Time to retire my Silverstone TJ07?

professional loser

Limp Gawd
I have Silverstone TJ07 case. I will be building a new PC, Ryzen 5950x, X570 Dark Hero, Noctua NH D15, 1-2 GPUs, 64-128GB RAM, 2- SSDs, 4 x 3.5" HDs. Everything will fit in the TJ07. Not sure about the 2nd GPU because apparently you need 9 slots on the back of the PC case and I have 7?

On my actual case, I added a 120mm front intake fan 10 years ago.

What I dislike about TJ07
  • Dust magnet.
  • Noise
  • Doors hard to close/slide.
  • Old USB 2 IO front panel (can replace it with newer ones for $30)
  • Cable management is bad
Google revealed someone's answer to a similar question-
  • New cases have cable management, way better than what TJ07 does.
  • No 5.25 inch drive bays, replaced by ssd trays and mounting points
  • Have support for RGB lighting. (I hate RGB so not for me)
  • Most of them now look like fish tanks and have bad air cooling because of fact glass doesn't breathe well.
  • Most new cases have filters on their fans, something that wasn't a priority when your case was made.

I find the Fractal Design, Meshify 2 XL Dark Tempered Glass, appealing. Would you jump to modern case or continue with TJ07? It has served me for 10 years.

TJ07-3.jpg

VS

Attachments

• TJ07.jpg
    TJ07.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TJ07-2.jpg
    TJ07-2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TJ07-4.jpg
    TJ07-4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Meshify.PNG
    Meshify.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Eh, I'm a sucker for 5.25" bays. They're extremely versatile, and I think modern cases jumped the gun on axing them completely. My 900D has 4 and I currently have an Aquaero 6XT, a Koolance dual pump/reservoir unit, and an IcyDock housing that fits 8x SSD into a single 5.25".

When I get my woodshop finally good to go downstairs, I'll be making my own case with the front being nothing but spacing for 5.25" devices. Including fans because those can also fit in the bay.

Eh, I'm a sucker for 5.25" bays. They're extremely versatile, and I think modern cases jumped the gun on axing them completely. My 900D has 4 and I currently have an Aquaero 6XT, a Koolance dual pump/reservoir unit, and an IcyDock housing that fits 8x SSD into a single 5.25".

When I get my woodshop finally good to go downstairs, I'll be making my own case with the front being nothing but spacing for 5.25" devices. Including fans because those can also fit in the bay.

Here I have attached photo of my actual case, 1 x 120mm fan in the front. Has space for 2 x 120mm fans in the front.

Attachments

• tz1.jpeg
    tz1.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 0
The Fractal cases would provide a worthy upgrade to your case. They have a lot of options for setups, though you may need to purchase extra parts if you need a lot of hard drive bays. I bought the Define 7 XL because it has two 5.25" bays for an optical drive and a Teac FD-505 dual floppy disk drive. I believe the Meshify 2 XL uses the same chassis as the Define 7 XL seeing it from the video. I like the sharp and classy styling of the Define cases. I need to take some recent photographs of my rig.

I did, and it breaths just fine. No opticals makes room for 3 fans up front and i have 3 fans on top pulling heat up. CPU package is 30c at idle. She hits 45c at 4.8 GHZ while streaming. I will not really know if its as good as the TJ09 for the GPU until i get my new card back.
Old:
20210318_132736.jpg
New:
Completedmachine.jpg
20210328_155828.jpg

Last edited:
Its in

Its in my sig. I stumbled upon it when the case that I originally ordered showed up smashed all to hell. $169 and a hell of a case for the money. Its built like a tank, very quiet and plenty of room, even for water cooling if you wish. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GT501-M...ocphy=9003356&hvtargid=pla-644444878026&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Much like the Cooler Master 590 case "from yesteryear". :) That case at the time and still now makes sense IMO.

Back