Time for me to dump Mint, thinking about going back to Windows

Trying to install Pop OS in a virtual machine in Virtualbox. This happens. Also tried with Ubuntu and same thing. :(

Installing from an iso.

View attachment 355014
You either don't have an init installed (unlikely), or it's not in your initramfs (also unlikely), or you didn't load your initramfs when you booted the kernel (possible).

What's your boot menu config look like?

Oh, you can set init=/bin/bash to get a shell to poke around with, if necessary.

Edit: oh, could also get that if your root isn't mounted in the correct location, I think. Not sure off hand.

You either don't have an init installed (unlikely), or it's not in your initramfs (also unlikely), or you didn't load your initramfs when you booted the kernel (possible).

What's your boot menu config look like?
It's pretty much impossible that something is not installed when booting off the ISO. Virtualbox configuration error is more likely, such as virtualization not enabled in bios or using the wrong OS version.

It's pretty much impossible that something is not installed when booting off the ISO. Virtualbox configuration error is more likely, such as virtualization not enabled in bios or using the wrong OS version.
I thought the error was from booting after install, but yeah, probably config error if that's coming from the install iso.

Maybe you have quirky earbuds cause my Sennheiser cans pair and connect like no one's business, so does my phone, my wife's phone, my Xbone gamepad (actually works better under Linux believe it or not)

Just works
I've never successfully connected by Xbox one controller to my Windows PC. Ever.

I've never successfully connected by Xbox one controller to my Windows PC. Ever.

I hope that is with the bluetooth you are talking about. The reason I mention that is because under Windows, by XBox One controllers have no issues connecting, through bluetooth or physically connected. (Meaning, something might be wrong with you controller.) Thankfully, my XBox 360 controller with the wireless adapter works in Linux or Windows, without issue.

I hope that is with the bluetooth you are talking about. The reason I mention that is because under Windows, by XBox One controllers have no issues connecting, through bluetooth or physically connected. (Meaning, something might be wrong with you controller.) Thankfully, my XBox 360 controller with the wireless adapter works in Linux or Windows, without issue.
It's fine when connected physically... No luck with Bluetooth. Works fine on the console.

Anyone play around with Zorin? https://zorinos.com/
I have it installed as a VM in windows 10 to check it out.
I downloaded the lite version, looks fine (XFCE on a deb based distro, 32 bit). I have an old Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M and 1 G RAM I'll try it on sometime. Wife still uses the laptop for music/videos in the exercise room.

I downloaded the lite version, looks fine (XFCE on a deb based distro, 32 bit). I have an old Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M and 1 G RAM I'll try it on sometime. Wife still uses the laptop for music/videos in the exercise room.
Installed it on the D600 and it works well. I replaced the music player with quod libet as the default and others like Clementine will peg the CPU. QL runs at about 50% CPU and does all she needs it for which is randoming through a playlist of exercise music. VLC uses less CPU for video than the default as well and can play her exercise video rips full screen at 50% CPU as well. Suspend worked out of the box and I defaulted that to the power button so it's only 2-3 seconds on and off suspending vs booting. Oh, on this old POS laptop, it really helps to turn off compositing which was on by default. Took all the lag out of the desktop. With QL or VLC playing it's running about 400-600MB used. Everything else worked out of the box except loading the correct Broadcom driver which I won't fault the distro for as that is an issue always for these old BC chips.

Time to move over to Ubuntu and ditch that KDE stuff, in my opinion. It is entirely up to you but, as nice as KDE may look, it has issues.

KDE?! He's using Mint Cinnamon isn't he? What's that got to do with KDE?

Here's the simple tick box under KDE, not hard to find. Quite simply, as I've always stated, Mint sucks.

FUooUXD.png

As fast as Linux changes that's easier said than done. What you learn today doesn't always work tomorrow.
Something I also find is an issue under Windows.

Where's Control Panel > Settings? Oh, it's now in that bloody horrible settings menu with the fat fingered touch UI and isn't as intuitive...Awesome.

Hang on, while I was navigating there Windows switched to a black screen with a blue window asking me to switch to an 'online account' - There's no option to decline, I can only defer for three days. WTF?

Where's Control Panel > Settings? Oh, it's now in that bloody horrible settings menu with the fat fingered touch UI and isn't as intuitive...Awesome.

Hang on, while I was navigating there Windows switched to a black screen with a blue window asking me to switch to an 'online account' - There's no option to decline, I can only defer for three days. WTF?
You can just create a fake hotmail e-mail and tie that to the online account. No big deal. Forcing you to do that however is new to me. Hasn't happened to me so far.

You can just create a fake hotmail e-mail and tie that to the online account. No big deal. Forcing you to do that however is new to me. Hasn't happened to me so far.
Or I can use an OS where I still own my own machine without the OS hijacking the damn thing. ;)

It happens under WIndows 10 Home where you avoid the 'online account' creation by installing Windows offline. Eventually, at some stage, Windows suddenly tries to force the user into using a Microsoft account once an internet connection is detected.

