Tim Willits still thinks Rage is awesome, wants to make another one

Man, I just started playing Rage a week ago from a previous Steam sale. First thing is its really clunky. No way (that I have found) to skip the load screens, long load times with 64 bit + texture pack, when using the in-game menu (quests, weapons, etc) your escape key doesn't take you out of it, it takes you to the save/load screen. When you want to quit (and you will) the "quit game" button takes to another load screen that has an "enter" button that you hit, THEN you can exit to Windows. Completely clunky poorly thought out design.

Once you get into the game its on rails. When I say its on rails I mean you see a huge world and you can't jump onto a box. Or crawl over a broken down wall, or jump down from most places. Oh, the enemies can. They can crawl out of holes in the floor, jump down from catwalks, die in places you can't even access their corpses for looting, the AI enemies might be having more fun than me despite the fact they keep dying off in hordes.

Then you get to the textures... I waited before buying this because I read about how bad the textures were and that there were fixes and 'everything was fine now' said some, and 'no it isn't' said others but when Rage hit $6 dollars I jumped on it. The texture are a shit storm of nastiness. I downloaded Half Life 2 to compare how image quality is between the two games and I would take Half Life 2 ANY FREAKING day of the week. I have every setting maxed with two gtx 670's and although it runs fast enough, its horrible. If you have the game go look at one of the old couches in one of the broken down buildings. Just look at it. Somewhere, someone said "Yeah, that post-apocalyptic couch looks pretty badass! Time to go start working on the driving part of this game." If I was a game designer I would be embarrassed to admit I worked on this game. EVERY other game in this genre (in the last 6 years) I have played LOOKS better than Rage. I can't think of a single exception right now.

Lets get a little more upbeat though. The weapons are at least familiar. Pistol, AK variant, shotgun, crossbow, sniper rifle, submachine gun with scope, rocket launcher, maybe more if I actually kept playing this thing. There is nothing here at all original or inspired, and don't get me wrong. This is a good thing. Boring is a step up here.

And now we actually get to the part of the game that is kind of fun. The driving part. Its really the only thing that kept me playing as long as I have, but I can't help thinking as I drive over power-ups and drop bombs etc for my fellow racers that I should be saying "It's-a-me, Mario!" None of the hover drones are shaped like turtle shells though. Probably a design oversight.

This is one of those times that I kick myself for not listening to Kyle. I wasted 6 bucks and some of my time with this game, but it did have a good use. My son is wanting to get into game design (like most 16 year old kids). I let him play it and told him "Someone produced this, marketed it, and thinks its a great thing. Do not fall into the same trap." It was a great bonding moment. We did that fist bumping thing.

TL-DR: This game is really bad.

I can tell you're holding FPS games to RPG standards for some crazy reason. Your entire model is flawed.

If you say so. I disagree that Rage is the best fps since 2005, but hey if you enjoy it so be it. It was a 5 hour game on the hardest difficulty that I had to force myself to play through thinking it would get better.

Personally I found many other fps to be more engaging and of higher quality, yes some of those fps have RPG elements but that doesn't detract from their superior FPS qualities. I put a greater emphasis on details that Rage overlooked hence why I don't like the game.

If you say so. I disagree that Rage is the best fps since 2005, but hey if you enjoy it so be it. It was a 5 hour game on the hardest difficulty that I had to force myself to play through thinking it would get better.

Personally I found many other fps to be more engaging and of higher quality, yes some of those fps have RPG elements but that doesn't detract from their superior FPS qualities. I put a greater emphasis on details that Rage overlooked hence why I don't like the game.

I'll go even farther and say the introduction of RPG,open world non-linear gameplay renewed my fading interest in FPS games,and no game does it better than STALKER. Rage fails on so many counts it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in comparison. Even the Fallout games,while not up to STALKER standards,did a far better job presenting an immersive post apocalyptic world.

I found Rage mediocre to me. I classified as a poor man's Fallout. I got it for $10, if I paid $50-$60 I would have felt ripped off.

I enjoyed it until I ran up against sheer stupidity in this game design.
It ran descent on my HD5750 and flawless on a HD 7870 at 1080p.
What was the deal breaker for me was to make RACING mandatory to progress in the game. I'm NOT a racing game fan because you really need a IN CAR POV to keep the car out of the ditch. I was DUMBFOUNDED when I found there was no in car POV in the mandatory racing. Without it I find it impossible to control the car with mouse and KB and also with a game pad. It is like rolling a hot wheels car across the kitchen floor and "drive it" while standing next to the stove. BEYOND STUPID!!!
I can PLAY racing games and get around the track IF there is a in car POV. But I find it impossible without it. I have played Dirt, Dirt2, and cheezy games like FlatOut this way with a mouse/KB and game pad.
WHY, WHY, WHY?? The driving is for a pizza parlor arcade type game. Not an in depth action RPG.

Sorry ID. This totally ruined the game for me.

Uh... I think there's probably more wrong with your brain than the game design in this case.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I am enjoying RAGE. It's not ground-breaking, but for me it's just good fun with a little more depth and character than I was expecting from an id game.

I enjoyed Rage overall. The car combat was not really well implemented and the scripted enemy car arrivals was out of place in this era.

I didn't mind the story though and wouldn't mind seeing what happens with it.

Texture pop-in was, for me, the least of Rage's problems.

id's creative and game design people completely let Rage down. id needs to get rid of people like Willits and get in some new blood that aren't self-congratulatory fuckwits (e.g. "whenever you play an FPS, you can thank me"). In terms of gameplay, Rage would have been great if it came out 12-15 years ago...but it's proto-open world design really shows that id is very much frozen in time.

The sound effects for the guns are truly bad, too.

Last edited:
Uh... I think there's probably more wrong with your brain than the game design in this case.

Negative. I would give Rage a OK if for 1 issue. IF the mandatory racing had a in car POV.
What that I can feel like I'm really driving instead of controlling a toy remote control car.
For those that liked the hot wheels type racing; great. It totally turned me off.

Back