Time Warner to Add Al Jazerra America to Lineup

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Al Jazerra America will be added to the Time Warner Cable lineup this year, giving the Qatar-based broadcaster exposure to millions of American homes according to an announcement made this week.

Al Jazeera America’s interim chief executive, estimated that once the deal was fully in effect, the channel would be available in about 54 million of the 100 million American homes that subscribe to satellite and cable television, up from about 44 million homes now.

oh, yeah, we sure need to support that terrorist element of our society, now we can give them their terrorist news service. (NSA, please note this is sarcasm. I don't really support terrorists.)

So, instead of 44 million who won't watch AJ, there will be 54 million who won't watch. Must be nice to have so much money to waste and still be a fabulously wealthy oil sheikdom.

I've got DirecTV and I've watched it a couple of times out of curiosity. Wanted to make a judgment call myself vs just jumping on the bandwagon due to the name.

I'll admit I was surprised. It reminds me a good bit of BBC news, mainly British with a dash of American news anchors with more of a world view take on news throughout the world. The American pieces of news were actually non-biased for once (as opposed to pretty much all of our news networks). I was a bit shocked.

oh, yeah, we sure need to support that terrorist element of our society, now we can give them their terrorist news service. (NSA, please note this is sarcasm. I don't really support terrorists.)

Arabic news = TERRORIST NEWS

Those damn dirty Arabs be taking away ma freedoms! In all seriousness, that's pretty racist. I like how as a society we're afraid to be racist around black Americans, but we vilify Arabs. No sorry, I mean terrorists.

I for one will enjoy my terrorist news. I suspect they would be less likely to push US corporate bias. Also to note, they have something like 6 minutes of commercials per hour, compared to atleast 10 advertisements for hearing aids, super shammys, and slap chops you get on the other news stations.

I've got DirecTV and I've watched it a couple of times out of curiosity. Wanted to make a judgment call myself vs just jumping on the bandwagon due to the name.

I'll admit I was surprised. It reminds me a good bit of BBC news, mainly British with a dash of American news anchors with more of a world view take on news throughout the world. The American pieces of news were actually non-biased for once (as opposed to pretty much all of our news networks). I was a bit shocked.

Same experience when I opened my eyes and found out there were more people in the world than in my neighborhood. Sometimes you have to open your eyes and see what's going on in the world to make a judgement call on the world.

:)

I don't use cable TV but this could be nice for my parents, I hope Comcast does the same and doesn't pander to the local fringe.

There is no doubt, this is propaganda.

Canceling my entire cable package on Friday, due this.

I cancelled mine 7 years back because of how pricey it was...and how much of an abyss it was entertainment wise compared to price.

Holy cow, this thread went Fox News quick. Al Jazerra is remarkably unbiased, compared to the garbage American TV news sources of CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC. BBC News, Al Jazerra, and Das Spiegel are some of the most unbiased, quality reporting sources of information available.

they should change the name of it to what it actually is: TNN (the Terrorist News Network)

You mean fox news right?

they should change the name of it to what it actually is: TNN (the Terrorist News Network)

I agree that Fox News should change their names to The Terrorist News Netowork.

English Al Jazerra on the other hand is rated as one of the best news agencies in the world

There is no doubt, this is propaganda.

Canceling my entire cable package on Friday, due this.

You are cancelling because Time Warner is carrying Fox News?
Bravo sir. Bravo.

Al Jazerra is respected as one of the best and unbiased news sources in the world.
Something no Murdoch owned company could ever achieve

Well, I don't have cable so this doesn't affect me directly, but I am a big proponent of having as many different news sources available as possible. Not because of the quality of the news any given outlet produces, but because it allows me to understand other peoples' and cultures' point of view and where they're coming from. It's downright scary what you hear on some rural radio stations here in the U.S., expecially when you hit the seek button and end up back at the same crazy station you started on and realize this is the only source of news the locals might be exposed to on a regular basis...comparatively Fox News really is fair and balanced.

Remember who their main income comes from. Will you get all the news concerning the middle east? Or just the stuff that doesn't get their reporters shot?

It's already like that in the other news agencies. Fear of retribution colors news that will rile up fundamentalist factions.

The amount of ignorance in this forum (and our country) is very disturbing. I've been following AL Jazerra's news reporting for years and have never considered them a bias terrorist network. If anything, I'd say it's the complete opposite of being bias to any culture. Some of you need to educate yourselves before you speak/post. Give them a chance before you jump to assumptions.

Please explain how Al Jazeera is a terrorist news service.

Arabic news = TERRORIST NEWS

Those damn dirty Arabs be taking away ma freedoms! In all seriousness, that's pretty racist. I like how as a society we're afraid to be racist around black Americans, but we vilify Arabs. No sorry, I mean terrorists.

It's not Arabs, or any Middle Eastern race, I'm accusing here. Al Jazerra has been a long time promoter of terrorist actions and pushes extremist propaganda. That's the point I'm making here. Don't get it confused.

Please explain how Al Jazeera is a terrorist news service.

Its not, people just assume it is.

