Time for my "every 4 years" new build.

KevinG

Limp Gawd
So, after checking my previous build thread here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1272877

it looks like I go about 4 years between builds of my main rig. In the meantime, I've built other boxes (an i3 build for my WHS, for example), but now my main rig is really due for replacement (it will continue to exist, but as yet another capable machine for my kids to play on...)

So, onto the 10 questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Light gaming, but extensive photo/video work, as well as music production. I'm thinking i7 IB in a few weeks.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Pretty much unlimited, but I don't want to pay any more than I actually have to for what I need. I *do* live near a MicroCenter, so I'm hoping that they run a special on i7 IB cpu/motherboard combos next month...

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, suburb of Philly.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Case, Cpu, Ram, GPU, SSD, DVD, Keyboard/mouse (so, in a nutshell, "everything" :) )

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I already have monitors, that I will be reusing, and I have plenty of "storage" hard drives around, so I'll only need the SSD boot drive for this rig. I *require* an SSD on the order of 250GB.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes. I've never done a water cooling rig before, but the prebuilt corsair units really seem simple enough that I'd happily consider it. Which also means the case will need a place to mount the radiator...

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

2 monitors, both 1920x1200. One landscape, one portrait, but I can't see why that would matter...

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as IB is available, but can start buying parts immediately.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?
USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

RAID, not really, but hard to escape it being available nowadays.
Firewire, yes.
No Crossfire, or SLI is required...I'm a single GPU kind of guy.
USB 3.0, yes.
SATA 6Gb/s, yes.
eSata, yes.
No need for onboard video.
Would like a metric shit-ton of rear USB ports (I currently use about 8 on the rear of my current rig)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7/64 bit (I'm an MSDN subscriber)

-------------

In general, I've always gone with full tower cases, for lots of room, and lots of hard drive space. But, nowadays, I live almost entirely off of my WHS server for storage...So, a single SSD and a single HDD will probably cover me. So, I'm thinking a mid-tower would suffice.

I've learned to like my current Gigabyte MB, so I do have something of a slight inclination toward their products.

I'd like a TON of memory, mostly because it's certainly cheap enough nowadays. 24 or 32gigs.

Oh, here's another question. It's common knowledge that having multiple spindles (HDDs) is beneficial. Is there any reason that the same is true of SSDs? In other words, Is there any benefit to having 2 SDDs instead of one, if they total the same amount of storage (I'm not talking about RAIDing here, at all).

Thanks!
-Kevin

I'm mostly talking to myself here...but scratch the SSD off the list.

Just grabbed a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe, 240GB for $239 from newegg.

It's in the first post, as it's question #2:

KevinG said:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Pretty much unlimited, but I don't want to pay any more than I actually have to for what I need. I *do* live near a MicroCenter, so I'm hoping that they run a special on i7 IB cpu/motherboard combos next month...

Hmm, not sure I'll get an answer quick enough to matter, but here goes...

Today's shell shocker:

CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11

is $90, so 32gigs for $180.

versus what I had on my list:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL

for $212.50

Should I jump on the shocker, or are the ripjaws worth the difference?

It's cas 11 vs 10... not too much of a difference. I would say either get the XMS3 on shell shocker OR look for some 1600 cas 9 or lower.

Reading around seems to indicate that memory speed is pretty much a non-issue nowadays when it comes to real world performance. So, maybe I just don't care, and I should grab the shell shocker?

Anyone else care to comment?

Just grabbed a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe, 240GB for $239 from newegg.
I wouldn't have gotten that SSD due to it being a Sandforce SSD. I would have gone with the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 instead.
Should I jump on the shocker, or are the ripjaws worth the difference?
Reading around seems to indicate that memory speed is pretty much a non-issue nowadays when it comes to real world performance. So, maybe I just don't care, and I should grab the shell shocker?
The shocker is ok but there are better deals: Right now, Newegg is running a 20% discount ending on 4/11 on this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231556

With that 20% discount, it drops the RAM down to $84. $84 for lower timings is worth it since lower timings makes a little more difference in performance than RAM speed for Intel CPUs.
Not a good PSU to buy considering that there are significantly higher quality and larger PSUs out there. Like this Corsair:
$105 - Corsair 750TX V2 750W PSU

In addition to the higher quality and lower price, the TX750 V2 has 62A on the +12V rail. The GS700 has 56A on the +12V rail.

Now as for the rest of the parts:
- Can't comment on that mobo as I'm still waiting for more reviews of it.

- When you buy the parts, make sure to look around on newegg for the best deal on a DVD burner: Quality among most DVD burners is virtually all the same. So just get the cheapest one with the lowest shipping cost and you will be fine. Typically DVD burners comes in at $20 shipped.

- That Case is a fine choice. However, if you can buy before the end of this month, make sure you get the PSU and case together from this combo link to save $25:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.873516

Thanks for the info! Although a bit too late on some of it, as I'm impatient. ;-)

This particular Sandforce implementation seems to be very highly reviewed...it'll do as my first ever SSD. ;-)

Toms hardware rates it as the best drive in it's class

Also, too late on the alternative memory choice...I'm in for two sets of the shocker deal. It'll suffice, I hope.

Good catch on the power supply, and excellent news on pointing out the package deal...I'll research it a bit more tomorrow, and probably pull the trigger...unless someone else can redirect my attention to another case that would be better for some reason.

Thanks again!
-Kevin

Edit: By the way, neither of your links seem to work at the moment...

Everything looks fine to me.

My rig is starting to approach the 4 year mark. I think I built it back in June 2008. But I'm gonna soldier on with it for another year. Personally I'm looking forward to Haswell. At which point it will be a completely new build from the ground up with the exception of my monitors (spent too much on them to just toss them out; besides they work fine), mouse and some of my hard drives.

