Time Warner Cable Customers Are Fleeing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Time Warner is losing its customers by the hundreds of thousands within the past year and to stem the tide of loss and reward the customers that stay, Time Warner has developed a unique strategy: just raise the rates. :D

The Wall Street Journal reports that TWC lost 825,000 TV users in 2013, which amounts to almost 7% of its entire customer base.

We had Insight around here before they were bought out by TWC. :(

If the att press release is true att gained about 800,000 net subscribers last quarter I believe.

As more people get their media direct from the net, this is going to happen. If they want to protect profits, they need to do a few things harmful to their customers. Meter internet more strictly, raise prices, and give low priority or occasionally block packets packets containing competing media. Of course they would be lambasted for that, and rightly so.

What is truly unfortunate is that in most places there is no competition.

Our area is probably around 250,000 in a 30 mile radius.
All we have is TimeWarner unless you take into account Dishes.

There's nothing stopping rate hikes, bad service, and a poor attitude.:(

What is truly unfortunate is that in most places there is no competition.

Our area is probably around 250,000 in a 30 mile radius.
All we have is TimeWarner unless you take into account Dishes.

There's nothing stopping rate hikes, bad service, and a poor attitude.:(

Same here in Alexandria VA with Comcast, everyone else has a choice in our area but my city since they shot down Verizon's proposals for FIOS a few years back due to the chance it could harm some of the historic sites.

I pay more for 30 down / 5 up internet only from TWC than a new customer who gets phone, cable, and internet bundled. I do not want Cable or phone ever. So they really need to stop forcing that as an option.

I could go to Fios in my area, but the customer service and contract BS is even worse.

Where I live they have an outright monopoly and the "best Internet."

Believe me I'd LOVE to dump them post haste but unfortunately I really don't have any other respectable alternatives for Internet. 45805 zip for whatever that's worth.

They are screwing people on rates to be sure.

I only have the option of Time Warner here or dish. Dish, no matter what company is awful. So, I am stuck with Time Warner for internet and tv. I wish they would increase the internet speeds for no additional cost. I pay around 140 for Tv with DVR, security, phone, and 70mbs roadrunner. I would like 90mbps down and 15 up RR for the same cost.

I only have the option of Time Warner here or dish. Dish, no matter what company is awful. So, I am stuck with Time Warner for internet and tv. I wish they would increase the internet speeds for no additional cost. I pay around 140 for Tv with DVR, security, phone, and 70mbs roadrunner. I would like 90mbps down and 15 up RR for the same cost.

My rates with TWC are a lot worse than what you just described here.

Wallstreet is ignorant of cable cutting, so they won't allow them to react.

Where I live they have an outright monopoly and the "best Internet."

Believe me I'd LOVE to dump them post haste but unfortunately I really don't have any other respectable alternatives for Internet. 45805 zip for whatever that's worth.

They are screwing people on rates to be sure.

They lost TV users. Most likely kept their internet and switched to streaming to help replace lost TV

They keep raising rates for everything here in our area. There is no major contenders for any type of competition, FIOS is only in a very small area here.

So, if you want actual highspeed you are getting cable.

Mean while, there are 5 commercials an hour watching TV that have ads for TWC that have stupid low introductory rates for new customers, meanwhile for the same product I am paying $50 a more a month then those new rates.

I can't imagine why customers would be getting fed up and just canceling their cable.

Cable box, special features on channels don't work half the time, want to watch prime time demand or another "free" service on their box, you have to unplug the box, wait 10 minutes for it to boot before it might work. I get more degradation in the signal watching TV then when I used to have over the air reception.

It doesn't help at all when their set-top boxes are buggy pieces of shit. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that Time Warner Cable's set-top boxes make Windows ME look positively stable. Yes, I went there!

Their set-top boxes and that Navigator UI that's slow as shit, sometimes getting the guide up is like trying to herd cats. They do have a web-based DVR management web site where people can manage their DVR's record functionality on a web site but that thing, as you may have guessed, is buggy as shit. I often times, when I had Time Warner Cable, sent a command to record a program only to find that it wasn't at all recorded. I learned that if I set something up to record on the web site, check the box itself to see if it received the command. More often than not, it didn't and so I had to set it to record on the box. What use is a DVR management web site if it doesn't work!

