Time Shift PC

Played the demo, really good game. Lots of people like it on other forums to. Its like a sleeper practically :)

The demo looked great and was nicely optimized. Gameplay seems a little generic, though. It's basically just run around and shoot dudes, except with the added gimmick of a time-controlling suit. Some time control sequences could have the potential to be cool and interesting, but I'd think that this kind of gameplay would get a little stale after a few hours into the retail game unless they varied it up somehow.

Gameplay seems a little generic, though. It's basically just run around and shoot dudes

I think I could probably say that about most FPS games, I've heard a few good things about this demo and grabbed it the other night, I've not had chance to play it yet though.

has to be one of the most dumbed down FPS ever. i dont know how the full game wil bel, if it will actually require an ounce of skill. using the timeshit thing in the demo you are practically using a god mode cheat. TOO EASY =boring.

I haven't tried the demo yet, so I can't say whether I like this particular game or not, but I always wonder why so many people think a shooter has to be so complex. Sure, it's nice to play a tactical one sometimes. It's also nice to play one with a deep and involving RPG-like story like the System Shock games. Also something with varied play like Riddick. I want to know exactly what's wrong with ones that are just about fast paced action with a gimmick or two. They may not be deep, but they can still be fun. Q3A and Q4 are among my favorite games. They are all about being good at just shooting dudes. :D (I also love that statement.) Anyway... Just something that crosses my mind a lot. Especially when I hear people suggesting things like wind effects and reducing accuracy in a game like UT3. Eeek!!!

I haven't tried the demo yet, so I can't say whether I like this particular game or not, but I always wonder why so many people think a shooter has to be so complex. Sure, it's nice to play a tactical one sometimes. It's also nice to play one with a deep and involving RPG-like story like the System Shock games. Also something with varied play like Riddick. I want to know exactly what's wrong with ones that are just about fast paced action with a gimmick or two. They may not be deep, but they can still be fun. Q3A and Q4 are among my favorite games. They are all about being good at just shooting dudes. :D (I also love that statement.) Anyway... Just something that crosses my mind a lot. Especially when I hear people suggesting things like wind effects and reducing accuracy in a game like UT3. Eeek!!!

QFT - all of it.

I started a rather big thread on TimeShift here last week, and most people agreed with my observations and feelings about it, all positive.

People have to learn to appreciate something for what it is, and TimeShift is meant to have a certain aesthetic to it, which it does through incredible graphics and the excellent, well-implemented use of time control.

I don't know if it's just the younger generation or what, but it seems like people still don't get the point: any FPS ever created IS about "shooting dudes". Hence the genre being called a "first-person shooter".

Some FPS titles can indeed have a bit more depth in terms of story, plot etc. but even if they do, it's still 99.9% "shooting dudes", and that's that. That's what it's about.

TimeShift has an excellent aesthetic to it, and unless you've not seen it first-hand on a high-end system, any clear and discerning eye can see that graphics are indeed "next-gen" and absolutely astounding (and that's coming from a "graphics whore"). On an 8800GTX maxed at 1680x1050, it's right up there with Crysis. The gameplay might not be nearly as open-ended as something like Crysis - which is an example of an FPS with more, well... open-endedness (lol) - but it's still a blast to play. Actually, I could see some replay value as well, since depending on how/when you use any time control, things could go down differently, at least in terms of whether you live or die and how you get through any particular segment of the game.

There are even some puzzle-type scenarios that you'll fail at first (like in the demo when you have to run through a suspended concrete pipe) until you realize that you have to slow down/stop time to get through it. Simple, but again, adds a certain aesthetic to the game that's enjoyable.

I also made the point before that this seems almost like a "sleeper" and I think it'll catch on stronger than most think, for those who can appreciate what it has to offer, anyway.

My only problem with the demo was the rain; constant rain that seems like it was just dropped in there to help drive the 'time control' point home... Looked really good at first... then just got annoying.

The game is totally stupid. From bad AI to terrible gameplay. The slowing down gets so old really fast. If people already own Doom or Quake or Half Life 2 or Fear or Farcry or any game similar to this. Not sure why they would want to play this. Unreal Tournament 3 is what I'm waiting for.

The game is totally stupid. From bad AI to terrible gameplay. The slowing down gets so old really fast. If people already own Doom or Quake or Half Life 2 or Fear or Farcry or any game similar to this. Not sure why they would want to play this. Unreal Tournament 3 is what I'm waiting for.

