Timeshift Demo!

And the servers will probably be slammed like with Empire at War a couple weeks ago. :p Oh well, i won't get to try it out for a few days anyway, so they'll probably be back to normal by then.

Well the demo is good fun and runs well. Definitely a console port though.

I like the time shifting. Good fun stopping time and blowing a group of peoples heads away then seeing them all drop to the floor dead when the time thing runs out. Kind of an extension of Bullet time. Didnt really see the point of the rewind though. It didnt seem to do anything. Couldnt rewind explosions or kills. Only the background animations seemed to reverse.

Oh and it took WAAAAAAAY longer (25 mins at 480k from gamespot) to download than finish the demo. Less than 5 minutes to complete and a further 15 replay to play around with the different weapons and all the time stuff.

Will keep my eye on this. Could turn out to be a laugh

Why do i think its a console port?, well The gfx are very colourful and the whole level has that plastic laminated look that Perfect Dark Zero had. I know thats not enough to convince anyone of a port but it just looks and FEELS like a console game to me. More specifically an XBOX 360 port. I dont know how to explain it, but when i play a game that has been ported from a console to a pc, there is a different 'feel' to it. Like you can tell it has been ported. The only game i played that i couldnt tell was Area 51. That was a good one.

Anyway back to Timeshift. The size of the level itself also leads me to believe it was designed for a console, being small enough to fit into limited memory. Still, even the 360 can handle levels a hell of a lot bigger.

Gamespot say to 'check out a full playable level of timeshift'. If thats an entire level then i'm gonna have the entire game cracked in just over 2 hours. I suspect it isnt a full level and just a 'chapter' of the level.

Now i'm not knocking the game just because, to me, it feels like a console port. I was just saying that in my opinion it definitely IS a port.

I could be wrong. They could have ported the PC version to the 360. Who knows.

Skirrow said:
Why do i think its a console port?, well The gfx are very colourful and the whole level has that plastic laminated look that Perfect Dark Zero had. I know thats not enough to convince anyone of a port but it just looks and FEELS like a console game to me. More specifically an XBOX 360 port. I dont know how to explain it, but when i play a game that has been ported from a console to a pc, there is a different 'feel' to it. Like you can tell it has been ported. The only game i played that i couldnt tell was Area 51. That was a good one.

Anyway back to Timeshift. The size of the level itself also leads me to believe it was designed for a console, being small enough to fit into limited memory. Still, even the 360 can handle levels a hell of a lot bigger.

Gamespot say to 'check out a full playable level of timeshift'. If thats an entire level then i'm gonna have the entire game cracked in just over 2 hours. I suspect it isnt a full level and just a 'chapter' of the level.

Now i'm not knocking the game just because, to me, it feels like a console port. I was just saying that in my opinion it definitely IS a port.

I could be wrong. They could have ported the PC version to the 360. Who knows.

^^ I know what you mean... it's a subtle "plain-ness" that you can tell was designed to look cool on a TV, but not a PC monitor... granted the 360 is pushing TV graphics to near PC monitor levels, well, closer than they have been in the past, but you get the idea... anyways, I am going to fire this game up when I get home later... the screenies I have seen look like they were taken from a 360... which kind of bummed me out, but I will check it for reals on my own tonight. anyways...

Fair enough on the console port issue. But I think we have been seeing more of the 'plastic' feel since Doom3. I don't know what engine Timeshift is using, but any game that uses the same engine as the Doom3 engine is...to me....crap. I can't stand the 'plastic' feel myself.

And as far as Timeshift goes, I read the same thing...that this demo was a single level of the game and is was super short. So it is off of my computer already.

So, I guess the question will be......will the PC version cost more or less than the 360 version??? Any guesses? I would say the 360 will go for 60 bucks.
Has there been any talk of a demo being released for the 360 via XBL??? ;)

Tiny said:
Fair enough on the console port issue. But I think we have been seeing more of the 'plastic' feel since Doom3. I don't know what engine Timeshift is using, but any game that uses the same engine as the Doom3 engine is...to me....crap. I can't stand the 'plastic' feel myself.

And as far as Timeshift goes, I read the same thing...that this demo was a single level of the game and is was super short. So it is off of my computer already.

It uses Saber Interactive's proprietary Saber3D game engine... I am also kind of bored of the doom3 engine really, after playing FEAR everything else seems sort of steril... can't move objects or damage the env... sort of simple env mappings.. hrm.... I really loved what VU did with making FEAR's env sooo realistic. If they reduced the environment object's sensitivity to the character, it would have been damn near perfect. imo.

