Tim Willits still thinks Rage is awesome, wants to make another one

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
Source article here.

"I'm proud of what we did, I'm proud of the universe that we built. The franchise is not dead," Willits said. "We're not doing anything immediately with it, but when I designed the universe, I designed it in such a way that it would be easy to step back into. I'm still proud that we did something that was different – it wasn't like the games that we've done in the past."

Also, Rage was a beta for idtech5:

Willits also said that Rage's development fueled innovations in id Tech 5 that continue to pay off as the engine is adapted for use on next-gen consoles and in other Bethesda products.

"We really tried to do one engine that worked for everything," he said. "It really helps establish a robust tech that, as John [Carmack] said last night, we're adding stuff into it based on the new consoles, and it's allowed people to make different games because the technology is flexible and robust and works on everything."

Yes...I have my extra-cynical pants on today. Also, Willits sucks.

Mediocrity generally is satisfied with mediocrity. Hence, why Tim is satisfied with their work. This does not change the fact that Rage sucks in every conceivable way. From story telling, to gameplay, to the ending the game sucks and falls on its face as a shooter.

oh come now, RAGE sets the standard for texture pop...best in class

I think you guys are being too harsh on the game. I personally enjoyed Rage a lot and find it to be unique as an experience and well done apart from some hicks ups here and there. Id don't make ground breaking games and they won't do so anytime soon. Though their games are far from bad and are within the fun boundary.

id hasn't made a ground breaking game since Quake III. Even then it wasn't as revolutionary as Doom or Quake were. At least not technologically speaking. Doom III was pretty graphically but wasn't anything special in the gameplay department. Rage's gameplay was that of older Bethesda titles and games like STALKER. It just wasn't pulled off nearly as well as those games were.

Rage was a tech demo for idTech5...nothing wrong with that...the game was good as well...had the basic framework down but needed more polish in some of the details...the racing aspect did not blend seamlessly with the rest of the game...almost felt like a standalone...lots of good ideas that other games ended up doing better but overall a good effort

people expect groundbreaking games every time out but engines and ideas need time to grow

Oh yeah with a shitty cliffhanger ending like that ofc they want make more :(

Willits must go to the same store to buy that amazing kool-aid that Cliffy B drinks. :rolleyes:

Love the whole oh Rage was a great game buuuut they reused old concepts that other games did much better schitck.

While I understand that different people enjoy different games Rage did nothing better or brought anything to the genre. It was worse in every way to any preceding game before it. Id only released Rage as a tech demo but tried charging $50 for it. If it was releases at $5 I don't think there would have been as much hate for the game but it lacked everything that makes a shooter good. It had no story, gunplay was uninspired, the ending was the worst letdown in gaming history imo, and the graphics were nothing special even after fixing them.

Daikatana was better than Rage.

I think you guys are being too harsh on the game. I personally enjoyed Rage a lot and find it to be unique as an experience and well done apart from some hicks ups here and there. Id don't make ground breaking games and they won't do so anytime soon. Though their games are far from bad and are within the fun boundary.

I enjoyed it until I ran up against sheer stupidity in this game design.
It ran descent on my HD5750 and flawless on a HD 7870 at 1080p.
What was the deal breaker for me was to make RACING mandatory to progress in the game. I'm NOT a racing game fan because you really need a IN CAR POV to keep the car out of the ditch. I was DUMBFOUNDED when I found there was no in car POV in the mandatory racing. Without it I find it impossible to control the car with mouse and KB and also with a game pad. It is like rolling a hot wheels car across the kitchen floor and "drive it" while standing next to the stove. BEYOND STUPID!!!
I can PLAY racing games and get around the track IF there is a in car POV. But I find it impossible without it. I have played Dirt, Dirt2, and cheezy games like FlatOut this way with a mouse/KB and game pad.
WHY, WHY, WHY?? The driving is for a pizza parlor arcade type game. Not an in depth action RPG.

Sorry ID. This totally ruined the game for me.

