Time running out on Intel G2 TRIM Win7 support

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
I'm shopping for a SSD and I want to buy the Intel 80gb g2. I also want to be able to install Windows 7 simultaneously, and have TRIM support. It is true Intel has said they want to have TRIM support with the release of Win7. I think a lot of people are in my shoes, and are waiting to buy. This is just a thread raising awareness of the issue. If anyone finds news of the firmware update, post here! If you think TRIM doesn't matter, or that I'm crazy, post away!

5 days and counting! I just ordered the Intel g2 80 gig on faith. Now it's Intel's turn to not let me down! If there isn't TRIM support when Windows drops I'm not going to want to install it at all!

Install, and then enable TRIM once it's available... Am I misunderstanding something here?

I hear what you guys are saying.

I am not installing Win 7 or an SSD until TRIM is available for both. I don't want to activate TRIM later. I want it from the very beginning along with Win 7 recognizing that I have an SSD and setting itself up appropriately. From the very very freaking start.

There.

I hear what you guys are saying.

I am not installing Win 7 or an SSD until TRIM is available for both. I don't want to activate TRIM later. I want it from the very beginning along with Win 7 recognizing that I have an SSD and setting itself up appropriately. From the very very freaking start.

There.

It sets it up correctly from the start regardless of whether the SSD supports TRIM or not.

I think a lot of people like me think that even using their SSD in windows without TRIM might somehow damage the drive. I think we'd need to install the Win7 os, then flash the firmware cause we gotta download it anyways.

I think a lot of people like me think that even using their SSD in windows without TRIM might somehow damage the drive. I think we'd need to install the Win7 os, then flash the firmware cause we gotta download it anyways.

Don't know about Intel but for my OCZ Agility I just flashed it & TRIM was enabled, no reformat necessary.

Ya the OCZ models are straight. I didn't really mean damage the drives. I just meant that the idea of dirtying the drive by running one 1 firmware for a while, then flashing to a new one at some point after Win7 is released isn't very appealing. I think we Intel G2 guys will be fine, I have faith in Intel.

I didn't really mean damage the drives. I just meant that the idea of dirtying the drive by running one 1 firmware for a while, then flashing to a new one at some point after Win7 is released isn't very appealing.

lol

some of you are really dumb. lack of TRIM cant hurt the drives...what do you think theyve been running since SSDs were launched?

also, who the hell cares in the 1st place? it takes an hr to format a drive with W7 and another hr to reinstall all apps. with the launch so close, i can understand not installing the SSD, but W7 has also been available for 2 months and has a 30-day activation-less period with no lock-outs or downsides at all...you could have installed the RTM of W7 in late September and been running an SSD with TRIM until the launch, when you input your purchased serial key.

i think most ofd you just hear info about SSDs/ Windows 7, and TRIM and dont do any actual research for yourself.

news rick:
changing firmware will not hurt your data, your fears are without merit :rolleyes:

also, I know for a fact you already bought Intel's Gen-2 SSD (with free case!) so just deal with it! Intel will come through... and if not I will be the first to blow this up on them and return their crap no-TRIM SSD and get me an OCZ instead

:cool: for bleeding edge tech

Ya the OCZ models are straight. I didn't really mean damage the drives. I just meant that the idea of dirtying the drive by running one 1 firmware for a while, then flashing to a new one at some point after Win7 is released isn't very appealing. I think we Intel G2 guys will be fine, I have faith in Intel.

I take it you never update Windows, programs, drivers or your BIOS? :rolleyes:

I was just trolling with ridiculous remarks to increase discussion on the topic. All in good fun. I'm just H8'ing on Intel for being behind OCZ in TRIM support 'cause I always end up buying Intel anyways!

Well the Intel drives already have garbage collection so its not like you'll have huge performance issues. On top of that, trim isn't working with raid and probably won't for a while. Everyone is waiting on all the various raid controller manufacturers to support it, including Intel. So even if they release a trim firmware for the G2, if you end up raiding the drives onboard raid or a hardware controller, it won't work.

I won't be raiding anytime soon. It slows start up times, and for what I do 80 gigs is plenty. If it's TRIM supported and optimized I may raid another one, one day.

I'm surprised Intel hasn't released TRIM firmware yet... my Crucial 256GB M225 drive (Indilinx Barefoot w/ Samsung NAND) already did even :eek: . I would have thought Intel would have had it out early, wasn't aware they hadn't released it yet.

Intel probably has a time line of when to announce stuff, and doesn't read forums, or care about people like me. They planned out a month ago that TRIM firmware will release on Oct 22, or whatever date, and will stick to it.

I heard that Intel will make TRIM available when the consumer will be able to buy the G2 at MRSP or lower...;)

Everyone against the consumer! I just read today that Intel will be coming out with some new bargain SSDs that look like garbaggio.

Surprised the new firmware isn't out yet. At this rate it'll probably drop on Oct 22 (WIn7 launch day).

I've been running Windows 7 on my Intel G2 for several weeks and am very happy with it. Have a MS Action Pack subscription, so got 7 early.

I've got Win7 arriving on Friday. I got my SSD in the mail today. That gives Intel 2 more days until I'm officially disappointed.

Wheres this firmware. Better have a bunch of awesome improvements to be late for Win7 launch. LAME

I'm still at work; has anyone tried it yet? Are the performance improvements noticeable?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the other thread.

Last edited:
Back