Time to delid.. advice needed.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I am going to delid my 4770K finally. Will be using the vise method. I had a couple questions. Does the area next to the cpu need to be protected? I have seen videos of guys using silicone or nail polish to protect that area from the liquid metal pro incase it leaks over. I have also seen some guys re-silicone the IHS back to the PCB. What is the best method for all of this? I have also seen guys use very small amounts of liquid metal pro and some put it on both the IHS and the die. Thank's for any advice!

CLU comes with a little brush which helps you control the amount. You only need enough to -barely- cover the core surface, brushing any on the underside of the IHS is optional and increases the risk of over-application. On my 4770k delid, I did not use any product under the IHS other than CLU and let the processor clamp hold the IHS in place.

Any advantage or disadvantage to lapping the IHS while I have it off? I had thought about doing a quick lap to the IHS just to have a smooth surface for the heatsink to mount up to.

Also, I had found that Home Depot carries liquid electrical tape to cover up the electronics to the side of the die.

I would make that determination after you get the IHS off. If the metal bends too much as a result of the vice, then lapping it back to flat will help, but at that point I'd be more worried about the curve on the concave side. The poor quality thermal material Intel chose is only half the reason for the thermal issues with the processor, the other half being the gap. On my chip, I didn't have any noticeable bend and didn't feel that lapping would be necessary, but there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

I would make that determination after you get the IHS off. If the metal bends too much as a result of the vice, then lapping it back to flat will help, but at that point I'd be more worried about the curve on the concave side. The poor quality thermal material Intel chose is only half the reason for the thermal issues with the processor, the other half being the gap. On my chip, I didn't have any noticeable bend and didn't feel that lapping would be necessary, but there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

Thx, hopefully all is good with it.

I've done this whole process at least 4 times now. You need very very little CLU to spread across the whole die. If you mess up, alcohol cleans it off.

If you want to silicone the IHS back on, use a toothpick. Dip it in the tube of silicone so 1" worth of toothpick is coated and then roll the toothpick along the edges of the IHS. Little goes a long way. One of these: http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/handi-clamps (Home Depot) works wonders for clamping everything together. Then while everything is still wet, use q-tips + alcohol and wipe up the excess silicone that squeezes out. Takes like 10 q-tips to do it completely. I've resold CPUs that have been packaged up this way and none came back.

Well I got it done.. and HOLY CRAP... My idle temps are mid 20s and they were mid 30s... load temps in prime 64C on hottest core.. was 84C before!!! With CPU fans off at idle its low 30s. I used TX-4 on the IHS to heatsink side. I figure it has some cure time to do. I could not be happier with the results.

Well I got it done.. and HOLY CRAP... My idle temps are mid 20s and they were mid 30s... load temps in prime 64C on hottest core.. was 84C before!!! With CPU fans off at idle its low 30s. I used TX-4 on the IHS to heatsink side. I figure it has some cure time to do. I could not be happier with the results.

If you go direct die + waterblock you can throw 1.6V at it 24/7 and not go above 80C.

MX-4 doesn't have any cure time, and your delta looks almost exactly like mine. Enjoy your new temps, and congratulations!

MX-4 doesn't have any cure time, and your delta looks almost exactly like mine. Enjoy your new temps, and congratulations!

Im running Tuniq TX-4 not MX-4.. does it not have cure times as well? And thx! I can't believe how cold it's running. Under full load my fans weren't even at full speed at that 64C.. I could have cranked them higher.

So After a few hours the case became heat soaked since I run my case fans VERY slowly as well as the cpu fans.. idle temps are low 30s.... now my peak load temps only got up to 69C so still a 15C drop in peak temps. If I was running my case fans at more of a normal speed like a normal person the temps would be lower but I prefer the silence of my Noctua Redux fans 350-400rpm at idle.

My apologies for reading that incorrectly. TX-4 also does not have a cure time, and as far as temps go the danger zone is 100c, generally acceptable low-risk safe operating temperatures is closer to 80c, and if you're at ~70c then there's plenty of wiggle room as the seasons change and ambient temperatures rise and fall. Heck, you might even be able to squeeze a little more OC out of that little guy, but there really isn't much need to if you have a stable 4.5GHz @ 1.255v. I'm actually a bit jealous because my 4770k does operate at 4.5, but I have to disable HT and give it 1.35v. Once again, congratulations on the successful delid.

Last edited:
My apologies for reading that incorrectly. TX-4 also does not have a cure time, and as far as temps go the danger zone is 100c, generally acceptable low-risk safe operating temperatures is closer to 80c, and if you're at ~70c then there's plenty of wiggle room as the seasons change and ambient temperatures rise and fall. Heck, you might even be able to squeeze a little more OC out of that little guy, but there really isn't much need to if you have a stable 4.5GHz @ 1.255v. I'm actually a bit jealous because my 4770k does operate at 4.5, but I have to disable HT and give it 1.35v. Once again, congratulations on the successful delid.

Thanks!

CLU comes with a little brush which helps you control the amount. You only need enough to -barely- cover the core surface, brushing any on the underside of the IHS is optional and increases the risk of over-application. On my 4770k delid, I did not use any product under the IHS other than CLU and let the processor clamp hold the IHS in place.

Actually, it comes with some crappy cotton swabs. I recommend finding a fine tip paint brush to use instead. The cotton swabs leave hairs behind that drive me nuts.

Glad it worked out for ya :)

Use the CPU bare-die. Putting a IHS onto a CPU that has already been delidded is plain dumb.

Use the CPU bare-die. Putting a IHS onto a CPU that has already been delidded is plain dumb.

Crushing or chipping the die is plain dumb.. 15C drop with little effort and the protection of an IHS is plain smart. Very few risk not re-using the IHS.. the difference between using it and not when using Liquid Metal Pro is very minimal. I have seen the results. I am happy with my 69C peak temps and an almost dead silent PC.

Back