Time to get rid of my 6800gt

BioPort

Gawd
im really sick and tired of the stuttering i get from my 6800gt whenever i run 3dmark or games. nothing seems to be fixing it to my liking.

so im going to get an ati x800pro or xt. before i head to compusa, do ati cards have this stuttering problem?

I don't know about the x800's, but if I had fastwrites on with my 9700pro it got very unhappy. Fastwrites don't even give you any performance, don't see why you wouldn't want to disable them.

BioPort said:
im really sick and tired of the stuttering i get from my 6800gt whenever i run 3dmark or games. i dont want to have to turn agp fastwrites off, and i dont want to have to muck around with bios flashing to make my card work.

so im going to get an ati x800pro or xt. before i head to compusa, do ati cards have this stuttering problem?

You need to disabel fistwrite for ATI cards too, its not that hard, only takes 15 secounds to do.....and updateing you BIOS? not to hard either, but you shouldnt have to...

Im sorry, but DUDE, have you tried troubel shooting it? 20$ Buck via paypal says its a user error anyway? stuttering problem? Explain that better, also we need system specs, drivers info, OS info...ext.... the GT is a better card, anyway? Why downgrade? (dose comp even carry them?) Also, what card did you have before the GT? Was it ATI? you may need to reinstall you OS to get the GT working correctly.

Do you allways run out and buy new hardware every time software is giving you problems...?

gmkmay said:
I don't know about the x800's, but if I had fastwrites on with my 9700pro it got very unhappy. Fastwrites don't even give you any performance, don't see why you wouldn't want to disable them.

I dont think he knows how to disabel it, when he gives us some hardware info, ill look up his BIOS and tell him, and if he dose know how, and just dosnt want to do it, then that just lazy.....

BTW: Fastwrites DOSNT HELP ANY, its ok to disabel it...

i know what im doing. ive tried several fixes to the problem, and i STILL cant OC the card to ultra speeds on my new lanparty. on my nforce2 lanparty everything worked great. system specs are in my sig (i dont know why it isnt showing up though).

AMD Athlon64 3200+ NC (10x250 1.66v)
DFI LanParty nf3 250gb
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3700 (3-4-4-8 1T)
PNY 6800gt (420/1100)
36gb WD Raptor
160gb Seagate sata
SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum

edit: im using the 10/15 oskar beta bios.

BioPort said:
im really sick and tired of the stuttering i get from my 6800gt whenever i run 3dmark or games. nothing seems to be fixing it to my liking.

what you talking about?? My GT is smooth as silk. But my install was on a spankin fresh OS. I use the 61.77 drivers and I have had very excellent performance. Do you have enough power??? I dont think you need insult people tho' Have a nice day. :D

Hey BioPort, if you want to sell it I might be interested in buying. PM me if that sounds good to you, I can pay through paypal.

want to pay $400? i bought it at compusa and paid for the replacement plan for this very reason.

Asking "do ati cards have this stuttering problem" is a question that can't be answered because nvidia cards don't have the stuttering problem, yet you are experiencing it. Will the ATI card work properly on your system? Depends if its setup right, not defective, etc just like the Nvidia card.

Do you get stuttering at stock vid card/cpu speeds?
Mine does the same thing when I OC it too far.
Just because your pc doesnt doesnt crash, doesnt mean your OC is stable.

Your pissed because you cant overclock your vid card past ultra speeds?
Since when has ANY oc speed been gauranteed?
You Insult people who try to help you troubleshoot?
Go ahead and trade it in for the pro since your mind seems to be set on that anyways, you dont deserve that GT

you know, i find it insulting that someone would assume that i dont know what im doing just because i didnt post system specs or make a list of troubleshooting steps that ive already tried. i didnt ask for help trying to figure out how to make my card work. ive had it since august, and as i said it worked flawlessly in my previous system. maybe the problem is the nforce3 chipset on my lanparty mobo, i dont know. all i know is that i get 5 second freezes whenever i run 3dmark03 or games, and nothing fixes it. ive tried disabling faswrites, resetting my bios options to stock (thought that maybe it was my cpu OC), using different drivers, installing a fresh copy of xp... i feel like ive exhausted my options.

i realize that my reply to killabee was kinda harsh, so i edited it.