That control panel/settings whatever is still the biggest annoyance to me. Who the hell sat down and thought that was a good idea?

They made it "more intuitive"?... For who? People who care aren't even going into their settings and changing anything because they don't know how. If I'm ever in there it's to fix an issue.

That control panel/settings whatever is still the biggest annoyance to me. Who the hell sat down and thought that was a good idea?

They made it "more intuitive"?... For who? People who care aren't even going into their settings and changing anything because they don't know how. If I'm ever in there it's to fix an issue.
God it shits me.

I just know they're going to remove the whole Control Panel eventually for that God awful settings panel, and when they do I'm going to yell at clouds...And kids on my lawn.

Or I can use an OS where I still own my own machine without the OS hijacking the damn thing. ;)

It happens under WIndows 10 Home where you avoid the 'online account' creation by installing Windows offline. Eventually, at some stage, Windows suddenly tries to force the user into using a Microsoft account once an internet connection is detected.

I don't understand why people allow them to get away with this.

God it shits me.

I just know they're going to remove the whole Control Panel eventually for that God awful settings panel, and when they do I'm going to yell at clouds...And kids on my lawn.

I don't understand why people allow them to get away with this.

I have only one issue with the settings panel, it is not in alphabetical order and there is no way to set it so.

Just loaded Pop OS on my HTPC. Ubuntu had too many weird things about it for me to feel comfortable. Like when you log in you get a black screen for a solid 30 seconds before the desktop appears. And the screen resolution of the login screen was always a different resolution. Hopefully Pop will be better. All it needs to do is run Kodi and that's it. Only issue so far with Pop is I can't figure out how to put program icons on the desktop. I found instruction but they were useless.

Maybe something is wrong with your video drivers. I never have that issue with Ubuntu. Login screen is full resolution (ultrawide even) and it is only black for maybe 1 second before the desktop appears.

Could be but had neither of these problems with Mint. PC is an Intel NUC which of course uses Intel video chip. I'd prefer Nvidia but that's not an option.

Another minor issue with Ubuntu that doesn't exist in Mint is I have to click on the user name before I can enter the password. Since there is only one user, this is stupid.

Why even struggle with a DE if all you need is a Kodi server? I assume it's same as Plex and all you need to do is install it and occasionally use systemctl start/stop/restart/etc and sudo apt update.

Strange, I don't have that issue either. I can just start typing the password and it works.

Which version of Ubuntu are you on? I'm using 20.04 LTS.

In any case, I found Mint to be better than Ubuntu out of box. Things just work a little easier.

Strange, I don't have that issue either. I can just start typing the password and it works.

Which version of Ubuntu are you on? I'm using 20.04 LTS.

In any case, I found Mint to be better than Ubuntu out of box. Things just work a little easier.

I run Mint on my every day box. I started out with Mint on the HTPC but f#$ked up by setting login without a PW on install. Bad mistake. :confused:

Just loaded Pop OS on my HTPC. Ubuntu had too many weird things about it for me to feel comfortable. Like when you log in you get a black screen for a solid 30 seconds before the desktop appears. And the screen resolution of the login screen was always a different resolution. Hopefully Pop will be better. All it needs to do is run Kodi and that's it. Only issue so far with Pop is I can't figure out how to put program icons on the desktop. I found instruction but they were useless.

Were you using Ubuntu 21.04? 21.04 uses Wayland by default and in my opinion, is no where near ready for mainstream use.

Could be but had neither of these problems with Mint. PC is an Intel NUC which of course uses Intel video chip. I'd prefer Nvidia but that's not an option.

Another minor issue with Ubuntu that doesn't exist in Mint is I have to click on the user name before I can enter the password. Since there is only one user, this is stupid.

I usually just hit enter on the keyboard, type in the password and hit enter. Or if the video went to sleep before I logged in, I just hit tab, enter, password, enter.

Edit: Usually my biggest issue at that point is my fat fingering my password in.

Last edited:
I'd prefer not to use a password at all on my HTPC. It's so unnecessary. Security is a total non issue. But if I set Linux up to login without a password then I have to type in a password every single time I connect to a network share and that sucks even worse.

I'd prefer not to use a password at all on my HTPC. It's so unnecessary. Security is a total non issue. But if I set Linux up to login without a password then I have to type in a password every single time I connect to a network share and that sucks even worse.
Click the 'login automatically' setting, duh. Like others said if it's a server why do you bother with the DE? Just ssh into the box using your id_rsa.pub when needed. If you're lazy just add something to the sort of:
10.10.10.2 kodi
to your hosts file (obviously using the kodi box ip) and then if your kodi user and pc users are the same you get in simply by typing: ssh kodi
If you're sorry enough to use windows then everything of course becomes complicated and you have to use PuTTy.

