Time on server is correct, but all comptuers are an hour behind when they get time

sbs2003 server..

it shows the right time.. daylight savings is checked. its gmt-5 eastern standard

all of the computers are manually set to gmt-5 est, with the dst checked.

I ran the net time command and got this: (this was at 5:11 pm)

Current time at \\server is 9/26/2008 4:11 PM

Local time (GMT-04:00) at \\server is 9/26/2008 5:11 PM

why is it kicking back 2 different times? and why is the right time the wrong timezone? and "current time" on the server not the time that the server is showing?

I always manually set the head servers time service to the us pool of NPT servers. I manually set it at the command prompt....for me it's a few dozen times quicker than clicking through the registry like that link above.

net time /setsntp:us.pool.npt.org

net stop w32time
net start w32time

Within a minute of doing those at the command prompt, your server should be accurate. Substitute "us.pool.npt.org" with whatever NPT pool is your geographic area. I find them more available than the standard old overloaded time servers of the NIST list or time.windows.

Once you've applied the DST patch to any domain member workstations/servers...they should synch up fine assuming correct time zone.

thanks for those ideas..
i have set the server to sync to external sources using the "net time /setsntp" command, the "w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:peers /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update", and through the registry.

they all seem to accomplish the same thing.. if i am on the server and type "net time" it says "current time at \\server is 9/30/2008 2:13 pm"

if i go to a workstation and run the "net time" command, that's when i get the discrepancy.

i have found various DST patches and installed them all. when i try to install the one for windows XP on any workstation it says the same or newer version is already installed.

When you go to a workstation, go to a command prompt, type in
net time /querysntp

What are the results?

i just did that.. most of them were going to time.windows.com and to another server that's in here..

so i did a "net time /setsntp" to clear them out.. now they are "not configured to use any specific sntp server"

and they are showing the wrong time..

and to another server that's in here..

Is that "other server that's in here" one with the correct time?

Is the some older GP pushing down that old server as the domain time server instead of the new SBS one?

What happens if you manually set sntp on a workstation to the SBS name?

the other server is running nt4.. the network used to be set where the sbs would get its time from the nt4 server.

where do i find time settings in the GP?

if i set a computer to get it from the sbs the time is an hour slow.

the old nt4 server should not be in the domain.

ok.. the computers are still managing to sync to that nt4 server somehow..
how do i make sure it is not set as NTP.. 1 workstation was set to NTP and i changed it to Nt5DS

most of the workstations were set to sync to the nt4 server and time.windows.com
i removed that .. (net time /setsntp) and just wiped them clean..

when the comptuers are synced to the nt4 server, they are the right time.. even though we have DST disabled on that server..

when they are synced to SBS they are an hour slow, even though the time on the server is correct.

Out of Curiosity, What's running DHCP? I've seen SNTP settings pushed out via DHCP before... Is it possible that the previously mentioned NT4 server is running DHCP and is blasting itself out as SNTP via DHCP?

The cisco pix 501e is the DHCP server. (I connected to it and set the time correctly, maybe I need to update the firmware too?)

Also, all of the computers use Static IP addresses. The previous IT vendor set it up this way, we haven't changed it, they have been using these IP addresses for 10+ years.

In the NT 4 days, login scripts often drove the net time for clients. Any leftover login scripts?
I always prefer to let the main server rung DHCP, not some router....I'd let SBS do its job...keeps the SBS box more updated with clients too.
GPResult on a wonky workstation show anything?
Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL from a workstation?

Back