Tim Cook Says He Wouldn't be in Facebook's Situation

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Tim Cook says he wouldn't be in the same situation as Facebook because they don't do business the same way. Of course it's easy to differentiate yourself from a information company since you only sell hardware. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple sells our information and just hasn't been caught yet. Check out part of the interview in the video. Thanks cageymaru.

Watch the video here.

Man the corporate atmosphere right now is just brutal. Every time someone screws up its a dog pile on who got in trouble......yikes!

i like it when he is saying.. should we raise the bar.. when talking about security.. and his face is all like.. i dont know!!

um.. yes. without a doubt.. raise the damn bar of security and get it off the damn ground please.

any and all companies are collecting data on their users / customers this happens everywhere most are very subtle in how they do it

" I wouldn't be in that situation"..........because I've already BEEN in that situation.

We never, ever, ever look at your data or watch what you buy in our store.......Oh, yeah.......how's that iPhone 7 running?

Get off my lawn and take Zukerburg with you.

Meh. Cook's a talking head just like the rest of them. He'll say whatever he has to - and wrap it in the sentiment of the day - to keep the money rolling in. Media-whoring over Zuckerberg's downed body. Classy.

^
im-not-gay-but-20-bucks-is-20-bucks.jpg

The difference between Google and Facebook and Apple is that the main revenue stream for both Google and Facebook is quite literally the sale of your data. That's the whole damn point of them being in business!!! Anyone who denies that very fact of their business plan is either blind or just plain stupid. Hell, there's a joke in the intelligence community that states that the United States NSA wishes they had the data collection capabilities of both Google and Facebook.

When it comes to Google, Android is very much a Trojan horse; it is quite literally their data collection platform. Make no mistake about this very truth. What better way to spy on and collect data that you can then turn around and sell than an operating system built from the ground up to do just that! This is very much the reality of Android, plain and simple.

The difference is that Apple has other various forms of revenue that is far more lucrative than selling your data. Things like the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Music, Ear Pods, iCloud, etc. All of which makes Apple a metric ton of cash.

in all fairness they don't have as many users so of course not. That is just silly

The difference between Google and Facebook and Apple is that the main revenue stream for both Google and Facebook is quite literally the sale of your data. That's the whole damn point of them being in business!!! Anyone who denies that very fact of their business plan is either blind or just plain stupid. Hell, there's a joke in the intelligence community that states that the United States NSA wishes they had the data collection capabilities of both Google and Facebook.

When it comes to Google, Android is very much a Trojan horse; it is quite literally their data collection platform. Make no mistake about this very truth. What better way to spy on and collect data that you can then turn around and sell than an operating system built from the ground up to do just that! This is very much the reality of Android, plain and simple.

The difference is that Apple has other various forms of revenue that is far more lucrative than selling your data. Things like the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Music, Ear Pods, iCloud, etc. All of which makes Apple a metric ton of cash.

but when you can do that AND sell the data. Hot damn. You really can make money

Tim Cook says he wouldn't be in the same situation as Facebook because they don't do business the same way. Of course it's easy to differentiate yourself from a information company since you only sell hardware. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple sells our information and just hasn't been caught yet. Check out part of the interview in the video. Thanks cageymaru.

Watch the video here.
It'd surprise me. I'm not Jobs fanboy, but he was very big on protecting peoples privacy and I suspect that's still going on at Apple. It may not go on forever, but Cook is essentially carrying Job's torch. The CEO that follows cook may choose otherwise. Time will tell.

any and all companies are collecting data on their users / customers this happens everywhere most are very subtle in how they do it
Every phone service provider does it, every ISP now does it. Every website you visit does it. Your email does it.

Even your dog does it.

But not the cat. It's too busy plotting your death to be bothered with minor details like selling you out.

Yes, but if you think Apple isn't selling your data too, I've got a nice golden tower to sell you.

Yes, but if you think Apple isn't selling your data too, I've got a nice golden tower to sell you.
I certainly trust both Apple and Microsoft far more than Google and Facebook. Both Apple and Microsoft actually sell a product including services for actual money paid by the customer, Google and Facebook don't; they get all of their money from the data that they sell. My phone is an iPhone and my computer is running Windows 10.

"Outdated" computers that will run far longer than their Microsoft brethren.
Not sure what you mean. I used Celeron e4300 (I think that's what it was) for 10 years. Sure much of that was as a file server, but it was dirt cheap and the computer that followed it (i7-860) was used for 5 years and the only reason it became the file server was because I felt like building a new machine. Now that file server is being dropped (bought a NAS) and my dad will likely use it (as a windows box) until the motherboard gives out. And the machine it's replace is 11 years old (and the main reason for replacing it is a MB issue, though no doubt the i7860 will be much faster, since it's 4 cores vs 2)

Back