Tim Cook Responds to Claims of Factory Worker Mistreatment

Same with the customers that by the products."They don't care. Why would they?" Goes to show Apple consumers are closer to the Chinese way of thinking and how they don't place much value on human lives as long as they get their fill of new toys to play with.
Ram Kingston 16 gigs
vid card ATI 6970
Monitor Samsung PN51D550 51IN Plasma 1080p 3D

Really...Seriously... You are going to attempt to attack Apple consumers now? I copied your sig as I expect every bit of that to be in the trash...

You are a perfect example of a apple hating hypocrite.

Open up your pc or laptop and you will see this is not apple's problem by foxconns. Apple is getting the blame here but what about the other companies that use them? Oh wait, its cool to hate on anything apple.

No, but Apple's popular and getting the most out of it by selling their products as accessories rather than hardware. It's become a fashion statement.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ding-employees-into-dust-then-blowing-them-up

It's something that's rampant across the entire tech industry but Apple's become the poster boy.

If MSI or Asus or Sennheiser were as big as Apple and making the $ that Apple is they would be under just as much scrutiny.

We're addicted to cheap products and for the most part don't care where it comes from. But us folk are a bit different. If motherboards were made here in the US and offered better support I can almost guarantee you there would be a whole lot of us willing to pay the price premium. The issue isn't the price, it's about how much profit you can squeeze from it and in that way Apple is deceitful

Keep on [H]ating (and trolling apparently). Obviously it is 100% Apples fault the trouble at Foxconn. Foxconn or China has no responsibility here at all. I think you should immediately stop using your computer, TV, and obviously Andriod phone... because all of those used slave labor as well, but of course, lets look past that so we can get our bashing on. You are all a bunch of whiney hypocrits.

Let's not forget an important point you overlook, Apple, and it's fanatics paint is as being a "better" company then all the rest so it's ironic that when they get caught up in something like this your defense of them is "Well everyone else does it too!"

You're right, Apple could change suppliers. That was one of the points of the article, they don't. Also, they put pressure on Foxconn to meet deadlines and expectations that promote the unsafe conditions and behaviours. It's joint cuplability.

I guess you can lay the blame 100% on customers too who buy Apple, Dell, HP and other products manufactured by Foxconn knowing that there are suicides and mistreated employees there.

brb while I go hand my head in shame.

:rolleyes:

Foxconn must take care of Foxconn. The Chinese government needs to enforce their labor laws just as we do.

Same with the customers that by the products."They don't care. Why would they?" Goes to show Apple consumers are closer to the Chinese way of thinking and how they don't place much value on human lives as long as they get their fill of new toys to play with.

How is that computer you are posting on Uncle? Were you aware that components inside of it came from slave labor in China? I don't care if you call our Apple for bad practices, I am fine with that; but if you don't call out anyone else as well, then you have some serious blinders on there.

And to the argument made above that we should only call out Apple because it is the biggest offender, well, revolutions start small, and work their way up to imposing change to the masses. I suggest you aim your light at the "smaller" companies like Intel, ASUS, auto manufactures, etc.

So, suck it up. Apple is going to get bad press for this sort of thing. It gets massive amounts of good press as well so it all balances out in the end. Unless you just don't like hearing anything bad about Apple in which case ... you're on your own.

I must have missed the good press on this site :rolleyes:

Nice, except that the most recent incident where there was a worker revolt was a factory manufacturing Microsoft Xboxes. The NYT article was very good, and it's a real issue, but people acting like Apple is unique in the situation is patently ridiculous. Every single large consumer products company uses Foxconn or some similar type of manufacturer. Pick up any item within 2 feet of yourself and it's probably made in a similar factory. You bought it, so how is your responsibility for the problem any different than the company who contracted with the manufacturer?

