Time to upgrade (need a bit of help)

xx0m3gaxx

Weaksauce
I don't post much (I tend to lurk a lot) but I need a bit of help in this case.

I am looking to upgrade my current storage system.

I am using Freenas with an AMD setup
Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182761
CPU
Opt 6172 12 Core 2.1Ghz
Mem
(8x4gb) 32gb ddr3 1333 ecc reg (ultra low profile)
Hdd
4X 4tb seagate /4x 2tb WD ( I am looking to going to hgst soon )
Case
http://www.aicipc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ref=RSC-4ED2

This config for me has worked great and I have had no problems....BUT I am looking to do a few things.

I really do not need 12 cores but the cpu I only paid 12$ for so I could not complain at that price point, I am looking to go with something with a more low power option to draw less power and quite things down a bit as well.

My current power draw is about 600-630 watts from the wall that is from...
pfs firebox
48 port gigabit switch
virtualization server
freenas server
battery backup
modem
kvm screen

Case
I am also looking to switch from my current case (see above) to a Norco RPC-4224 main reason for this is that I can not find parts for my case for any reasonable price point and I have been using norco cases for the past 4 years now and love the price/what you get trade off (also in my case I have a bad backplane) another thing is that with the norco case I can switch to a better rated psu for much cheaper.

Motherboard
As far as motherboard I would like to stay with supermicro as I have never had any problems with them at all. I rather buy a board new then used but if price is good enough I will get used per suggestions.
I only really need two pcie 8x slots and onboard video and lan I would like another 2 8x slots for things in the future like 10gb lan and maybe splitting the hdds between hba's

Cpu
I am open to intel/amd from what I have read it seems that intel is better for performance per watt with their low power chips ( i could be fully wrong at this and been miss lead) while amd is cheaper but uses more power, I am not sure how much freenas cares about number of cores vs clock per core

Budget
I would like to reuse any parts I can but If I have to buy different parts I am open to do so.
motherboard/cpu I would like to keep it under 400-500
case - 460 (about after shipping and tax)
In total I would like to keep this project under 1000-1200

I know this is a long post and I tried to make it as easy to find what I am trying to do as easy as possible. If I can add any info or any other info is needed let me know and I will add it asap.

ANY AND ALL suggestions are welcome I am very open about this and if you can give reasons as to why I should pick something over another (other then looks) then I will most likely go with that.

Thank you for replies/reading this

Back