Time to Upgrade? Bloomfield to Skylake

VitaminTee

Weaksauce
Hello - Looking for some feedback here. I used to be a big gamer up until about 5 or so years ago at which point I put away my water cooled 3.8ghz Bloomfield machine and have been using a PS4 for occasional gaming. With the advent of VR I've had a renewed interest in PC gaming. I was originally going to buy a new rig although I instead upgraded my ram to 12gb's and got a GTX 1080 along with the Vive and boom - everything seems to work pretty damn well.

That all said - I really have the itch for more modern hardware although from everything I've been able to read I'm not going to get much more out of an upgrade. This article for example: Bloomfield Takes on Skylake | PC Gamer

Wondering what some of you guys think? Particularly pertaining to whether or not the upgrade will improve my VR experience (Raw Data can bring my system to its knees). I almost think it would make more sense to get a Titan X Pascal over the CPU upgrade, but then again, I feel like I'm getting a little carried away!

When upgrading CPUs these days, what you really have to consider is the whole platform, not just the performance of the CPU itself. With Z170, you get great things like USB 3 (and 3.1?), m.2 slots, DDR4 memory, PCI Express 3.0 and so forth. USB3 is probably the biggest reason to upgrade if you do anything other than gaming - it makes a perceptible difference.

Before you upgrade, do some logging of CPU and GPU load while you're running VR games. I would guess that the limiting factor is probably your CPU, but I can't really be sure. Once you have some data, use that to inform your upgrade path.

When upgrading CPUs these days, what you really have to consider is the whole platform, not just the performance of the CPU itself. With Z170, you get great things like USB 3 (and 3.1?), m.2 slots, DDR4 memory, PCI Express 3.0 and so forth. USB3 is probably the biggest reason to upgrade if you do anything other than gaming - it makes a perceptible difference.

Before you upgrade, do some logging of CPU and GPU load while you're running VR games. I would guess that the limiting factor is probably your CPU, but I can't really be sure. Once you have some data, use that to inform your upgrade path.

I already have USB 3 on my current MOBO. That said I'm dealing with SATA II, moving to nvme would be a huge upgrade. So far my CPU has been no where near maxed is really any VR game so I don't think I'm going to get much of an improvement here.

I already have USB 3 on my current MOBO. That said I'm dealing with SATA II, moving to nvme would be a huge upgrade. So far my CPU has been no where near maxed is really any VR game so I don't think I'm going to get much of an improvement here.

I would grab a Hexa Core but if you like new shiny toys then upgrade.

Back