Tim Cook Worried About Apple Devices Used for ‘Endless Scrolling’

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie

Tim Cook Worried About Apple Devices Used for ‘Endless Scrolling’ – Wants People to Use Them for Creativity​

https://wccftech.com/tim-cook-worried-about-people-using-apple-devices-for-endless-scrolling/

Interesting topic, not iPhone specific, but smartphone use in general.

I drove by a high school the other day, while picking up my kids, and was very interesting seeing these kids walking out at the end of the day, and no joke, I noticed 90% of them had their heads bowed down staring at their phones. Some of them literally almost walking into the street not watching for cars. They looked like possessed zombies. Or driving in downtown Chicago, same situation, professional adults walking down the crowded sidewalk, and like 75% of them all walking while staring at their phones like in some trance.

Like in most of life, there's a balance to be struck.

We really need to back away from constant phone use. Admittedly it's harder to socialize these days with the pandemic as a factor, but... learn to appreciate the world around you! If just enough that you don't walk into a lamp post.

At the same time, I don't want to be a curmudgeon. Tech is useful, tech is great, it's arguably what kept many of us sane for the past year and a half. And you'll need to be technically literate as a child these days. Tim Cook might have the right idea: tech is great for creation and learning, but we should be careful about getting sucked into never-ending social feeds.

I feel a lot of young adults are going to have spinal/neck problems from their heads pointed down for so long. :-(

Tim Cook Worried About Apple Devices Used for ‘Endless Scrolling’ – Wants People to Use Them for Creativity​

https://wccftech.com/tim-cook-worried-about-people-using-apple-devices-for-endless-scrolling/

Interesting topic, not iPhone specific, but smartphone use in general.

I drove by a high school the other day, while picking up my kids, and was very interesting seeing these kids walking out at the end of the day, and no joke, I noticed 90% of them had their heads bowed down staring at their phones. Some of them literally almost walking into the street not watching for cars. They looked like possessed zombies. Or driving in downtown Chicago, same situation, professional adults walking down the crowded sidewalk, and like 75% of them all walking while staring at their phones like in some trance.

Yeah, these damn kids these days with their smartphones. Why, not like the good ol' days, back when people would socialize with each other, instead of burying their head in endless streams of ad-supported content...

197o1okyuiv27jpg.jpg

Yeah, these damn kids these days with their smartphones. Why, not like the good ol' days, back when people would socialize with each other, instead of burying their head in endless streams of ad-supported content...
I mean, I've seen this tongue-in-cheek point made before though tbf the difference is the internet combined with smartphone apps are more potent attention-absorbers both unintentionally and intentionally, even if many users avoid the worst pitfalls. This has led to a slow normalizing of non-beneficial things like being more distracted around traffic and while driving, not paying attention to others even in settings where it's expected, addictive behavior.

It's a double-edged sword that has obviously also brought a lot of positive things but still.

View attachment 406968
The difference here is that everyone largely read the same thing.

The problem with this same habit and phones is that everyone is reading content that is specifically tailored to their worldview, and they see nothing else.

Big difference.

Video would be more interesting, because if they all reading about today news close to each other, maybe they did interact quite a bit. And that a long travel type of scenario, not a short walk-elevator-short bus ride, a large percentage of kids during a bus ride did talk a lot to each others in the past.

Back