I don't like Tim Willits much, even though he is a good designer. The guy is an ahole but he did some of the best Quake 1/2/3 maps without playtesting. He actually didn't care how they played lol

RAGE was the best shooter released since 2005 (F.E.A.R.) and I enjoyed the game a lot. Graphics are nice, despite the huge amounts of texture compression and that nasty 60 FPS cap :(

The gameplay was your typical id Software goodness. The only major flow was all these invisible walls. Man, I hate those. Everything else is top notch.

You start the game and you're given a gun a simple mission (kill everyone) in the first 5 minutes. I like that in a shooter.

Edit: one more thing. This is virtually the only AAA game since 2004 that is not actively preventing you from moving around freely - strafe jumps, circle jumps, ramp jumps. How nice of id to keep all those. Noobs gonna hate and keep to their interactive movies, though.

Last edited:
I don't see why they wouldn't make another. If they fix the few mistakes they made in the first, a second could be pretty good.

In terms of the actual design, I think Willits did a passable job. He didn't do a particularly good job, but the gameplay actually holds up pretty well. I can't look at Rage's major faults and say "those are gameplay-related".

I get the impression, though, that he's one of those "piracy is killing gaming" sorts. I always hate seeing that kind of mentality from people in the industry.

WHY, WHY, WHY?? The driving is for a pizza parlor arcade type game. Not an in depth action RPG.
Rage isn't an action RPG.

RAGE was the best shooter released since 2005 (F.E.A.R.)

Stalker, Metro LL, Hard reset, far cry 2 & 3, bf3, bo1&2, warhammer, transformers 1&2, dishonored, bioshock 1, 2,& 3, and the list can go on and on on shooters that were and are better than Rage. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with your opinion that Rage is the best shooter since 2005.

Edit: one more thing. This is virtually the only AAA game since 2004 that is not actively preventing you from moving around freely - strafe jumps, circle jumps, ramp jumps. How nice of id to keep all those. Noobs gonna hate and keep to their interactive movies, though.
Invisible walls disagree with you on moving around freely.

Perhaps Im in the minority here, but I had fun playing it. The gameplay was fine, the racing was ok. The story would have been fine if it had had some sort of a climax and conclusion, that ending was just shit.

I didn't notice that much texture pop on an 8800GTX x2 setup, but SSDs in RAID 0 might have helped mitigate the problem. What I did have a problem with texture wise was some of the horrid inconsistencies in textures. Sometimes it felt like 2k textures on people standing next to 64x64 textures stretched over a large pipe or machine. Very jarring. Perhaps it was my limited vram?

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. Otherwise I was hooked the entire playthrough. I ran the game off an SSD with Nvidia GPU (for the enhanced decompression) and had virtually zero pop in so it was an non-issue to me. I thought the weapons, gameplay, and ememies were all well done.

Stalker, Metro LL, Hard reset, far cry 2 & 3, bf3, bo1&2, warhammer, transformers 1&2, dishonored, bioshock 1, 2,& 3, and the list can go on and on on shooters that were and are better than Rage. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with your opinion that Rage is the best shooter since 2005.

ok, I can argue with you.

STALKER - great atmosphere, though clunky as shit. Unplayable. Bought them to support the dev. Without regret for my purchases.

Same applies to Metro. Hard Reset is fun but very limited. You can't chain jumps. What were they thinking? Far Cry is lame shit. My wife is going to like it, I guess. Dishonored is not an FPS, neither are the BS games. Natural pun there, no? BF is not my cup of tea.

Not familiar with bo and transformers. Are they both shooters?

Invisible walls disagree with you on moving around freely.

Invisible walls prevent exploration, not free movement per se. Using ramp jumps I managed to get on top of that ship in the middle of the wasteland in RAGE.

Movement in RAGE is very Quake like but level design isn't following. It is ironic that the most beautiful level is the epitome of ghost rocks and bridges. Yes, you can do crazy jumps hoping to reach that crazy guy and shoot him only to fall through everything.

I just recorded some gameplay for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOVpmycQXg

Dishonored is not an FPS, neither are the BS games.
Dishonored's a first-person sneaker where you can shoot people with...guns. And where you don't have to sneak at all.