BioPort said:
you know, i find it insulting that someone would assume that i dont know what im doing just because i didnt post system specs or make a list of troubleshooting steps that ive already tried. i didnt ask for help trying to figure out how to make my card work. ive had it since august, and as i said it worked flawlessly in my previous system. maybe the problem is the nforce3 chipset on my lanparty mobo, i dont know. all i know is that i get 5 second freezes whenever i run 3dmark03 or games, and nothing fixes it. ive tried disabling faswrites, resetting my bios options to stock (thought that maybe it was my cpu OC), using different drivers, installing a fresh copy of xp... i feel like ive exhausted my options.

i realize that my reply to killabee was kinda harsh, so i edited it.

Here's the problem, you are experiencing a user-specific problem on the 6800GT, and you are asking if you are going to experience the same user-specific problem on the x800 - of course there is no way of knowing, because it is not a general problem with either card. Neither the 6800GT or X800 stutter for most people, so there is no way of telling if buying an X800 will fix your particular problem.

Just for some random input... I actually had a small stuttering problem at first with my x800. Don't know why, was on a fresh OS and everything. Just reinstalled the drivers (the correct way) and everything worked out fine. This mostly happened under steam though, so I'm not quite sure which to blame. Point being, if you do go with the switch, make sure to do it right and completely get rid of every trace of nvidia on your system (sides chipset stuff :p ) or you'll just end up with more problems and less money.

I didn't have stuttering in any games or 3dmark and I had FW/SBA enabled. Maybe there's some good mojo between the nf3 and nv40.

I did sell my 6800GT for a couple of reasons: 1) I moved over to a PCI-E system to transition to SLI eventually (drool @ SLI NV41s) and 2) I paid $249 for it and wanted to sell it while the prices are still good (made a $120 profit on it :D).

BioPort said:
hey shitbrick, i know what im doing. ive tried several fixes to the problem, and i STILL cant OC the card to ultra speeds on my new lanparty. on my nforce2 lanparty everything worked great. system specs are in my sig (i dont know why it isnt showing up though).

AMD Athlon64 3200+ NC (10x250 1.66v)
DFI LanParty nf3 250gb
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3700 (3-4-4-8 1T)
PNY 6800gt (420/1100)
36gb WD Raptor
160gb Seagate sata
SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum

edit: im using the 10/15 oskar beta bios. ass.

Well, your sig wasn’t displayed, on your first tread..... And if you know what your doing than why don’t you disable fastwrites?

You failed to mention overcloking? If is did ultra speeds on your old board but not this one that it make most sense that the board might me doing it? or the PSU? You A64 and Nf3 draws more power than your old setup, maybe it pushed your PSU harder and it cant handle overclocking the card now. Or maybe its the beta BIOS?

Nothing is guaranteed, especially, when overclocking or using Beta BIOS files... Before you bend over for CompUSA, try loading the newest final BIOS from DFI and running you PCU stock clock. Then overclockign you GPU to an ultra...see what happens....

Calling me a shitbrick wasn’t very nice now was it...im done with this tread and any your make in the future....if you last that long....

I say it's his money and he should get what makes him happy. As for him insulting people, when people try to correct other people it's normal to get defensive. I do it, you do it, we all do it. IT'S HUMAN NATURE. I say, Bioport go for it and hopefully the X800 works out for you. Just my two cents... :) And everyone stay [H]ard... :cool: :cool: :cool:

I agree with Vermicious Kind. My GT also studders when OCed too much. For me it starts when the core goes higher then 400 mhz. Try to declock the card a bit and see it the problem persists.

I also have had a stuttering issue with my 6800 GT. Believe me, I have tried everything I can think of to fix it. I have a thread on it in the NVIDIA section. You may want to take a look over the compiled list of the things that I have done, and see if they work for you.

I have noticed through my experiences, however, that more NVIDIA users have stuttering problems than ATI. I don't know if this is because of user error, or because of the hardware itself.