The same reason you want UT3. If you're into this type of play, and you like the qualities that a game of this genre possesses, then why wouldn't you pick it up? Some people like time mechanics in their play. I enjoyed Max Payne for this reason. I haven't played a first person game that used it, so it might be kinda fun. Like I said though, I haven't tried the demo, so I don't know if this particular one is for me. I was mostly talking about people who complain about the simplicity of shooters that were designed to be simple. (like all of the ones that you listed)

I thought it was good. A little short but not to bad. The time shifting feature felt a lot less gimmicky then i thought it would. Satisfying:D.
Could see this being an underdog. Story will be important factor. A BIG factor.

I found the game fun, but in order for it to be good throughout, I think it'd need a little variation here and there, such as a puzzle to keep the game from just being all heavy action and wearing you out.

just played the demo...pretty fun. I would like to see this gfx engine in a different setting. something with less rain..maybe more sunshine. This environment reminds me of stalker. Overall it looks like a fun game though. COD4 demo will still get most of my playing time though. :D

Played the demo, really good game. Lots of people like it on other forums to. Its like a sleeper practically :)
A sleeper? This game was completely redesigned, graphics and all, after coming out with a demo well over a year ago. It has been talked about quite a bit so I would hardly think "sleeper" would be the proper adjective.

I agree on the comment about the rain. Obviously there to drive home the time travel point. Annoying after 30 seconds. Otherwise fun, but I'm not sure on it yet.

I have it pre-ordered but I'm on the fence about buying it. My PC is just a little slow at running it.

The same reason you want UT3. If you're into this type of play, and you like the qualities that a game of this genre possesses, then why wouldn't you pick it up? Some people like time mechanics in their play. I enjoyed Max Payne for this reason. I haven't played a first person game that used it, so it might be kinda fun. Like I said though, I haven't tried the demo, so I don't know if this particular one is for me. I was mostly talking about people who complain about the simplicity of shooters that were designed to be simple. (like all of the ones that you listed)

Damnit, now I want to play Max Payne again. :p

I loved that game, great story line and the slow-mo was done excellently.

I downloaded this demo but haven't tried it out yet, when is the release set for?

I played the original demo, very cartoony, sort of retro.....not bad but not great either.

The time concept was interesting and fun to fool with the NPCs when time was frozen.

The new graphic is sort of Gears of War looking......havent played it at all, and probably wont; just not my cup of tea.

I thought the demo was pretty ok.. better than I expected.. much better than the POS that came out last year... that was a flippin joke... was that part of the same project? When Atari was producing it? I know it was picked up by Seirra sometime last year.. anyways.. All in all, it ~was~ sort of too easy and I didn't like that you were "corralled" into where the game wanted you to go.. still and all, it looked really nice and played well.. the time stop/reverse was fun to play with.. especially in the rain.. nice visuals. :)

edit: older but interesting read on the history of TimeShift

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before, but anyone else here play Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (think that was the title), it also did the time reversal trick.

I remember when the original demo of Timeshift was released a year or so ago. My god is was shite. It was released just after the 360 launch and it was BAD with a capital 'fucking'. It had really piss poor gfx where everything looked like a pc game from 2002 with the annoying bump mapping where everything looks like its wrapped in nice shiny plastic.

The new demo however is really good. It works really well. I like the whole 'timeshift' thing. It was great in Blinx on the original xbox and i remember thinking that it would be cool if Halo had a similar effect. It works rather well in the new demo. The gfx are VASTLY improved with a capital 'HOLY SHIT THE GRAPHICS ARE'. The rain in the demo emphasizes the various time effects perfectly, making them seem more obvious. I only wish the time effects lasted longer than five seconds. Maybe they do in the full game, i dunno. I would love to just run up to a guy and give him serious pain with multiple shots to the head and groin and then the same to all his pals that are sitting around in the area then unpause time and watch them collapse and die. Unfortunately the demo gives you maybe 5 seconds which lets you fire a couple of shots before going back to real time.

Even so. I liked the demo. The time thing really caught my imagination, but i'll be waiting for bargain bin time before picking this up, unless of course the game gets shit hot reviews.