They're bad here, Sure, AT&T is here too, but they're more expensive and worse. I've had both and TWC is the lesser of 2 evils.
I've went from $100 a month for cable/ phone and net to $180 a month in a year's time.
To make matters worse, the past 6 months I've been spending 3 hours at a time on the phone with support at least twice a month trying to get my services fixed because they're constantly going out.
I've got $30+ credit to my bill each month due to the outage times and waiting a week+ every time for a tech to come out.
After talking with retention, I got my bill cut down to $150 a month, but I'm still talking to techs every few days.
I've rewired the cable in the house, added boosters and filters, and installed new boxes and modems.
The only thing left to do is fix the real problem, the lines on the poles, but rural area, they don't want to fix that.
I'm praying for Google fiber just because I'd love to tell those @ssholes to put these boxes where the sun don't shine.
Hell, I had Armstrong when I lived near Wooster Ohio and they were fantastic. Techs would show up with new boxes and modems or to run new lines in the house or even to it before I had a chance to call because they monitored their network for drops in signals and other errors.
One time I unplugged the modem and put it up to ground my nephew off of XBL when I caught him telling someone he was going to rape their mother at his sweet and tender age of 12... Yeah, I know... And a tech showed up the next morning, modem in hand asking to fix my service.
Really, If they started offering around here I'd go Armstrong in a heartbeat too. Good prices, they never jacked up my bill either.

My experience with AT&T uVerse is completely different. I've had them for nearly six months and they have been quite stable. No issues whatsoever and their set-top boxes are a hell of a lot more stable than Time Warner Cable's were.

tumblr_mw40u9YgaC1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Hell, I had Armstrong when I lived near Wooster Ohio and they were fantastic. Techs would show up with new boxes and modems or to run new lines in the house or even to it before I had a chance to call because they monitored their network for drops in signals and other errors.
One time I unplugged the modem and put it up to ground my nephew off of XBL when I caught him telling someone he was going to rape their mother at his sweet and tender age of 12... Yeah, I know... And a tech showed up the next morning, modem in hand asking to fix my service.
Really, If they started offering around here I'd go Armstrong in a heartbeat too. Good prices, they never jacked up my bill either.

Armstrong isn't much better than the big boys these days. They hit Internet customers with a 150GB monthly data cap this past spring, and you get 50GB more if you get telephone through them and another 50GB for subscribing to TV. So...yeah, they're trying to force you to buy all of their services.

And of course, their prices didn't go down.

We had Insight around here before they were bought out by TWC. :(
You must be close to me, small world. I miss insightbb.
$110 per month for 50mb / 5 internet here from TWC.

I have 50/5 right now and it costs 75 a month. It would be 64 but they insist on charging me a modem rental. With 50Meg the modem is supposed to be free but all they will issue for docsis 3 here is modem router combos which i HATE. That makes it unqualify for the free modem so now they get to charge a TWC wifi because of the modem when i use my own router.

Im just waiting for charter to buy them out. TWC is pushing out a la carte tv already. Ive looked at them both closely and i can say it will be a upgrade thats for sure.

Remember though, Everyone hates their cable provider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

My 50/5 was $75 a month and then they raised the rate to $110 in January.

I have TWC here in North Texas -- cable only, no phone, no TV, own my modem outright.

My bill for 15 down/1 up is 36 a month after taxes and everything. No caps, no throttling, there may have been 1 day in the past 6 months when it was "down" but it was more than likely due to the 16 degree weather and 2" of ice that was snapping poles left and right.

Overall I'm pretty happy -- $1/day for totally unrestricted internet access, no mind games, no fluff. Even the tech that came out to install it was kinda cool and we talked nerd stuff for about 10 minutes. I could get 50 down 5 up if I wanted to pay $65/month but I just don't need that kinda bandwidth currently. still nice to have the option.

I'm sure they will try some trickery on me when it comes time to renew after a year, I do have other options (but I hate AT&T DSL so damn much)

Hell they even credited me my first months bill back to me after the third party installer botched the setup time by a day.

Compared to what we have now I would love TWC. We have the awesome choice of Satellite or Wireless beamed to us. We have the wireless. The service sucks ass. 3Mbps down 375Kbps up. 75gb soft cap paying 56.63 monthly. Best of all the ISP threaten to black list me for complaining because the service was so bad that we would have been better with Dialup. torchlake,com is the isp.

TWC would be a god send compared to these guys. :s

Compared to what we have now I would love TWC. We have the awesome choice of Satellite or Wireless beamed to us. We have the wireless. The service sucks ass. 3Mbps down 375Kbps up. 75gb soft cap paying 56.63 monthly. Best of all the ISP threaten to black list me for complaining because the service was so bad that we would have been better with Dialup. torchlake,com is the isp.

