Time to retire the old Seasonic ss-600ht?

daws0n

Weaksauce
I bought this PSU 2nd hand 6 years ago, bundled with a lian li case. I usually buy a new PSU for a new setup, but this has been through 3 builds so far :) Regardless age this thing just keeps going - it has no trouble coping with GPU/CPU stress testing and has been rock solid despite running for 24/7 most of the time.

Anwyays, the other day I was at a local market and was lucky enough to get a very sweet deal on an Antec VP550P PSU (never used - 5 bucks!). It has nearly double the amperage on the 12v rails compared to the seasonic (2 x 18a vs 2 x 30a) so I was surprised to learn it's a "budget" PSU when I got home...

Fired it up with an old PC and it's working fine... I was going to keep it as a spare, but am tempted to replace ye olde high end faithful with this new entry level model. What do you guys reckon?

Specs:
Intel i5 750
8GB DDR3 1333
HD 6870 GPU
MSI GD-65 Mobo
1 x HDD / 1 x SDD
2 x Optical Drives

The Seasonic actually has more total amperage on the +12V rail than the Antec: The Seasonic has 36A whereas the Antec only has 30A.

I'd stick with the Seasonic

How so Dan? Looking at the badges I read that the other around?

Seasonic: 12v 1 = 18a | 12v 2 = 18a (12v 432w max load)
Antec: 12v 1 = 30a | 12v 2 = 30a (12v 540w max. load

Please correct me if I've got it wrong. Thanks!

No worries :) Reckon she's worth swapping out given the spec difference?

The Seasonic is within tolerance (about 30a should be fine for my system) but I do worry it's going to fail on me unexpectedly and potentially caused damage elsewhere when it does. I use to rotate PSUs quite often, so in all my years of PC building I've yet to have one die on me due to age related failure...

Do they usually cause other hardware failure when biting the dust?

So far 3 PSUs died on me because of 1 reason or the other but fortunately everything else remained safe. I mean they did not cause any damage to other components while dying.

A good quality power supply like that Seasonic generally does not take anything out when it dies. It just stops working. I don't think you have to worry about it.

Thanks for the insight - I had a PSU fail a few years ago... Before I started buying decent PSUs I opted for a cheap no-name 500 watter for a new build. Within 2 weeks the PC switched on with a bang! Luckily nothing was damaged but that was the last time I skimped on power supply quality!

Big props to seasonic, the performance/longevity on this thing is really impressive IMO. I'll be buying another when the time comes and will keep the antec as a spare/backup.

Back