Anyways..... this is getting OT.

So, how do you guys like the gameplay? Is it fun? Look promising?

I remember reading about this game, and saying "Woah, can't wait!"

I didnt like it ;/ i like hl2/counterstrike but hate unreal tournament type games. that game just doesnt "feel" right

I'm dloading at 500kb/s at fileshack. I'm looking forward to trying this game when I get home!

Interesting concept to say at the least. Demo was really short, cant tell if it will be worth my 50 or not.

The best way to tell if it is a console port in my opinion is the menu system and the graphic options, they are usually over simplified and in some cases you can't even use your MOUSE on the damn menus properly. NFSU or NFSU2, or just about ANY Star Wars game...sigh.

^^ QFT.. the Path of Neo game was disgustingly like that... no mouse use in the menu... terrible terrible port to the pc.. wow.. really bad.. whew..

Another thing I noticed with this game, is that it is very demanding!!! With the rig in my sig, I have to run Medium/Low settings with no AA and no AF. I know its not the best out there, but all the other games I played including F.E.A.R, Quake 4, Far Cry and BF2, I get High/Medium settings with some AA and AF with the rig in my sig

Well.....I played this on my shuttle.....3500+ and 6600GT. Had everything on high except no AA. It ran ok at 1024x768.
This has a last generation graphic look, at least on the shuttle.
I liked that flame thrower thing.
The time bending is sorta lame. It seems like a gimmick is all. I really didnt like it that much in FEAR, thought it was like cheating.
This looks like it should be on the 360 and not the PC and is sorta same old,same old.
Really short,too. If thats a level this thing will last about an hour. :eek:

ive downloaded this 3 times from 3 different websites...and i keep getting the same error

Error Code: -6001

PLease do the following:
-Close any running programs
-Empty your temp folder
-Check your Internet Connection (Internet-based Setups)

Then try to run the Setup again

...i did all that and it just wont work...anyone else getting these probs?

AndoOKC1 said:
ive downloaded this 3 times from 3 different websites...and i keep getting the same error

Error Code: -6001

PLease do the following:
-Close any running programs
-Empty your temp folder
-Check your Internet Connection (Internet-based Setups)

Then try to run the Setup again

...i did all that and it just wont work...anyone else getting these probs?
From GameSpot. It worked for me.

"Got it. The solution was posted in a thread below that i didn't previously see. Sorry. Here ya go. It worked for me.

If you get an InstallShield error code -6001 during setup, try simply deleting the following folder from your computer and attempt to run the installer again:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701

If this fails to correct the problem, we recommend you RENAME (not delete) the entire C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\ folder and try again. You may rename the folder to anything you like, but we recommend something similar to 'InstallShield-old'. "

Liquid Spark said:
From GameSpot. It worked for me.

"Got it. The solution was posted in a thread below that i didn't previously see. Sorry. Here ya go. It worked for me.

If you get an InstallShield error code -6001 during setup, try simply deleting the following folder from your computer and attempt to run the installer again:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701

Thanks, I was having the same problem, that fixed it for me.

thanks...foudn it also on atari's site...works now but runs like crap b/c it stutters...frame rates are decent but stutters like a 386 playing quake. Cant wait till my G.Skill HZ 2gb come in tomorrow...i hope it helps.

mi1stormilst said:
The best way to tell if it is a console port in my opinion is the menu system and the graphic options, they are usually over simplified and in some cases you can't even use your MOUSE on the damn menus properly. NFSU or NFSU2, or just about ANY Star Wars game...sigh.

The game has a decent amount of options in the menus, so I guess that's covered.

As for the gameplay, it's nothing special. Like a few others have stated the whole time control thing feels very gimmicky.

Just as the screenshots and art direction imply, the game is mediocre and derivative. Nothing special here at all, definitely not going to be worth a purchase.

Hrm....... it's kinda cool... not sure about it yet... I jacked all the settings up to max, HDR on with 2x AA @ 1600x1200 and the textures are pretty good... they're like kind of blurry until you approach them, then they sharpen up and get that bumpy laminated look... but the game would sort of "stutter" in a way like my machine was swapping of the hard disk or something...and I have 2gb of memory... maybe that's not enough?? whoa... wouldn't that be a thing. lol. Anyways... sort of average "feeling" engine... actually, the movement is sort of "laggy"... I felt a little disconnected from the game play, as a result. ...and the character models and some decorations in the background were quite average also..... well, it is a demo... I might have to play it a little more when I am not so wiped out... maybe form a differen opinion. ;)

Back