Time Sunc issues with recorded TV

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm having trouble with my recordings getting clipped just before the end.

I generally pre-record 2 minutes and post-record 3 minutes under WMC. Which works if there isn't a show on the same channel being recorded right after.

So I found my PC is 45s off Time.gov. I think I'm losing system time somehow. Anyway, are there any utilities that can force my PC to resync. I don't want it doing it constantly. But once a week or once a day would work fine to prevent my PC from drifting, I think.

I'm not sure that's my only problem. I think that Shows are deliberately broadcast out of sync with official time. Probably to be a stumbling block against people doing recordings.

I think the pre & post recording time thing would work if I could get WMC to use a second tuner for the next show, doing some overlapping recording. Is this possible with a HDHR and WMC?

I usually have the missing moments in the next recording's start. But its annoying to say the least and there's always a few seconds lost.

When you set your time to record before or after scheduled time, make sure to select "always", not "when possible" or something similar. This will force it to use another tuner if available.

When you set your time to record before or after scheduled time, make sure to select "always", not "when possible" or something similar. This will force it to use another tuner if available.

It seems that the default record options don't offer that and I was going to reply that.

However, I double checked and it seems the series specific options will allow you to force recording,but in relatively larger intervals. The smallest is 5 minutes which will work. Thanks.

Good, I forgot exactly where it was, I was on my main box, not the HTPC when I replied, so I couldnt check.

You could create a scheduled task to sync the time every hour or so.

This is a well known and documented issue. The problem is the time sync is done once a week, if you have your pc sleep and wake it can start to drift. You simply need to create a scheduled task to sync the time every day at 6pm.

There used to be a nice article on hack7mc, but I can't seem to resolve the page at the moment.

To answer your second question.

If you have 2 tuners, and your recording 2 back to back shows on one channel. To make the second show record with the second tuner, you have to set the post-record to 10 minutes.

I only need to do this for my NBC comedy shows, as they run 30 seconds long.

To answer your second question.

If you have 2 tuners, and your recording 2 back to back shows on one channel. To make the second show record with the second tuner, you have to set the post-record to 10 minutes.

I only need to do this for my NBC comedy shows, as they run 30 seconds long.
I'll try 10 minutes.

When I tried "5 minutes" in place of "5 minute when possible" it stole 5 minutes from the start of the next show.

So basically if there are 3 shows on the same channel

6:00-7:00, 7:00-8:00, 8:00-9:00

I previously set
2 minutes ahead when possible and 3 minutes after when possible
It would record

5:58-7:00, 7:00-8:00, 8:00-9:03

If change '3 minutes after when possible' to '5 minutes', I now get

5:58-7:05, 7:05-8:05, 8:05-9:05

So I'll try 10 minutes. I hope the longer time flags something to force another tuner.

Correct, you have to use 10 minutes for it to force another tuner. It's documented somewhere deep in the microsoft forums.

I have 4 tuners, so what you described drove me nuts until i found the fix.

Back