can fit in the plastic housing.
If you use one too small it can go inside the metal connector and bend it out (learned that one the hard way).

This is what I ended up with, there is definitely a learning curve so be prepared to waste some sleeving and heatshrink if you want them to be perfect.

I bought all my stuff from Furryletters on ebay, a few things to note about his sleeving. The cleancut sleeving is the best but it doesn't come in colors.
You can get 25ft of 1/8" cleancut for about $5 ($2 shipping). It's a tri-weave similar to murdermod. However, murdermod is the best stuff around, also the most expensive.
The blue that I used is a techflex, its a standard weave and colors WILL show through. So I decided to only use it on black wires so it just ends up being a bit darker blue.
Instead of yellow or orange showing through blue. Keep that in mind if you are going to do colored sleeving. www.mdpc-x.com sells high end colored sleeving but it'll cost you.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions based on what I've learned so far. Have fun sleeving!

Last edited:
Back