Last edited:
Wasn't putting icons on the desktop removed as a feature from Gnome as apparently Gnome devs know better? Which is what shits me about Gome.

Quite possibly Ubuntu modified the DE to allow for icons on the desktop, where as PopOS! is built more around vanilla Gnome. Personally, I think Gnome devs are asshats. If you don't want KDE, run Ubuntu Mate - Hands down one of the best DE's out there.

I have only one issue with the settings panel, it is not in alphabetical order and there is no way to set it so.
My issue with the settings panel is the fact it exists. People complained when Microsoft tried the touch UI with Windows 8 and stuck with Windows 7, with the advent of Windows 10 Microsoft are pushing harder and harder for a touch UI on what is supposed to be a desktop OS and no one bats an eyelid.

Stand up and be heard people. If they don't listen, tell them to piss off and use something else.

ManofGod, we've had our differences in the past, but I truly respect that you are doing your best to make Linux work for you - Outstanding job.

My issue with the settings panel is the fact it exists. People complained when Microsoft tried the touch UI with Windows 8 and stuck with Windows 7, with the advent of Windows 10 Microsoft are pushing harder and harder for a touch UI on what is supposed to be a desktop OS and no one bats an eyelid.

Stand up and be heard people. If they don't listen, tell them to piss off and use something else.

ManofGod, we've had our differences in the past, but I truly respect that you are doing your best to make Linux work for you - Outstanding job.
I think there are two reasons why Microsoft can pull this off:
1) People are conditioned to eat their daily gruel salt or without salt.
2) Most people just don't have the fight left in them or are simply too dumb to know the difference.
If you ask an average person why they use a Windows computer they'll always say: Because that's what everyone else uses. Without questioning the logic.

On the other hand we can be lucky that Bill Gates wasn't a sausage manufacturer. We'd all be eating one dull brand globally.

Most people's interactions with the OS itself are pretty minimal. It's just a means to get to their apps. So even if the OS is annoying, it's only about 1% of the overall experience. The hassle and the learning curve to improve that 1% is just not worth it to most.

Most people's interactions with the OS itself are pretty minimal. It's just a means to get to their apps. So even if the OS is annoying, it's only about 1% of the overall experience. The hassle and the learning curve to improve that 1% is just not worth it to most.

For those who value objective local privacy, even on the tracking device in the pocket, it is entirely worth it. :)

I don't buy it.

We have different UI's presented to us all the time now. Differing smartphones, differing smart fridges, the UI on the ordering station at the local McDonalds, differing UI's on our car's infotainment, differing UI's on smart TV's, even differing UI's between differing versions of software itself. People have the capability to learn new things, they always have and they always will.

They are being conditioned to believe they don't have the ability to learn new things, they're being conditioned to believe that they need Microsoft's Office suite when they probably don't. It's the consumerism machine working overtime.

Good point. Also, what most people do on the computer (like average people, not PC gamers) is open a web browser and look at Facebook/Twitter/etc. which works fine on Linux.

I use LibreOffice and I think it is actually better than MS Office, they fixed the rendering I think recently so the fonts look much higher quality (like comparing Excel to Calc, Calc looks better).

Learning a new UI is not difficult. At least not to the extent that people think. And some distros are easy enough to use without going into the command line all the time if you're not doing advanced tasks.

And if you are a high-end users, Linux gives you more control and you can get it exactly how you want. Unlike Windows which is basically take it or leave it, not much customization possible.

Good point. Also, what most people do on the computer (like average people, not PC gamers) is open a web browser and look at Facebook/Twitter/etc. which works fine on Linux.

I use LibreOffice and I think it is actually better than MS Office, they fixed the rendering I think recently so the fonts look much higher quality (like comparing Excel to Calc, Calc looks better).

Learning a new UI is not difficult. At least not to the extent that people think. And some distros are easy enough to use without going into the command line all the time if you're not doing advanced tasks.

And if you are a high-end users, Linux gives you more control and you can get it exactly how you want. Unlike Windows which is basically take it or leave it, not much customization possible.

I have never been tied to one interface and nothing else nor have I looked at things on a UI where everything must be the same. I used a C64, then an Amiga 500 with OS Workbench 1.3 and 2.04, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, OS/2 Warp 3 with Windows (I still think that was one of the best ever), Win95, BeOS, every version of Windows until today, Slackware in 1996 and other Linux based OSes and DE's and so on. I love trying new things out, just because but, I wish the Amiga and OS/2 Warp would have won the day.

Just took my HTPC with newly installed Pop OS for a spin and I'm not happy. Every time I touch the wireless keyboard it pops up and tells me the batteries are low and I have to manually close it. And it pops up on top of Kodi while I'm watching a movie. Also in the middle of the movies it closes Kodi and tells me I have new updates to install. This in your face OS has got to go. Going back to Mint Cinnamon. :mad:

Back