Yes, it will probably be a great 10 dollar game.:D

There are so many games being released right now, its almost dizzying.:eek:

Just like UT3 I feel like this demo has a lot of visual noise going on, maybe It's just me but with all the effects on top of such details environments with rain pouring through it all, and shaders distorting everything, especially with depth of field, it alsmost seems too much, identifying enemies becomes more difficult.

It does look good though and it runs well on my rig, and yes it's a little generic. I was pleasently suprised by the destroyable environments, that makes the gunfights feel a lot cooler.

It all seemed very rushed though, I only had 1/2 a second to read the HUD messages, before I knew it I had 3 weapons before I had chance to properly try the first one out, little overwhealming.

The demo was great. If you like blowing shit up you'll like this game.

I LOVE blowing shit up. This game is obviously for me :D

Oh, and somebody said they'd never played an FPS with time controls. I thought F.E.A.R. made great use of the time slow mechanic.

I LOVE blowing shit up. This game is obviously for me :D

Oh, and somebody said they'd never played an FPS with time controls. I thought F.E.A.R. made great use of the time slow mechanic.

That wasn't a time control, that was your characters "off the chart" reaction time, the difference being that in FEAR when using the slow down effect, you're also slowed down yourself, compared to Timeshift where you remain normal speed in the game while everyone else is slow.

That wasn't a time control, that was your characters "off the chart" reaction time, the difference being that in FEAR when using the slow down effect, you're also slowed down yourself, compared to Timeshift where you remain normal speed in the game while everyone else is slow.

Yeah I know. I've played both games. (FEAR, and this demo on 360)

I was making a generalization.

Just played it, pretty short but it was really fun. I liked the effects and the game looked great.

Yeah, that's true, there is a lot going on with the visuals and everything happens quickly. It does throw you into things quickly, so I can see both those things mentioned in both posts. It actually took me a couple of times to get through the first few minutes of the demo to get used to things before I could get used to the three different weapons and three different time control modes.

Definitely makes for frantic gameplay, but maybe the full game will introduce things a little slower, but then perhaps maintain that frantic pace for the rest of the game. Which is still pretty damn fast-paced even once you are used to what weapons/abilities you have.

In a way I can see how maybe the first time through it'll feel almost "rushed", but I think that in some weird way that's part of what will lead to replay value, because you'll then know like the back of your hand what you can do and how, and feel "caught-up" with the game's mechanics and go through again in a little more of a "controlled" manner. If that makes sense.

Despite the chaotic pace and happenings though, there definitely is a certain fluidity to the game and it doesn't feel "choppy chaotic", just chaotically "in your face" and you have to make literally split-second decisions in combat. Once I got used to that, it only added to the enjoyment of it for me personally.

I really enjoyed the demo...totally didn't expect it to be as good as it was

will def purchase the game when it comes out

The demo didn't do much for me really. It seemed like a standard shooter with a familiar time-lapse mechanic. I guess it could be fun experimenting with the backwards and forwards, and pulling-off some creative stuff. I didn't really have the motivation to experiment though.

I had never heard of the game until I seen a few threads about it on here, so thanks to someone because the game is just fricking awesome!

Anyone know when it comes out?

Sure, the timeshift control gets old fairly quick but it is still playable. I liked the graphics more than Crysis in all honesty (perhaps I need a DX10 card and Vista to enjoy Crysis fully?). A bit linear but if you want a bit more of a challenge, try using the time shift less and it will give you a run for your money.:D

since CoD4 and Crysis are not out yet and I am done with Vegas and GRAW 2, this one will have to do for the time being.

Damnit, now I want to play Max Payne again. :p

I loved that game, great story line and the slow-mo was done excellently.

Ugh I loved Max Payne 2...

Anyway, Timeshift to me is just a mediocre game, really reminds me of FEAR. It can be enjoyed though, don't get me wrong. Using Slow-Mo and blasting 5 guys with a shotgun and seeing their helmets flying off while blood is going everywhere has a good feeling to it for some reason ;p

I think it's great! I couldn't really tell if I would like it based on the demo, but the whole time shifting part isn't overdone and it actually works well. The game also runs exceptionally well. I'm running it at 1920x1200 with all of the settings on max and I haven't noticed any slowdown at all. Definitely worth checking out IMO.

Anyone have a link to the original demo?/Just for shits and giggles..:p

Back