Strange, they work fine for me. Showing up as the regular Newegg links. Are you accessing from work or something?

Strange, they work fine for me. Showing up as the regular Newegg links. Are you accessing from work or something?

Very interesting...they work fine for me from work...but from home, they turn into that wacky link...Oh well, I'll have to try to track that one down a bit later today...

Okay, so back to the details.

I'm likely to order that case/power supply combo sometime today...I'm a bit hesitant due to the complaints of the H100 radiator being a tight fit in that case. Can anyone give me some clarity on whether or not it will be okay?

Also, still no suggestions on a GFX card?

Thanks.

Edit to add: This link makes me think it'll be fine...
installing-the-hydro-series-h100-in-the-graphite-600t

Last edited:
Have you bought the H100 yet? It's currently $99 at MicroCenter if you are still looking.
As for the case, it seems like it will fit in a few different configurations, but you won't be able to do push/pull fans. From my experiences with the H100 you will want the rad on the outside (under the mesh grill) and the fans on the inside blow out exhaust. Then flip your back exhaust fan to intake instead. I saw a big difference in temps versus the other way around.

If you're not too set on the H100 and its simplicity, I'd recommend going custom WC as you'll get much better performance and the ability to add things into the loop later.

Videocard-wise... try to get your hands on a gtx 680. Unfortunately stock is still very limited.

Have you bought the H100 yet? It's currently $99 at MicroCenter if you are still looking.

If you're not too set on the H100 and its simplicity, I'd recommend going custom WC as you'll get much better performance and the ability to add things into the loop later.

Videocard-wise... try to get your hands on a gtx 680. Unfortunately stock is still very limited.

Haven't bought the h100 yet...and may end up getting it at MicroCenter instead of newegg. But, after tax (at Microcenter) the difference in price is pretty tiny.

Since it's my first ever foray into water cooling, I feel much more comfortable with the h100 rather than a roll-your-own system.

The gtx680 will probably be more available by the time the IB cpus start showing up...but do I really need a card like that if I'm not playing FPS games?

Sorry, I skipped over some of the questions you answered. It's rather hard to say since you have an unlimited budget, but there are plenty of good options in the $200 range. I guess it depends how long (theoretically) you want your graphics card to last as far as being able to handle more and more demanding games.

Thanks, and np.

It isn't really a gaming rig, so a good option in the $200 range probably makes sense...again, money isn't the issue...but I'd rather not "waste" it on the worlds best (currently) gaming card if I'll never need that power...

Maybe I'll end up with a 680 anyway, since it's a simple decision...but what are some actual good options in the $200 range?

The 560ti 448 card is a great card for the money. This is what I'm currently using while I await step-ups to the 680. With Evga you'd also have the option to do a step up within the first 90-days.

On the AMD side you'd be looking at either the new 7850 or probably used 6950/6970.

Just keeping the build thread updated.

Went ahead and ordered the combo case/power supply.

Researching GFX cards, awaiting IB. :)

Ordered the H100 cooler with the 25% off coupon from corsair.

Only things left are:
MB
CPU
GPU
Keyboard/mouse
Optical drive

-Kevin

Are you going IB because it's new and it'll be out soon, or any other specific reason.

I was contemplating building soon and wasn't totally looking at IB, rather a 2500K or a 3750K instead.

Are you going IB because it's new and it'll be out soon, or any other specific reason.

I was contemplating building soon and wasn't totally looking at IB, rather a 2500K or a 3750K instead.

Mostly because it's new and will be out soon. If you ask anyone about building a rig right now, their first question would probably be "Can you wait a couple weeks?" It's probably worth waiting for.

Anyway, went ahead and bought the logitch 710 combo keyboard/mouse.

Newegg is amazing...everything I've ordered is here already, including the case/powersupply & printer I ordered yesterday.

-Kevin

As long as supply is good I see no reason to not wait for IB if you can. Hopefully it won't be like the 2011 socket chips, where the supply was so limited and demand so high.

But what'll the pricing be? I feel like the $219 price point of the 2500K is incredible. The raw performance out of that chip for just gaming purposes alone is already insane.

But what'll the pricing be? I feel like the $219 price point of the 2500K is incredible. The raw performance out of that chip for just gaming purposes alone is already insane.

Yeah, thats why I went ahead and got a 2500k now. If the new chips are better, then can always get a new mb with the cpu. :D

So you can have a super fast 2500K backup computer....

I'm not confirming anything yet but it looks like I might just go with a 2500K and a 680 (if I can get my hands on one). Probably won't build until the end of the month now. Things may change.

Always worth seeing if Ivy does leaps better.

Generally, Intel releases CPU around the price range of their older CPUs.

The real question is this:

Which will become available first? IB CPUs or GTX 680 GPUs? ;-)

The real question is this:

Which will become available first? IB CPUs or GTX 680 GPUs? ;-)

You can order GTX 680's now... check Amazon or google shopping... I think Provantage has then but you'd probably get yours in about a week's time.

I really mean the ability to walk into a microcenter, and walk out with one...

Or, have places like newegg not say "out of stock" for every single model...

I'm really keen on getting a 680. From everything I've been reading, it seems like a perfect card to power a single monitor for gaming. I'm looking at possibly a 1920x1080/1200 resolution, maybe a 24" screen.

Hopefully when I go to get one they'll be in stock, for you and me OP!

I paid $480'ish for my GTX580 and I thought that was a good price point for the performance. $520 doesn't sound too unreasonable.

Well, I couldn't resist the MicroCenter $199 2600K, so I grabbed one, and a sabertooth z77, and an MSI gtx570 to hold me over...

Back