Time to Take Moore's Law is Dead Nvidia Article Seriously...

Do many people here beleive that nVidia is above this level of skulduggery?

You’re a bit confused. For someone up and up on logical fallacies I’m a little surprised you’re confusing calling BS on MLIDs claims with defending nVidia.

Why do you confuse people doubting wild conspiracy theory claims from some random Youtuber with not believeing Nvidia is above doing a thing?

I do not, I asked if anyone believed nVidia is above doing what this article accuses them of.

stock has always been low for any new GPU release for the past few years...is the PS5 launch also suffering from 'artificial low stock'?...new Intel/AMD chips?
I actually know a large handful of people who got their pre orders through no problem. I’d say the stock was there and matched the demand at least for the people I personally know. Yet I’ve never spoken to anyone here or irl who has the 3080 in hand and acquired it on launch day. There’s a difference.

I actually know a large handful of people who got their pre orders through no problem. I’d say the stock was there and matched the demand at least for the people I personally know. Yet I’ve never spoken to anyone here or irl who has the 3080 in hand and acquired it on launch day. There’s a difference.

Well BounceAlerts AI managed to snag a lot of cards so surely there was a few dozen made! Success!

Well BounceAlerts AI managed to snag a lot of cards so surely there was a few dozen made! Success!

I wonder how much of the stock was eaten by bots/scalpers vs actual users. Wouldn't be surprised if 90% of whatever limited stock there was ended up in scalpers hands. Apparently BounceAlerts has reached out to Youtubers and some influential people complaining about the problem to "help them find" a 3080.

You’re a bit confused. For someone up and up on logical fallacies I’m a little surprised you’re confusing calling BS on MLIDs claims with defending nVidia.

Thats getting close to a strawman, I asked a question, did not infer what was right or wrong. You setup that all on your own.

You could have answered yes or no, then gone on to call BS on MLID and listed your reasoning.

Edit: the fact that you decided to take frgmstr's post above at face value speaks volumns as well.

Last edited:
Ok but that’s not what this thread is about.

It is a thread about taking the MLID article seriously, I asked if anyone actually beleives nVidia is above doing what MLID accuses them of, and your best defense is to claim thats not what this thread is about, while replying to a post not made to you and ignoring the one made in response to you.

lol, ok there bucko.

Thats getting close to a strawman, I asked a question, did not infer what was right or wrong. You setup that all on your own.

You could have answered yes or no, then gone on to call BS on MLID and listed your reasoning.

Edit: the fact that you decided to take frgmstr's post above at face value speaks volumns as well.

What you call a straw man is actually me being on point. We both know it. You’re not nearly as witty as you clearly give yourself credit for, bucko.

What you call a straw man is actually me being on point. We both know it. You’re not early as witty as you clearly give yourself credit for, bucko.

:rolleyes:

You are correct though, I am not really that early at all.

Let's see, you didn't answer the question, instead you setup a separate argument about calling BS on MLID's claims being defense of nVidia, which is not something I said at all. You further didn't even both to say why MLID's claims where BS, I'm sure you'll wave your hand to some post you made prior, but you chose to respond to my question with no answer and only an argument you setup that is easy to win.

So sure, why don't you just keep with you being on point asshole.

:rolleyes:

You are correct though, I am not really that early at all.

Let's see, you didn't answer the question, instead you setup a separate argument about calling BS on MLID's claims being defense of nVidia, which is not something I said at all. You further didn't even both to say why MLID's claims where BS, I'm sure you'll wave your hand to some post you made prior, but you chose to respond to my question with no answer and only an argument you setup that is easy to win.

So sure, why don't you just keep with you being on point asshole.

The BS claims have been discussed for days. Feel
Free to do your own homework instead of coming into a thread thinking you have all sides of the argument figured out. The fact you think it’s an nvidia defense is evidence enough you have no idea what I or even you, are taking about. Bucko

Preferred brands $699 cards will generally (as in almost always) not be as good as the FE. Preferred brands higher end cards will be on par or better than FE, but will cost more money. Hence the $699 is an illusion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iw61p3/zotac_rep_says_3080_performance_is_below_fe_by/

Absolutely true as I stated above regarding AHOC's PCB breakdown, I realize people will say "but that's just Zotac!" but I've also already heard of tons of issues with the non-OC TUF (the $699 SKU) and non-OC Ventus (likewise). I can't be bothered to link "evidence" (e.g. EVGA Black coil whine - edit, they may have fixed it with a FW update, cheaper components on the non-OC TUF, etc) but I think people are naive if at least they don't realize the FE is the best $699 card and further will be unit-constrained due to the cooler design/cost.

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iw61p3/zotac_rep_says_3080_performance_is_below_fe_by/

Absolutely true as I stated above regarding AHOC's PCB breakdown, I realize people will say "but that's just Zotac!" but I've also already heard of tons of issues with the non-OC TUF (the $699 SKU) and non-OC Ventus (likewise). I can't be bothered to link "evidence" but I think people are naive if at least they don't realize the FE is the best $699 card and further will be unit-constrained due to the cooler design/cost.