Okay, so it's an FPS/S.

Holy shit was the first one not enough? Rage was the worst POS game that I played since Prey.

33esyhd.jpg

:D

ok, I can argue with you.

STALKER - great atmosphere, though clunky as shit. Unplayable. Bought them to support the dev. Without regret for my purchases.

Stalker played just fine without mods.

Same applies to Metro. Hard Reset is fun but very limited.

I beat Rage in just under 5 hours of gameplay on the hardest setting, that is limited.

Movement in RAGE is very Quake like but level design isn't following.

Level design in Rage sucks. It is one of the most frustrating things about the game. I could care less how great the game looks, which it looked like crap ( I haven't played it since I beat it), if the level design sucks. Rage is like being stuck on a roller coaster and you can only bounce around in the cart until the end of the ride.

I just recorded some gameplay for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOVpmycQXg

Yea for bad coding? Not sure what your trying to show other than a buggy pos game which you didn't have to record it for me to know that. Rage is one of, if not the worst, game ever made. That isn't hyperbole, the story sucks, the characters suck, the driving sucked, the AI was downright atrocious, and the ending was the worst of pretty much any game made in the last two decades. The guns were pretty tight, and the atmosphere was ok but those are the only pros I can give the game.

I played Rage through to completion.
I personally think that Rage has caused a lot more 'rage' than it really deserved.
It certainly isn't the worst game I've ever played by a large margin. It's obviously not the best either, but I'd give it a solid 70-75%.

The concepts in the game weren't particularly new. Destroyed world, mutants, 1 man army, save the world, etc. But the game play mechanics were fun. The weapons felt usable throughout the game (without some ridiculous monster ramp up), the weapons were fun (I'm sure we all had our favorites), and the enemies came from all sides in a less predictable manner than most shooters I've played (even if their movement was scripted).

Of course the game lacked subtlety and was ham fisted in its exposition. It was unfortunate that the most interesting characters were worked in for a very short period of time. And it seems that basically everyone in the various sections of the game were in fact replaceable.
The racing wasn't so great either, but thankfully was not a large part of the game. The overworld driving experience I felt was fine for the most part.

At least the environments were pretty and unique. The enemies numerous, hideous, and different. The types of guns plentiful, and the shooting/death dealing satisfying. That's probably more than I can say for most games.

Tim Willits is high.. and wrong.

Go a head and make another failure. I won't be foolish enough to buy it a second time.

people have an irrational hatred of RAGE...I wonder if anyone but id Software made the game if it still would illicit such a strong negative response...expectations are what brought the game down in people's minds...plus the game is regularly on sale for under $10 so I can't imagine anyone hating the game at that price

I played it on nVIDIA hardware 6 months after release and was kind of fun.
I will believe in Rage 2 when I will see it.

people have an irrational hatred of RAGE...I wonder if anyone but id Software made the game if it still would illicit such a strong negative response...expectations are what brought the game down in people's minds...plus the game is regularly on sale for under $10 so I can't imagine anyone hating the game at that price

Expectations had nothing to do with a crappy story, uninspired level design, buggy graphics, and the worst ending in gaming history. If anyone produced this it would suffer from the same criticisms.

Mediocrity is mediocrity regardless of who makes it.

Just think... if they spend 14 years developing it, it could be twice as good as Rage!

id hasn't made a ground breaking game since Quake III. Even then it wasn't as revolutionary as Doom or Quake were. At least not technologically speaking. Doom III was pretty graphically but wasn't anything special in the gameplay department. Rage's gameplay was that of older Bethesda titles and games like STALKER. It just wasn't pulled off nearly as well as those games were.

