Time for me to dump Mint, thinking about going back to Windows

Well I looked around a bunch. Nvidia could be the issue, but I found some threads about Mutter, it appears to have something to do with desktop composition.

I used to be able to fix it with Compiz refresh rate, but Compiz doesn't work anymore. Also it did work on Mint by disabling V-Sync, but Ubuntu doesn't have the setting.

Nvidia here, my desktop is smooth as butter.

Be aware that you can't run mixed refresh rates with multiple monitors, as far as I'm aware even Wayland doesn't support such configurations unless you're running Sway. Personally I hate multiple monitors that aren't identical, it messes with my OCD, so I've never had an issue.

The last time I used Ubuntu Mate it came with Compiz as an option to be used as a compositor, and can be made to look as modern as any other DE out there. As for Windows, I find it's on the decline - Microsoft's constant and relentless push for Microsoft accounts is as underhanded as it is intrusive and I won't tolerate it, furthermore I'd like to know what their end game is regarding Microsoft accounts.

Yeah, I'm not 100% happy with Microsoft either, but I find Linux entails little compromises here and there and it starts to add up.

I mean, I've been doing this for a few years now. Dual booting and switching back and forth like every couple months.

I don't think there is a right answer, it's just a trade-off. You can't have everything.

Yeah, I'm not 100% happy with Microsoft either, but I find Linux entails little compromises here and there and it starts to add up.

I mean, I've been doing this for a few years now. Dual booting and switching back and forth like every couple months.

I don't think there is a right answer, it's just a trade-off. You can't have everything.
Everything is always a compromise. It doesn't matter if you're running Windows, Linux or MacOS.

However in my use case it's Windows that isn't the acceptable solution.

On Kubuntu surprisingly I haven't any major problems with my monitors, they're all different models and resolutions. primary is 144hz and the others are 60hz , all on a 1080ti

Sometimes widgets get misplaced after waking from sleep. They're like placed in the middle instead top right or something like that. Sometimes the taskbar gets displaced to another monitor. I think these are side effects of different resolutions but I don't care too much

Nice way of getting around it is killing plasma and restarting it. All comes back together again

On Kubuntu surprisingly I haven't any major problems with my monitors, they're all different models and resolutions. primary is 144hz and the others are 60hz , all on a 1080ti

Sometimes widgets get misplaced after waking from sleep. They're like placed in the middle instead top right or something like that. Sometimes the taskbar gets displaced to another monitor. I think these are side effects of different resolutions but I don't care too much

Nice way of getting around it is killing plasma and restarting it. All comes back together again
Are you running X11 or Wayland?

From what I understand X11 can't handle mixed refresh rates and it seems like an unsolvable problem (I've gone deep into the bug reports trying to find a fix).

I haven't tried Wayland, but I hear you can't game on it with Nvidia yet, so that is a no-go for me.

I have an annoying problem with dual monitors. For no apparent reason, occasionally, a program will open up on the second monitor. Even if it's turned off. Would love to know what causes this.

From what I understand X11 can't handle mixed refresh rates and it seems like an unsolvable problem (I've gone deep into the bug reports trying to find a fix).

I haven't tried Wayland, but I hear you can't game on it with Nvidia yet, so that is a no-go for me.
Think this is still true yes. Last I heard, Nvidia was supposed to have posted patches that may fix this issue that are not implemented yet. Wayland is the future, just a matter of time.

Under X11, both displays are rendered as one large display, no different to NV Surround and Eyefinity in the past - Therefore your refresh rate will only be as high as the refresh rate of the 'slowest' monitor.

I have an annoying problem with dual monitors. For no apparent reason, occasionally, a program will open up on the second monitor. Even if it's turned off. Would love to know what causes this.
I only ever had this happen on games, I never had it happen on applications - They always opened on the monitor they were closed on. This is where KDE is good as you can add rules to windows. I only run one 4k monitor nowadays, but I have rules in place to make sure certain applications only open in certain workspaces as I make full use of virtual workspaces. Games usually have a setting allowing you to select which monitor they open on.

cGOLW1S.png

Think this is still true yes. Last I heard, Nvidia was supposed to have posted patches that may fix this issue that are not implemented yet. Wayland is the future, just a matter of time.
It's going to be a long time before Wayland replaces X11, the current implementation is essentially a mix of both. You cannot compleately do away with X11 as to do so would totally break the Linux desktop. Furthermore, Wayland still has issues that need to be resolved.

Back