Time for a new case....which one of these?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
Time to prepare for a new build and a new enclosure. I am very concerned about dust & pet hair (needs robust filters), but also for airflow efficiency. I'm planning for a tower air cooler (NHD-15), a standard atx mobo, 2 mechanical hard-drives, bunch of SSD's I have laying around, a RTX 3080 FE (if I can get my hands on one). I would hang on to my optical drive but I'll get a USB version when I need one. Anyway, I've been looking through various mid tower options and have come up with some tentative candidates (I've already considered their prices for my use before listing them - not listed in any specific order). Planning for positive pressure setup to prevent dust bunnies.

1. Lian-li Lancool 2 Mesh
2. Phanteks P600S
3. Corsair 4000D
4. Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX
5. NZXT H710 (not too keen on this one except for its looks - airflow is iffy)
6. Fractal Design Meshify-C (I'm not sure if the front panel can block out most dust)
7. Fractal design s6/s7

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
Time to prepare for a new build and a new enclosure. I am very concerned about dust & pet hair (needs robust filters), but also for airflow efficiency. I'm planning for a tower air cooler (NHD-15), a standard atx mobo, 2 mechanical hard-drives, bunch of SSD's I have laying around, a RTX 3080 FE (if I can get my hands on one). I would hang on to my optical drive but I'll get a USB version when I need one. Anyway, I've been looking through various mid tower options and have come up with some tentative candidates (I've already considered their prices for my use before listing them - not listed in any specific order). Planning for positive pressure setup to prevent dust bunnies.

2. Phanteks P600S
3. Corsair 4000D
6. Fractal Design Meshify-C (I'm not sure if the front panel can block out most dust)
7. Fractal design s6/s7

I don't have experience with anything else, but fractal design cases are top shelf.
I expect the meshify has filters behind the front panel. I'm sure there are reviews.
I would recommend either fractal design case.

2. Phanteks P600S
3. Corsair 4000D
7. Fractal design s6/s7

The Enthoo EOLV is the only one of those I've ever actually used. I've never been impressed with the materials and construction of any of the Fractal Design cases I've seen. The rest, I can't speak to.

The Enthoo EOLV is the only one of those I've ever actually used. I've never been impressed with the materials and construction of any of the Fractal Design cases I've seen. The rest, I can't speak to.

How do you find the airflow/temps in the Evolv compared to past cases you've used? Cheers

How do you find the airflow/temps in the Evolv compared to past cases you've used? Cheers

To be honest, the original EVOLV isn't very good when it comes to airflow. You have to mod the thing in order for it to get decent airflow. When modded, they work fine but it elevates the cost of the case quite a bit to do it. There is a newer version, but I haven't worked with it personally.

To be honest, the original EVOLV isn't very good when it comes to airflow. You have to mod the thing in order for it to get decent airflow. When modded, they work fine but it elevates the cost of the case quite a bit to do it. There is a newer version, but I haven't worked with it personally.
I bumped out the front panel some (cost like 5 bucks in parts, or something pretty insignificant) and that helped airflow quite a bit.

https://hardforum.com/threads/phant...assis-review-h.1867517/page-4#post-1043058295

Reactions: Whach
like this
I bumped out the front panel some (cost like 5 bucks in parts, or something pretty insignificant) and that helped airflow quite a bit.

https://hardforum.com/threads/phant...assis-review-h.1867517/page-4#post-1043058295

That's the cheap mod and it does work. You can also get vented front and top panels which help even more. Unfortunately, it ruins the look of the case in my opinion. The whole reason why the Enthoo EVOLV sold in the first place was because it looked so appealing visually.

Meshify/Define C is going to be tight with gpu clearance.
I already had issues pre 30x0.

Corsair is meh is layout and build quality.

Phanteks P600s iirc is the evolve tooling, better to go with p500A when that releases.

Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh is available to order right now, that's the one I'd go with.

like this
Just a note, I've built systems using the Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic and Dynamic XL. They are excellent to work in and other than everyone buying one these days, they are amazing cases.

like this
Just a note, I've built systems using the Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic and Dynamic XL. They are excellent to work in and other than everyone buying one these days, they are amazing cases.

Did you like the O11 for air cooling?
I'm not sure he can populate all of his drives in one.

OP how many ssds = "a bunch"?

I have never built an air cooled system in one. I've always used some sort of AIO or gone full custom water cooling in one.

I have never built an air cooled system in one. I've always used some sort of AIO or gone full custom water cooling in one.

He's air cooling.
I've done water cooled builds in them, kept sleeping on the Air model bc I didn't want to run without a front filter if I was doing an air cooled build.

Chimney layout in either size = 2x140mm top exhaust, side fans fully populated, bottom intake as needed for his positive pressure goal.

If you're only going to have 2 mechanical hard drives I'll say that as much as I absolutely love Fractal Design cases, you probably don't need the R6 or Define 7 unless you're going with a big reservoir. I have 6 hard drives in my case and it feels empty.

If you're only going to have 2 mechanical hard drives I'll say that as much as I absolutely love Fractal Design cases, you probably don't need the R6 or Define 7 unless you're going with a big reservoir. I have 6 hard drives in my case and it feels empty.

They aren't my choice for setting up a wall of air either.
Lancool 2 Mesh is my luck here unless OP is trying to cram 6+ ssds on top of those 2 hdds

Then it starts to become compromise time if the hdds are current capacity and those ssds are all over 1tb capacity.

around 3 SSD's. I dont have to have them screwed in. One of them is currently secured with double sided tape lol

I've built into all except the corsair, and what I can say is that it really depends on you, but you can't go wrong with a Fractal, they are VERY high quality.

Phanteks cases are generally the same or worse quality, depending on the price range you're looking into. The Evolve is awesome, the P600 is not as awesome.

Lian Li are Lian Li: They are known for being amazing. But the Lancool is a budget case by them. Don't expect to be impressed by it.

NZXT Peaked with the S340 Elite. Every single case they've had since then has been worse and more expensive.

I personally went with a new Phantex Luxe 719 recently but my needs are not the same, and if I were in need of a good all-rounder I would have gone Fractal.

I’m not going crazy with the SSD’s. Just recycling the drives I already have, besides the optical :/ might get some 10tb drives and leave the 4tbs in

Anyway, I’m deciding between the Phanteks P600s, the Corsair 4000d airflow and the Lancool 2. I like the O11 but it’s wide form won’t go on my desk space unfortunately.

I'm leaning towards the Phanteks, but the other two are distracting me.

thanks for all the input so far. Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Cheapie lian li Lancool 215 accommodates a dh15 and a stupid long gpu.

We need to see more gpu directed airflow in case design.

I'm liking addressing air cooling concerns in affordable new cases.

I don't like spending more to house my cooler of choice.

Last edited:
Back