Or what I might more extend that to is that they haven't made a good engine since iDTech 3, which is what Quake 3 used. I understand that not every game can be the best thing EVAR, but starting with iDTech 4 (Doom 3) they got more concerned with trying to do nifty shit with their engine than making it solid. While the Realtime lighting was neat in Doom 3, it didn't actually work very well in a game because, lacking radiosity or other global illumination technology, it was way too dark. For all that the engine wasn't very good with high rez textures or large areas and whatnot and Unreal Engine generally bet it out pretty badly.

iDTech 5 was supposed to be some amazing new tech... and it wasn't. All this hype about "megatexture" and yet we see other engines that can get better detail, and not require server class hardware just to build a map.

I think they need to worry less about what they think is neat in terms of technology and more what looks good on the screen. I have to give DICE big props in terms of Frostbite 2 for making an engine that really can do good visuals, on quite a variety of hardware, and do them for all kinds of scenarios.

Gameplay wise I never felt iD was all that, however their engines were always really cool, setting a standard and getting licensed for many games. Now their engines are real "meh" and that makes the games look all the more meh.

gave up on ID after the last Doom game and those ridiculous monster lockers.

Obviously they aren't relevant or people would know the difference between id and EYE DEE by now.

Obviously they aren't relevant or people would know the difference between id and EYE DEE by now.

Late 90s & early 00s had people up in arms if you said ID instead of id. Now, most don't know the difference. :eek:

If anyone else made a game that had pop in textures as bad as Rage I would talk smack about it too. I don't want to insinuate that the developers are terrible people because they released a dud. They have released plenty of good games over the years, but this is one of the most over hyped dirt clods of all time.

Now will their next game be like Rage or will it be less constrictive and use a better engine? That's the $60 question and Willits seems to think that the last game was good enough. If he thinks that Rage was great, then I feel sorry for the new game's development team as they certainly will get laid off from lack of sales.

I know I'm going to watch another person play it on Twitch and see what feedback they give before I plunk down a single penny. That and other venues should be what gamers use nowadays to avoid bad games.

If anyone else made a game that had pop in textures as bad as Rage I would talk smack about it too. I don't want to insinuate that the developers are terrible people because they released a dud. They have released plenty of good games over the years, but this is one of the most over hyped dirt clods of all time.

Now will their next game be like Rage or will it be less constrictive and use a better engine? That's the $60 question and Willits seems to think that the last game was good enough. If he thinks that Rage was great, then I feel sorry for the new game's development team as they certainly will get laid off from lack of sales.

I know I'm going to watch another person play it on Twitch and see what feedback they give before I plunk down a single penny. That and other venues should be what gamers use nowadays to avoid bad games.

the texture pop was fixed...it's a non-issue now (or 99% fixed)...I'm talking about the game in its present state...seems people don't want to move on and forums are the perfect place for people to hold onto their opinions so they can justify their bashing...most forum members love to hate (even if they don't believe what they are saying) as they feel conflict drives forum threads...a thread titled 'Rage sucks' will get way more hits then a thread titled 'Rage is amazing'...the game is not a dud...it's a decent game with some really nice graphics...for $10 the game is a steal...not every game will be Morrowind or Half Life...there are games which are enjoyable but aren't going to be GOTY

people keep talking about the game like its still $60 and has the same texture pop-in issues...or people still obsess about the admitedly terrible ending...but most game endings suck...that's a fact...to single out RAGE is just another excuse for people to bash the game

Last edited:
the texture pop was fixed...it's a non-issue now (or 99% fixed)...I'm talking about the game in its present state...seems people don't want to move on and forums are the perfect place for people to hold onto their opinions so they can justify their bashing...most forum members love to hate (even if they don't believe what they are saying) as they feel conflict drives forum threads...a thread titled 'Rage sucks' will get way more hits then a thread titled 'Rage is amazing'...the game is not a dud...it's a decent game with some really nice graphics...for $10 the game is a steal...not every game will be Morrowind or Half Life...there are games which are enjoyable but aren't going to be GOTY

people keep talking about the game like its still $60 and has the same texture pop-in issues...or people still obsess about the admitedly terrible ending...but most game endings suck...that's a fact...to single out RAGE is just another excuse for people to bash the game

QFT. It's so-so now that it's been fixed, but not great. But you know what they say about first impressions... :/

Back