If it's true that Nvidia gave AIBs basically no time to get things fully ready for launch, I wonder if we'll end up seeing better "cheap" models roll out early next year or something. After the AIBs have a chance to figure out the best way to cut costs while retaining good-enough cooling and performance.

If it's true that Nvidia gave AIBs basically no time to get things fully ready for launch, I wonder if we'll end up seeing better "cheap" models roll out early next year or something. After the AIBs have a chance to figure out the best way to cut costs while retaining good-enough cooling and performance.

It does seem like NVIDIA hurt the AIBs here with very little lead time and that compounds the issue. I'm hopeful stock will reach an equilibrium, I'm not of the "doom and gloom" crowd, although I also didn't deal with Turing cards so I lack experience on how that went in comparison. In any case, NVIDIA will have to react to AMD (even if AMD won't have AIB until 2021), so we might see some normalization. Although MILD is quite possibly right about the 16GB/20GB SKUs for example...and certainly the upcoming 2nd wave of cards - that is, the higher end ones - will be priced well above $699.

Last edited:
It is a thread about taking the MLID article seriously, I asked if anyone actually beleives nVidia is above doing what MLID accuses them of, and your best defense is to claim thats not what this thread is about, while replying to a post not made to you and ignoring the one made in response to you.

lol, ok there bucko.

Of course Nvidia is capable of it just like we're all capable of murder. It's a pretty pointless observation though and has nothing to do with whether MLID is right or not.

Hey yall, stop picking on little ol Nvidia. White knights, keep up the good work.

Edit: So I'm not a complete troll,

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HBR7QBM

Now listed at the PNY Store. Edit: Seems this still ships from 3rd party.

1600710471889.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They keep dropping the price by $500, I guess testing the waters to see if it sells. I've seen a couple for around $1300 go on there.

Good for them. But judging by the poll on launch day some 3% of the people who voted were able to snag one.

If nvidia never wanted to sell 3080s for £699, then why didn't they just release it for £899 with plenty of stock? It's not like it wouldn't have sold.

I believe they genuinely fucked up, but erred such as it wouldn't immediately harm them. :cool:

If nvidia never wanted to sell 3080s for £699, then why didn't they just release it for £899 with plenty of stock? It's not like it wouldn't have sold.

I believe they genuinely fucked up, but erred such as it wouldn't immediately harm them. :cool:

They didn't sell as many 2XXX series as they wanted so they lowered some prices a bit to bring people back. They just didn't let inventory grow enough before release. These things are selling like hot cakes.

They didn't sell as many 2XXX series as they wanted so they lowered some prices a bit to bring people back. They just didn't let inventory grow enough before release. These things are selling like hot cakes.

That, and we still have no real idea of how much stock there actually is. We have various sources saying it was "comparable" to other launches, but other launches have been kind of shitty as well, although seemingly not this bad.

That, and we still have no real idea of how much stock there actually is. We have various sources saying it was "comparable" to other launches, but other launches have been kind of shitty as well, although seemingly not this bad.

Really what do you expect Nvidia to say? Of course they are going to say they had comparable stock and the demand was great. Honestly I think the demand for the first RTX cards was probably greater right off the bat. If they had priced them more comparably to the previous cards it would have been sold out for a long time.

Really what do you expect Nvidia to say? Of course they are going to say they had comparable stock and the demand was great. Honestly I think the demand for the first RTX cards was probably greater right off the bat. If they had priced them more comparably to the previous cards it would have been sold out for a long time.

Except it’s not just nvidia saying that. It’s literally all the partners and I’ve seen numerous reports of micro centers around the country receiving a dozen units With people waiting in line the Day before. But pay no attention to what people who are actually selling the cards say about comparable stock. I’m sure the conspiracy theorist has it all figured out.

Except it’s not just nvidia saying that. It’s literally all the partners and I’ve seen numerous reports of micro centers around the country receiving a dozen units With people waiting in line the Day before. But pay no attention to what people who are actually selling the cards say about comparable stock. I’m sure the conspiracy theorist has it all figured out.

It is kind of laughable that you equate plenty of stock with 12 units at each of the 25 micro centers around the country.

It is kind of laughable that you equate plenty of stock with 12 units at each of the 25 micro centers around the country.

For a B&M to get 12 units on the initial launch, that’s pretty good. You must be new to this Or have poor memory.

oh, buddy if mine just ordered one direct from nvidia about 5 min ago. Lmk if you want a screenshot since you know. You think nvidia will never stock these 699 cards.

also, where did you read I said “plenty” I was refuting your denial that stock wasnt as good as previous launches. It was. This isn’t even a matter of opinion.

They are short changing stock to raise prices. Only big sellers got cards mostly United States. Seems always under estimate demand. Being in Canada was really no stock most retailer here say back order. Id rather wait for 20 gig version of 3080 or wait little longer for second gen. Possible 3080 ti. Who knows seems sweet spot last while has been second gen. I dont buy Nvidia lame excuse we didnt know such high demand? Really Nvidia? Dont believe you. Dont believe was ignorance but design. For those who got a card congrats. Still firm believer in second gen. Seems things get ironed out in second gen.

