Time to Take Moore's Law is Dead Nvidia Article Seriously...

You still can’t get a card through auto notify unless you’re in some of the discords channels and eVGA still haven’t come close to filling their day 1 orders and step ups so yeah I’d say we’re pretty far from 300K

You still can’t get a card through auto notify unless you’re in some of the discords channels and eVGA still haven’t come close to filling their day 1 orders and step ups so yeah I’d say we’re pretty far from 300K
There will be a Super refresh before stock normalizes on these cards and Nvidia knows it lol.

I like how the lack of product discrediting the MLID article claim is somehow a win for team green.

I like how the lack of product discrediting the MLID article claim is somehow a win for team green.
Because it proves they weren't intentionally withholding product to artificially inflate demand? Because that would be a shitty thing to do.

Company not being shitty = win.

Because it proves they weren't intentionally withholding product to artificially inflate demand? Because that would be a shitty thing to do.

I think they are more or less intentionally withholding "cheap" cards due to margins. E.G. you won't find as many FE cards available compared to previous FE generations.

I would say his "stuff the channels" by the end of October is obviously incorrect, but what's the average price of the cards when they become available?

His point that $699 is a mirage is pretty spot on.

Last edited:
I think they are more or less intentionally withholding "cheap" cards due to margins. E.G. you won't find as many FE cards available compared to previous FE generations.
That's just good business sense. Margins do matter. No conspiracy needed. Kinda like how the magical 35K Tesla only existed on paper.

Hopefully this means we won't have to waste any more time discussing stupid youtube clickbait conspiracy theories... Which is a win for humanity.

Reactions: Epos7
like this

Oh company was still shitty, just maybe not that shitty.

That's just good business sense. Margins do matter. No conspiracy needed. Kinda like how the magical 35K Tesla only existed on paper.

Nvidia wants you to think that the 3080 costs $699 when it really costs $50-150 more depending on the model. There's really not a huge difference between cards from what I've seen. Not a lot of OCing room. So the thrifty consumer could save $120-150 by buying the FE card over a say an ROG Strix card (are they even available yet).

That's my biggest takeaway from the article. Some of the article can be correct without it all being correct. It's not all conspiracy theory.

I think we're heading toward a $999 3080Ti at some point. Nvidia gets a better margin. Consumers get near 3090 performance with less memory for $500 cheaper.

It actually exists, you just have to call and ask for it.

From my experience with 30 series cards so far, short of overclocking, all cards are functionally the same. Tested 3080 tuf, 3090 tuf, 3090 xc3, 3090 ftw3.

The 3090s play the same, the ftw has an edge on benchmarks but that edge is rarely noticable in games.

The ftw3 is ridiculous in stock form, it pulls 70w more for little fps difference. Xc3 will game all day at 78c and fan profile holds at 62% which is barely audible over my 5 140mm fans in case.

The higher tier cards are pure profit margin imho. xc3 avg clocks are within 10mhz of ftw3.

Do you have a link? The last thing I saw was that he said late October / early November.
Sorry, no I do not. He did greatly pull back from that in at least two pieces of followup content.

It would be interesting to compare 30XX Founders Edition availability to 20XX series. I don't believe the conspiracy theories. The conspiracists posit that it's all part of a scheme set an artificially low price to make Nvidia more money, but Nvidia is the one selling $699 cards.

Is there any evidence that Nvidia makes more money off a $899 partner card than they do a $699 one? Seems like they would just sell the parts at a set price, or do they get a cut of the partner's sales?

People realize the $699 cards are the best value. Thus, they have the most demand. Seems like we're reaching a point where the most newsworthy stories are conspiracy theories.

Is there any evidence that Nvidia makes more money off a $899 partner card than they do a $699 one? Seems like they would just sell the parts at a set price, or do they get a cut of the partner's sales?
There is a dance that could occur over the long run, even if they make more money on selling at the moment a $700 card versus a partner how much and how many partner can sell card can influence how much Nvidia can charge them for the next chips and how much/many can they sell depend on how much Nvidia make them a competition in the selling market.

That said it is not like it is much easier to buy an higher priced partner card than a $700 FE, so the easiest explanation about why it is hard to buy a $700 card could easily just be that there is not many card by buyer at all without any need for other explanation.

It would be interesting to compare 30XX Founders Edition availability to 20XX series. I don't believe the conspiracy theories. The conspiracists posit that it's all part of a scheme set an artificially low price to make Nvidia more money, but Nvidia is the one selling $699 cards.

People realize the $699 cards are the best value. Thus, they have the most demand. Seems like we're reaching a point where the most newsworthy stories are conspiracy theories.
NVIDIA isn't selling the $699 cards anymore, the theory is that the $699 pricepoint is designed to artificially inflate the perceived value to the consumer via early reviews, and NVIDIA makes money on every single GPU sold so losing (or not making much) money on a handful of GPUs at an artificially low MSRP still makes them more money through increased demand for partner cards.

meanwhile here in Canada, the backorder lists get filled out 1-3 3080 cards per store per weekday...Mind you one of our better chains just has like 50 stores nation wide. The evga queue is still on day 1 list, but that list was huge.

Every day few days new FE cards are being sold through authorized retailers, including here in Europe (and at MSRP as far as I can see). Yes they're hard to catch, but saying "they're not seliing them anymore" is flat out wrong.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Interestingly, once in a while you can find a RTX 3090 here. Never a RTX 3080. A major retailer also received more Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC than RTX 3080 Strix OC. I don’t think the issue is poor yield in the sense that most can’t cut the mustard, either they just can’t produce enough or they are stockpiling for a relaunch.

I would say his "stuff the channels" by the end of October is obviously incorrect, but what's the average price of the cards when they become available?

His point that $699 is a mirage is pretty spot on.
Except it’s not just the cheap cards suffering from unobtanium. So that part of his claim is fud

I've had access to dozens of 3080s here. We had 6 near me evga ftw3. Stock is appearing. Even quite a number of 3090s. Stock, not back order stuff. 3070s, 3080s, and 3090s. EVGA is in full gear now getting more cards out.

I've had access to dozens of 3080s here. We had 6 near me evga ftw3. Stock is appearing. Even quite a number of 3090s. Stock, not back order stuff. 3070s, 3080s, and 3090s. EVGA is in full gear now getting more cards out.
Where are you located? What stores have them?

Absolutely no stock in Canada. eVGA still hasnt even come close to filling day 1 orders and the step up queue is massive. Hardly what I’d call full gear.

Personally, I think he had NV's plan lined out to a T, then Samsung 8nm totally shit the bed, which was 100% not part of the plan.

Kinda wish Nvidia's plan did go through - feel like the AMD launch is going to be a blood bath with all of the GPU demand.

Kinda wish Nvidia's plan did go through - feel like the AMD launch is going to be a blood bath with all of the GPU demand.
AMD is 100% screwed in the way that there is no way for it to fill the huge void that NVIDIA has left in the market. That said, I know that AMD has 10s of thousands more cards that NV has even sold up to now, so that is a good thing, but still no way for AMD to ever satiate the demand, especially with BF and Xmas buying season in Q4.

Back