Time for an upgrade. Longevity better with new phones?

valorouswon

Weaksauce
Hello,

I currently have the M8 which is a great phone. A new S8 will be around $1000CAN, unlocked with no plan. M8 still has the best design IMO, so I'm wondering if I should just get a M9 for $350CAN BNIB.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...-m9-brand-new-unlocked/c585138?channelId=1101

Seems like phones are pretty much the same 4-5 years later in terms of lasting. I don't need a better camera, faster cpu for gaming, ram, etc. Battery and hard drives in phones are only like 3-5% better, unless you get a note.

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say 3 years for sure. If a new phone costs too much, try a flagship from last year like an S7 and you should still see 3 years of use.

I made my call on what I figured my top end requirements for a phone would when I picked up an LG V10 a couple years ago. You're right about there not being a very compelling reason to hop on the newest thing because of computing power, etc. I just went with removeable storage and battery and figured that a couple extra batteries andba 256GB SD card would keep me going for the forseeable future.

Guess it comes down to what you want to do with a phone (and probably why samsung is pushing its vr goggles so hard).

Back