Last edited:
They are short changing stock to raise prices. Only big sellers got cards mostly United States. Seems always under estimate demand. Being in Canada was really no stock most retailer here say back order. Id rather wait for 20 gig version of 3080 or wait little longer for second gen. Possible 3080 ti. Who knows seems sweet spot last while has been second gen. I dont buy Nvidia lame excuse we didnt know such high demand? Really Nvidia? Dont believe you. Dont believe was ignorance but design. For those who got a card congrats. Still firm believer in second gen. Seems things get ironed out in second gen.

Which costs more money.

For a B&M to get 12 units on the initial launch, that’s pretty good. You must be new to this Or have poor memory.

oh, buddy if mine just ordered one direct from nvidia about 5 min ago. Lmk if you want a screenshot since you know. You think nvidia will never stock these 699 cards.

I'm laughing at your praise for Nvidia's launch stock by referencing the 300 cards that made it to micro center. They're very well may have been thousands of cards somewhere that got sold, but your glowing example was 300 cards. Congratulations.

And this is exactly what MLID said would happen. A trickle of FE cards. Never serious stock. We will see.

Last edited:
A hard launch, one would see hundreds of cards at each Microcenter, Bestbuy would have them on the shelf and not just over the internet with at least 30 or more per store. Newegg/Amazon would have tens of thousands of cards. You would also see forum after forum of owners talking about them. This was much worst than the Turing launch as far as I can remember. Pascal was not too hard to obtain either.

I'm laughing at your praise for Nvidia's launch stock by referencing the 300 cards that made it to micro center. They're very well may have been thousands of cards somewhere that got sold, but your glowing example was 300 cards. Congratulations.

And this is exactly what MLID said would happen. A trickle of FE cards. Never serious stock. We will see.

You’ve been comfused for about a week now. Let me simplify it for you. i didn’t praise nvidia nor did I say there was plenty of stock. I think this launch could have went a lot smoother than it did. What I am doing is calling BS on your claim that nvidia is lying about the demand and that stock was comparable. I’ll tell you my sources

nvidia
AIBs
retail stores
every review that states this is one of the, of not they most anticipated launch ever (this also points at demand)

what do you have to backup your claim that demand isn’t high and stock isn’t comparable to other launches? Is everyone lying? I mean all my buddy did was hit the notify me option and got his order in less than a week after launch. An FE card for 699. An accomplishment that is nothing short of a miracle if one were to believe the nonsense a few people have been polluting the forum with.

I mean, in many countries people were locked in their homes, forced to save money and play video games for months. That and Turing being such a small upgrade, of course demand is unprecedented. Not sure how you could even doubt that.

It could definitely have been a smoother launch though, the nvidia store was clearly not ready at all for example. I still fondly remember pre-ordering a 1080 ti and getting it at my door on release day...

Really not having any pre-orders or at least some sort of queue is absolutely ridiculous (and no doubt intentional).

A hard launch, one would see hundreds of cards at each Microcenter, Bestbuy would have them on the shelf and not just over the internet with at least 30 or more per store. Newegg/Amazon would have tens of thousands of cards.

For this to happen Nvidia and AIBs would need to stock hundreds of thousands of cards for months. That’s never going happen and it makes no business sense. We just need to live with the fact that launch day demand for hot products will always outstrip supply. The day one rush is just hype.

Pascal was not too hard to obtain either.

You sure about that? Selective memory is a bitch.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/307...-limited-stock-no-custom-cooled-variants.html

“Making matters worse, by 9:09 a.m. Eastern, Nvidia’s stock of Founders Edition cards—the only model Nvidia guaranteed to be available on day one—were already sold out. Founders Edition cards peddled by Nvidia partners like EVGA, Asus, and Zotac were also showed as sold out immediately at Newegg and Best Buy. That means that either demand was sky-high, or supplies of these first-ever 16nm FinFET GPUs were extremely limited, or a mixture of the two.”

For this to happen Nvidia and AIBs would need to stock hundreds of thousands of cards for months. That’s never going happen and it makes no business sense. We just need to live with the fact that launch day demand for hot products will always outstrip supply. The day one rush is just hype.

Wasn't Ampere delayed though? So why rush if you've already set a delay and are still ahead of the competition?

If nvidia didn't just plain and simple screwed up, then the only alternative is that they deliberately stifled supply, just to float that £699 number out there long enough until AMD shows up, then they'll drop the £899 cards. I could believe that, and I'm inclined to do so when they could have released these cards for £899 or more and sold exactly as many. I do find it hard to believe nvidia weren't prepared, given they set their own release date with no competition in sight and somehow didn't know the market demand.

I think the 3080 'regular' will be mostly mythical. It'll exist, and stick around, just to mark that £699 price point.

Back