Oh well, best of luck trying to fix it man. If you find a solution, please send me a PM. I would be extremely grateful.

nah, newegg has the pny for 409, just over your quote of 400 for a new card...

I want to get something that will have xinerama support

Its always frustrating when you have video card problems...

However, sellings your 6800GT and getting a x800pro does not guarantee a fix, and you lose a lot in performance. How about replacing for another 6800GT ? Have you tried PNY tech support or RMA'ing it ?

X800pro softmoded to XT PE no hicups or stuttering. This is playing all games at 1600 4x except while playing online. :D By the way, this Nvidia stuttering problem has been documented continuously by Nvidia users and from what I've read online. Don't have links handy since I'm a satisfied Ati user.

theNoid said:
Its always frustrating when you have video card problems...

However, sellings your 6800GT and getting a x800pro does not guarantee a fix, and you lose a lot in performance. How about replacing for another 6800GT ? Have you tried PNY tech support or RMA'ing it ?

i can drive over to the store where i bought it and trade it for another one, but something tells me that this is an incompatibility problem. the problem is that i cant oc the card at all in my new a64 rig, whereas i could in my athlonxp. i will probably trade it for another gt and give it one more shot. im not really worried about the loss in graphical performance... theyre just videogames after all. ;)

why didnt you just go back to stock speeds?

cards arent gauranteed to run correctly when overclocked so you shouldnt complain if its freezing while overclocked, just turn the speeds down

but alas, you got rid of it, oh well.

tranCendenZ said:
Asking "do ati cards have this stuttering problem" is a question that can't be answered because nvidia cards don't have the stuttering problem, yet you are experiencing it. .

That is a blanket statement that is just not 100% true. Some particular configurations of hardware DO indeed stutter with a 6800GT. It is a common issue on all vid card forums. Some do it, some don't. For you to ascertain that he cannot properly setup his system is an assumption on your part. You know nothing about him. Of course an ATI could stutter as well.

I had a stutter on my 6800GT in Far Cry only. Doom3, Q3A, HL, FS2004, Q1, UT2K4, all ran fine. However, my new ATI card does not stutter in any of the games. I certainly know how to properly setup my system, I guess you are going to tell me I did it wrong as well?

The ATI card...ON HIS PARTICULAR SYTEM...may solve all his problems.

Don't be one of those fan thingy's (we can't use the word here) :p

i think it was nvnews, but im not sure...theres a huge thread there about stuttering on the 6800's.

bizzy420 said:
i think it was nvnews, but im not sure...theres a huge thread there about stuttering on the 6800's.

Yeah it is nvnews.net , I am too lazy to go get the link but it takes 2 seconds to navigate to the forums there anyway.

In simple terms, the stuttering problem is caused by the card going into low power mode, this is a reduced voltage to lower heat. May also be a reduced clock speed depending on the cards configuration.

Some users see this at default clock speed and voltage. I read one user UNDERclocking his card to 330/1000 and that solved the problem. He RMA'd though.

I had the same problem when overclocking but only in FarCry. Out of the box my 6800 GT would run 400/1100 like a champion in Doom 3. Then I loaded up FarCry and BAM! Instant low power mode.

Turning Fast Writes off let me run FarCry @ 400/1100. I got random crashes in CS : Source sometimes though.

I have since added a NV5 Silencer, and was running voltage flashed to 1.4 @ 415/1100, but I would get lock ups every once in a while, sometimes a few days would go by and I would be fine, other times I would get a crash a minute.

I eventually edited my PNYs BIOS and set the voltage back to 1.3, and set the clocks to 380/1050, not quite Ultra speeds but close, runs rock solid in FarCry, Doom 3 , and through many CS : S sessions with not a single lock up. This is with Fast Writes on, I am going to try 400/1100 again in a few days after rearanging my fans.

I have stuttering problems with my 6800 ultra if I use bios version 1.2 on my mobo. Doesn't happen with any other bios.

Tried many different nvidia drivers and nforce drivers.

Just a thought....

Back