TWC would be a god send compared to these guys. :s

Forgot no edit button. Anyways I failed to mention how that we supposedly have interference here causing the service to spike in latency 200ms-9874ms or worse constantly. I did tests and sight surveys. Nothing I can find besides the router maybe being to close to the wireless radio outside. Even did tests with no router involved and it still was crap results. Ya for being rural and major ISPs like Verizon/Charter/ATT running .2 miles away on the main highway but won't consider running down this road.

Here in Kansas CIty, TWC has taken a big hit. After getting Google Fiber, we turned our equipment at one of their two physical stores in the area. They had 5 reps taking returns and they had quite a line. Took us 20 min just to get to one of them and we were done in a couple minutes.

I have TWC here in North Texas -- cable only, no phone, no TV, own my modem outright.

My bill for 15 down/1 up is 36 a month after taxes and everything. No caps, no throttling,

I got 10mbps down/ 1 up for $29. then TWC upgraded to 15mbps at no additional cost.
I am happy with TWC so far here in NC.

There is AT&T Uverse here that is available recently but it is more expensive. it costs $40 for 12mbps.

1 up is the problem for me. To get better upload you gotta pay through the nose. We just deal with the slowness.

1 up is the problem for me. To get better upload you gotta pay through the nose. We just deal with the slowness.

True -- I'd love 5up - but when i REALLY think about it, I would never use it. Not for anything legitimate anyways. I think the most I do that requires a beefy upload is send a 10meg email every few months, maybe sync dropbox a time or two with some new stuff.

True -- I'd love 5up - but when i REALLY think about it, I would never use it. Not for anything legitimate anyways. I think the most I do that requires a beefy upload is send a 10meg email every few months, maybe sync dropbox a time or two with some new stuff.

Anyone that streams gameplay videos or does video calls could use the couple extra megs of upload.

TWC sent me a letter about a month ago saying because I was such a great customer they were lowering my bill by about $15 and that price was locked in for the next year.

But my Mom's bill just went up by about 40% and all she gets is the standard cable with the slowest internet. I told her to call and ask to have it all shut off. When she did, they set her back her old rate.

damn you people are making me jealous.

TWC costs me $125 a month for 15/1 in my area...............and they are my only option. That is with phone/basic cable (no dvr or set top boxes).....very basic cable.....

TWC is a joke. I had fios for a few years after I moved to a new apartment, was guaranteed the next place I moved (temporary until I decide to buy a house) would have Fios.. well they didn't. So I'm stuck with TWC or AT&T uverse.

TWC's customer service is GARBAGE. They repeatedly would call me at work when I had someone scheduled to come to the house the next day telling me how they fixed my internet by resending the signal (shit that they verified hadn't worked the past 10 times they tried).

Not to mention the guy calling to verify showing up at a certain hour, then never fucking showing up.

Having to prove to them that I had jitter by forcing them to get me up to their highest level of support Engineers.

I wasted probably 15 hours on the phone with them morons until they finally came out and replaced my modem. On top of seriously bad jitter I would get packet loss upwards of 30%, AND their shitty modem would drop connections randomly between 15 seconds and an hour.

I'll be glad when I can get fios back. TWC is a terrible company for a plethora of reasons. And it's more expensive. I pay 84ish for 50/15. I used to get 150/65 on fios for 100. I could have had 65/

My bill for 15 down/1 up is 36 a month after taxes and everything. No caps, no throttling, there may have been 1 day in the past 6 months when it was "down" but it was more than likely due to the 16 degree weather and 2" of ice that was snapping poles left and right.

Overall I'm pretty happy -- $1/day for totally unrestricted internet access, no mind games, no fluff. Even the tech that came out to install it was kinda cool and we talked nerd stuff for about 10 minutes. I could get 50 down 5 up if I wanted to pay $65/month but I just don't need that kinda bandwidth currently. still nice to have the option.

I'm sure they will try some trickery on me when it comes time to renew after a year, I do have other options (but I hate AT&T DSL so damn much)

Hell they even credited me my first months bill back to me after the third party installer botched the setup time by a day.

Ah, Texas, the state that Time Warner was testing consumption based billing and data caps back in 2008.

"Plans start $30 for 768Kbps downloads and a 5GB cap, and go up to $55 for a pretty sweet 15Mbps downstream and a 40GB cap. "

http://gizmodo.com/5012427/time-warner-monthly-data-caps-detailed

Back