When you look back at the old terrorist killings, Al Jazeera had them live, but it wasn't because they supported terrorism, but they were given a news feed and used it. Because of that, people automatically assume they are part of the organization when they are just the same as the US version of CNN.

They are an unbiased news network (UNLIKE CNN, Fox, etc) and are not bad actually when it comes to news, they rate up there with BBC as far as I am concerned with news coverage.

Al Jazerra has always been fair and neutral in the Palestinian issue, right?

It's not Arabs, or any Middle Eastern race, I'm accusing here. Al Jazerra has been a long time promoter of terrorist actions and pushes extremist propaganda. That's the point I'm making here. Don't get it confused.

They don't "push" anything. They report on what is news. And in theMiddle East, guess what most news is? Further they're the only major common news outlet in that part of the world...so when terrorists make videos of course they send them to Al J.

What you're saying is the equivalent of, "Bill O'Reilly was a guest on Stewart's the Daily Show...therefore Stewart automatically agrees with everything Bill syas".

Al Jazerra has always been fair and neutral in the Palestinian issue, right?

What the hell is being "fair and neutral" on a topic like Palestine? I don't think there is any such thing. The Israelis came in and grabbed the land and don't want to give it back, the Palestinians have no real political power or sway and the Israelis keep wanting them to bendover which fuels the cycle of violence.

What would "fair and neutral" on Palestine look like on TV? I don't think there can be such a thing.

The Bulldozer incident comes to mind. Totally misreported by AJ.

The UN gave Israel the right to be a country. Does Islamic Doctrine supercede the UN now?

PS - The Israelis bought the land legally. It was only when they wanted to start a nation that things went ballastic.

I've heard people say this before but I don't think I've ever actually seen an example. Al-Jazeera is generally considered up there with the BBC in terms of being unbiased and that means having to hear dissenting views.

Even Donald Rumsfeld is a fan.

As opposed to the propaganda of the mainstream US news, which is just a shill for the welfare-warfare state?

Two propaganda sources do not make a right...;)

We need to get rid of the home-grown propaganda, but adding foreign propaganda to the mix surely won't help with that...;)

What the hell is being "fair and neutral" on a topic like Palestine? I don't think there is any such thing. The Israelis came in and grabbed the land and don't want to give it back, the Palestinians have no real political power or sway and the Israelis keep wanting them to bendover which fuels the cycle of violence.

What would "fair and neutral" on Palestine look like on TV? I don't think there can be such a thing.

Fair and neutral would be Israel bombing Palestine and the Palestinians being told to just shut up and take it.

But wait, that's exactly what's happening now..

I don't usually post in news threads, but the comments at the beginning of this thread are appalling. I bet that if the name of the news outlet was something different than "Al Jazerra," there wouldn't be such outcry about it being a "terrorist news network." So, on that enormously stereotypical note, I offer my own two cents...

Algebra (a derivative of Al-Jabr). Terrorist math. They have been secretly infiltrating the world with this for centuries! You know what we need? Amerigebra, taught by Foxnews and edited by MSNBC. Math for real patriots.

Algorithm. Again, terrorist propaganda used every day (especially in computer science). Damn, those rag heads have infiltrated out 'puters too! We need to let the NSA have blanket control of the interwebs to stop this outrage!

...it makes me sad that people can still be so incredibly ignorant.

Glad to see people are determined to prevent exposure to multiple viewpoints on any given issue.

Fair and neutral would be Israel bombing Palestine and the Palestinians being told to just shut up and take it.

But wait, that's exactly what's happening now..

lol @ that jew cock sucking contest

Well, let's look at AJ's feed for today. Looks OK, until you realize what is NOT there.

A) Iran weeks away from having enough U235 to build warhead. MIA

B) Women driving again in protest in Saudi Arabia. Just puke the AP feed, no AJ reporters.

C) Israel releases 26 Palestian prisoners to help with peace talks brokered by the US. MIA

D) Christians get lashes in Iran for having communion. MIA

I could go on. It's not that they aren't fair reporting. It's their selection of stories.

Anyone else think these stories are pointless?

PS - That's the US feed! The Arab feed is usually more strict.

It is naive to think that ANY news source is not colored by the editors and investors. AJ ain't angels.

95% of current news couldn't get more biased. Al Jazerra has the possibility to be much less biased than even stations like ABC.

It will be interesting to see them report on the middle east though. If they turn out to be neutral, the middle east topics might not be their strong point for neutrality?

95% of current news couldn't get more biased. Al Jazerra has the possibility to be much less biased than even stations like ABC.

It will be interesting to see them report on the middle east though. If they turn out to be neutral, the middle east topics might not be their strong point for neutrality?

It's the nature of the beast. They cannot be neutral in countries where they kill or jail you for disagreeing with status quo. Which happens to the middle east right now.

If someone went to a country AJ is primarily supported from and started broadcasting issues with a spin that went against popular perception. That person would have a lifespan of a few weeks or days.

I just have trouble fathoming at the idiocy displayed here, especially self-loathing idiocy.

Back