Time to upgrade the rig?

mikejustis

n00b
Hi I am getting the upgrade bug with Christmas coming on. I don't do much overclocking but I would like to have my comp be able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it. I was thinking of going with a Z370 mobo...THoughts? Here is my current setup.
Cosmos Ultra II
Asus RIVE BE
Intel Core i7 3930K
GTX 970sc
Thermalright True Black Ultra 120 Extreme Edition
G.SKILL RipjawsZ 16GB 4gbx4 F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2psu
Samsung 850 PRO 256gb Boot ssd
Crucial M4 128gb Programs ssd
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well that PSU is certainly overkill and can be kept around. You'll need to decide if you want to go AMD or intel and can't go wrong with either really. Then depending on what you want to spend on GPU will probably determine that one assuming you want to stick with nvidia.

If you are gaming, your weakest link right off the bat is that 970sc. Before gutting everything and spending big $, odds are you would want to upgrade your GPU regardless. So, you might want to consider just buying a good GPU first... something like a used 1080Ti would be a massive upgrade. Drop that into your rig and it might just be enough to satisfy that upgrade itch and let you ride it out a bit longer so that when you do finally go whole hog, it'll be a massive leap forward. Your CPU/RAM/MB really aren't all that bad... perhaps upgrade your programs SSD to something a bit larger as well?

Agree with supercharged.

Your thread title suggests you're asking us if it's time to upgrade.

I'd say time to upgrade the GPU. Your CPU is likely still fine depending on what you're doing. What's your CPU OC'd to?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was going to drop my current rig into my son's to replace his really old X58 build and get an entire new build. Might just put that off and go with getting a new GPU put my current one in his with more memory. He is 11.. fortnight and YouTube don't require much. Thanks again!

gpu upgrade is a wise choice. right now is a tough time to go with the complete rig upgrade. rumor has it that amd is going to be swinging for the fences come april. if you can hold off until then the upgrade landscape is most likely going to look alot different.

Get a RTX 2070 for $500, that should suffice.

Maybe a cheap z370 plus 8600k would work also

Wouldnt that 3930k bottleneck the 1080 ti? It would be a great start to upgrading, but I think a cpu upgrade should be in the works too if going with a 1080 ti.

Overclock it to 4.2, get a gtx 1080ti, save your money or buy a monitor/headset/VR if you don’t have one, and profit on all the money you just saved:)

You can thank me later;)

Hey you can probably get a nice new Xeon for that x58 system for dirt cheap too...I think I read somewhere the w3xxx had the code to still run asscreed games vs the e56xx series, I could be wrong.

https://hardforum.com/threads/1366-x58-xeon-enthusiast-overclocks-club.1820772/

It’s amazing thread if you having seen it!

Nehalem era CPU's definitely have a place in PC gaming. (see my signature)

But, I can't in good conscience recommend them any longer for a serious gamer.

The IPC just isn't there and thusly your experience suffers in newer titles.

ie. If you wanna play Esports titles like Fornite, it's more than enough. Games like Assassins Creed Odyssey on the other hand, expect 45 fps instead of the 60 you'd get on a Sandy Bridge or newer era CPU.

(I speak from a lot of experience on the matter)

EDIT: Also, WHAT?? He's on the Sandy Bridge E platform, not X58....

Nehalem era CPU's definitely have a place in PC gaming. (see my signature)

But, I can't in good conscience recommend them any longer for a serious gamer.

The IPC just isn't there and thusly your experience suffers in newer titles.

ie. If you wanna play Esports titles like Fornite, it's more than enough. Games like Assassins Creed Odyssey on the other hand, expect 45 fps instead of the 60 you'd get on a Sandy Bridge or newer era CPU.

(I speak from a lot of experience on the matter)

EDIT: Also, WHAT?? He's on the Sandy Bridge E platform, not X58....

I hear you, it’s his old rig he said his son uses I was throwing in on...he could toss him that 970 too:).

I thought I read somewhere at some point that the intel Xeon W3670 W3680 W3690 vs X56xx might have that required codec for that engine to work properly in those games...that’s all done under unity right.

But yeah he’s rocking a sandy bride E.

I thought I read somewhere at some point that the intel Xeon W3670 W3680 W3690 vs X56xx might have that required codec for that engine to work properly in those games...that’s all done under unity right.

They patched that out within the first week....

It works great on my ancient Lynnfield X3470.

Back