Time Warner Not Responsible for WoW Disconnections?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Earlier this week, Time Warner Cable was being blamed for really bad lag by WoW players on the east coast that were not able to connect to game servers. Well, a Time Warner rep has responded to the allegations, denying they had anything to do with the problems.

I'm the director of digital communications at Time Warner Cable, and I'd like to bring some clarity to this discussion. We're happy to to take our lumps when we've earned them, but it doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Knowing how Blizzard has behaved in the past I can easily believe this. Blizzard blames anyone they can lately for their own faults. Remember when they constantly complained about Hardware Accelerated sound and then removed it from the game entirely.

As likely as it is that this is Blizzard's fault, I'm going to side with them, and blame Time Warner, as I dislike them almost as much as I dislike AT&T.

Knowing how Blizzard has behaved in the past I can easily believe this. Blizzard blames anyone they can lately for their own faults. Remember when they constantly complained about Hardware Accelerated sound and then removed it from the game entirely.

Indeed. Blizzard is the master of "It's someone elses fault," "You're doing it wrong," and they're favorite "It's working as intended."

As likely as it is that this is Blizzard's fault, I'm going to side with them, and blame Time Warner, as I dislike them almost as much as I dislike AT&T.

Ok wait this is NOT a flame toward you or anything like that I just want to make sure that I read this right. BUT you blame Time Warner just because you dislike them or is there a reason behind this??

I am more apt to agree with Time Warner because I know of the things that Blizz has done in the past.

Ok wait this is NOT a flame toward you or anything like that I just want to make sure that I read this right. BUT you blame Time Warner just because you dislike them or is there a reason behind this??
QUOTE]

Welcome to the internet, I will be your personal tour guide, please keep in mind idiots control most of the regions here, it is advised to keep all limbs within confinement of the transportation device at all times.

Who cares about the east coast servers. When are they going to fix the evading dragonmaw transporter bug dammit :p

I got a better idea...just shut down ALL the servers so I can get my pr0n and torrents at "intended" speeds.

Oops...sorry about the sarcasm puddle on the floor.

By the looks of it, TW is to blame...to a degree. They say it isn't their fault since the lag occurs "off of their network" but if you notice how he describes it, it appears to be the fault(s) of border routers that connect their network with the internet backbone...so wouldn't that make it their problem?

The TW guy's response was interesting, considering that the trace may not have been on their network, or after their hops. But it could have contributed it. If the trace goes Home 18ms ->TWC 18ms ->Verizon 130ms.. The rise in time would be from the TWC to Verizon.... Maybe I'm wrong....

You do realize that there are a lot of people switching to Verizon FIOS and no longer having a problem? You think Blizzard is filtering TW IP addresses? How else could that be explained?

Blizzard is not an ISP, they are a destination.

Welcome to the internet, I will be your personal tour guide, please keep in mind idiots control most of the regions here, it is advised to keep all limbs within confinement of the transportation device at all times.

hahahahhaha

Bone, that's totally going in my sig :D

How else could that be explained?

Internet traffic does not go straight from point A to point B. If you actually look at the traceroutes you see where the problem occurs. If Verizon has a different upstream provider it will take a different route. It's like blaming your city's DOT, since they provide the roads getting to the interstate for a delay on the interstate the next county over. Unfortunately very few people can seemingly grasp the concept that problems on the internet aren't usually just either A or Z but easily anything in between them.

Internet traffic does not go straight from point A to point B. If you actually look at the traceroutes you see where the problem occurs. If Verizon has a different upstream provider it will take a different route. It's like blaming your city's DOT, since they provide the roads getting to the interstate for a delay on the interstate the next county over. Unfortunately very few people can seemingly grasp the concept that problems on the internet aren't usually just either A or Z but easily anything in between them.

This is correct. In the case of TW they have to buy transit services from the ILEC carriers such AT&T or Verizon. Verizon FiOS service is directly connected to the Verizon Business (old MCI/Worldcom/UUnet) backbone so most of their customers stay directly in the Verizon network until such time that they hit the peering point to the destination they need to go.

Back