Time to upgrade my PSU, but I am unsure on which one to get.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an older Ultra X3 1000w PSU I bought used back in 2008. It has served me well but recent problems have me wanting to get a new PSU. My system is in Signature. I am on a fairly tight budget of ~$100 and would like to get something modular if possible. Not even sure what size I need to get, I know I don't need a 1000watts but how low can I go and be safe and have room for upgrades in the future.

Depends on what you plan to upgrade. A typical single GPU/CPU system is served well enough by a good 650 watt PSU. Go 750 watt if you want a little extra headroom if you plan to get the new super high power GPUs.

Depends on what you plan to upgrade. A typical single GPU/CPU system is served well enough by a good 650 watt PSU. Go 750 watt if you want a little extra headroom if you plan to get the new super high power GPUs.
No High End upgrades, just middle of the road equipment. Ryzen 7 3800X, Radeon RX 5500XT is what I am currently wishing for. Staying with a good 1080p system that fits in my budget.

Super Flower based PSUs are good. 650 watts will be more than sufficient.

I personally just bought a Corsair RM750x myself. As all the same specs of the Super Flower (albiet a decent more quiet), but its 750watt. Cost me $144 directly through Corsair. Should be coming in soon

I expected to hear brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec. Are these not quality PSUs anymore? I mean I trust you all and your suggestions, but I never heard of Super Flower and there the same price as the name brands I have heard of. Also I see these GameMax PSUs with pretty good reviews on Amazon and there cheaper than the other brands, are they any good? I am on Disability and every dollar counts, but I won't cut corners when it comes to quality, I need a good Stable PC.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I expected to hear brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec. Are these not quality PSUs anymore?

Depends on the specific model.

And none of those make their own PSUs themselves. At best they design the units but subcontract third-party companies to perform the actual manufacture.

Currently looking at the EVGA 700 BQ, It is well within my budget and has good reviews and EVGA seems to be well liked here on the [H]. I can't purchase anything till next Friday and prices change. Anyone care to change my mind?

EVGA is hit and miss on their budget line. Seasonic is the only brand as far as I am aware that is good quality at all levels.

I would look at the Seasonic Focus and Corsair RMx series. A more budget option would be the Seasonic S12II.

Currently looking at the EVGA 700 BQ, It is well within my budget and has good reviews and EVGA seems to be well liked here on the [H]. I can't purchase anything till next Friday and prices change. Anyone care to change my mind?

EVGA G3 stuff based on Super Flower are excellent PSUs.

EVGA is hit and miss on their budget line. Seasonic is the only brand as far as I am aware that is good quality at all levels.

I would look at the Seasonic Focus and Corsair RMx series. A more budget option would be the Seasonic S12II.
Just bought a Seasonic Focus GM-650. Thanks for all the great advice. Should I mount the PSU fan down? My case has a vent and filter to mount it that way but I always had mine fan up.

Back