Time to start anew..advice please

RipperMac

Limp Gawd
I currently run my w/c (what you see in my sig) in an external box which has served me well..however the urge to upgrade (or downgrade) has led me to think about changing my old reliable Hydor L30 and big fat heater core setup to a more svelte and hopefully more attractive setup...here is the "help me part"...I plan on mounting
Stealth_240_01.jpg
one of these in a matx case along with fans, a res and a pump..attaching it all with Colder QD's with 1/2inc tubing through out and as needed...I've been satisfied with my Hydor L30 for over 3 years of continued use(only shutting down for power outtages and system service) but I need a new pump that can handle daily on/off (12volts better?)(Hydor hated that..first one died) and about the same footprint as the L30(smaller would be better) I suppose I could buy an all inclusive kit sans the cpu block..but I would rather do it mostly myself..can anyone tell me if the rad is really only just over an inch thick(according to my math anyway) and some good info on my pump requirements along with vendor links (except Cool Technica..never again :mad: ) ..also..has anyone else use a matx case in such a manner before? I only plan on cooling the CPU...for right now anyway...thanks for all inputs...
Rip

The BIGTS is just barely over an inch thick. It's very good for situations where space is limited.

I highly recommend a DDC pump. They're available at PPCS, Petra's, the 18W is at DangerDen. They're available just about anywhere now. There are two versions though, the 10W and the 18W. They're quiet, have low heat dump, they're small, and have a ton of head pressure. To use it with 1/2" barbs, its easiest to get a different top for it. More information on the different tops available can be found here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102781
Long story short, avoid the Radiical top, the Alphacool top is available now, Petra's top will be coming soon.

Thanks for the inputs gents..really appreciate that...I see that these pumps are 12v so I'm assuming they are designed for minimum daily on/off cycling..anyone have problems with noise or can I assume this is a non issue...how long have these pumps been out anyway..I swear it was only yesterday when Eheims were the premium items..man have I lost touch with the w/c scene...

RipperMac said:
I see that these pumps are 12v so I'm assuming they are designed for minimum daily on/off cycling..anyone have problems with noise or can I assume this is a non issue
I turn my DDC on and off several times daily and I haven't had a problem with it. Both versions of the DDC are silent inside a case. They will make some noise when air bubbles are in your line, but once the line is bled, that noise will go away.

Thanks for the replies gents..ordered as suggested...Petra:too bad you didn't have you modded ddc top ready cause it would been perfect for me..now if I could find a clear cylinder res with in/out at right angels to the body I'd be set...guess I might have to make another pvc res to fit my needs..thanks again gents

Back