Time to build a new pfSense box

The Spyder

2[H]4U
After a year of using a rather solid Cisco 881w, I finally decided it was time to build a new pfSense router. I looked at ALIX boards, custom ITX solutions, and ended up choosing a fan-less Intel DC2500CCE dual-core Atom with dual Intel 1GB Nic's. I bought a small case and used a Pico powersupply/4GB DDR3/SSD left over from another project, so the total was under $200- closer to $139. My favorite bit is: no moving parts! I plan on doing some thermal testing/power usage, but for now it's just burning in. The complete build took less then an hour from start to finish.

Fd8RZSsl.jpg

qI05YlRl.jpg

tZPJJ9Kl.jpg

The only bit bugging me right now is I missed out on the Ubiquiti edge router lite- if I had seen it was available- I would have bought it due to the low cost. The hardware I ended up with is overkill for my home setup, but what can I say, I love hardware :)

Nice little box there. I need to think about building a new one myself. Currently on a Dell 1650 P3, and the kicker, a SCSI drive! If that fails I'm doomed. Will be more expensive to replace the drive than the whole server lol.

How does a person so geeky enough to use pfsense also use a mac :(

j/k

kinda.

Nice motherboard.. where can i find one.. my google for that model didn't return much..

Here is where I ordered it, watch out, if you live in Canada, you got to pay importing fees.

Link

Nice thanks.. I am in canada.. so yeah would have to pay fees... I really don't need it.. but it looks nice.. right now i got pfsense running on a c2d so this would cut back on power somewhat.. but not sure if it would be enough difference to pay for itself...

Another Canadian here too. I am running pfSense based on a sandy bridge celeron with a cheapo motherboard and scavenged RAM and 2.5" HDD and a 1U rack mount case. I also have a used dual port Intel server NIC in it. Way overkill for what I need but lots of room for stuff like VPN and Snort. Uses about 30 - 40W and I think I could get that lower if I used a Pico power supply.

nice. planning to run pfsense in the near future. waiting on some stats for power usage :)

The folks on the pfSense forum are great. I would suggest starting there. When I built mine it was a toss up between an atom or sandy bridge based build. It ended up that the sandy bridge only used a little more power, cost a little bit more to build, but was able to handle a lot more in the way of extra packages. I decided that for a little extra cost the added benefits were worth it. With the new Ivy Bridge you can probably get the power consumption even lower. As I said, mine uses about 30W at idle and that is without a Pico PSU.

I've been running pfSense as a virtual appliance in vSphere 5.1 at home for several months now. Its been fantastic.

My pfSense install started out as a virtual appliance too and it was great. However, I like to tinker with my setup which means server restarts on a frequent basis. My wife didn't like the internet (and file server!) going down every time I wanted to play with my computers. I now have separate pfSense boxes and FreeNAS boxes. Isn't compromise great?

Which version of pfSense 2 or 2.1? When I built mine last year there was an issue with the video with the bsd kernel verison used on 2 so I had to use 2.1 beta.

2.03 worked fine for me, outside of some minor display corruption that was fixed by a screen refresh.

If your running it in a virtual appliance your console should be virtual as well.....I'm not sure how you would have screen issues on a virtual console. And rebooting your virtual environment frequently? Most virtual environments are designed to really never be rebooted outside of patches.

Back