I must have missed the good press on this site :rolleyes:

Take the blinders off, it is easy to find...use the search function. :rolleyes:

*Edit* A search of the last few weeks pulled up:

Apple’s Jonathan Ive is Knighted
Apple Introduces Plans for iBook Textbooks
Quad-Core iPad 3 Slated for March?
Mini Apple Stores Could be Headed to Target
Nielsen’s Tops of 2011: Digital
Apple Customers Warned of Phishing Attack
The New Apple Santa Commercial Is Impressive
Apple Going to Israel?
Made in Texas: Apple's A5 iPhone Chip
Company Builds 7ft Bronze Steve Jobs Statue
Judge's Sloppy PDF Skills Leaked Apple Secrets
Apple Confirms No Further Support for Carrier IQ

We have no control over the fact that a lot of Apple news is negative but to say we don't post positive news is just :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not just Apple. Corporations care about the bottomline and that is it. Hell, some would probably care less if this was happening stateside.

Remember those old factories here in the states where employees were locked in? Those existed for a reason .. greed.

Everyone on here

Time to stop listening to you right there... Obviously you are using impeccable facts when you claim Everyone...

Really...Seriously... You are going to attempt to attack Apple consumers now? I copied your sig as I expect every bit of that to be in the trash...

You are a perfect example of a apple hating hypocrite.

As opposed to an Apple can do no wrong apologetic fanboi? Because, since everyone else in the industry is doing it, it makes it okay for a company like Apple to be completely hippocritical right?

How is that computer you are posting on Uncle? Were you aware that components inside of it came from slave labor in China? I don't care if you call our Apple for bad practices, I am fine with that; but if you don't call out anyone else as well, then you have some serious blinders on there.

So reporters must call out every single person guilty of a crime in order to draw attention to it.... What kind of blinders are you wearing? Next you are going to tell me that the police have to round up every offender of a crime before prosecuting any of them. What kind of flawed logic are you using here?

No one is saying that there aren't other companies guilty as well. But Apple has been the most vocal in their obvious hippocracy. Wake up and smell reality.

Really do you guys understand how silly your apologetic attitude toward Apple is right now? Especially in relation to an article that is pointing out the continuous problem with hippocracy? It would be one thing if Apple said it once, or twice, or if conditions improved as a result of their "actions" the last few times they said they were going to make changes. But the fact is, things only get worse and Apple keeps making ridiculously hippocritical PR claims. That is why they are being singled out. Not becuase they are the only company, but because they are the most hippocritical in the spotlight.

Paraphrase: If you hate on apple you also have to hate the other companies using similar practices.

The blame lies with greed.

If Company1 and Company2 are selling similar products at the same price and Company1 then starts outsourcing to slave-like labor reducing the cost to manufacturer products. Company2 now has few options: do as Company1 has and employ slave-like labor, expose Company1's practices to prevent them, or fail.

Company1 and 2 have now adopted these practices and consumers now expect the price for the product to be at this new norm. A new company, Company3 has little choice in the matter, they join in slave-like labor practices or expose Company1/2.

This has perpetuated throughout history, sociopaths can earn lots of money through the abuse of others.

Personal gain, greed, is the problem.

Why does apple get so much flak? They have the money to make a difference, when you have $100,000,000,000 dollars sitting in the bank while simultaneously continuing to making more money off of slave-like labor you are going to draw some attention.

The only way to fix it at this point is by rules and regulations, why haven't we done this? Lobbyists.

TL;DR - Poor people have shitty lobbyists.
-Jon Stewart

Why doesn't bring those jobs back to the states...??

oh right, its ridiculous to think Apple would do anything that doesn't make 55% profit on their products...greed is awesome.

There's nothing wrong noob.

Okay then explain the sentence and how it is supposedly grammatically correct? I am just pointing out the flaw in 1) correcting spelling on a forum, and 2) doing it while not checking your own grammar and sentence structure. It is a bit ridiculous. But thanks for calling me a noob for pointing out the obvious flaw inherent to the post.

Open up your pc or laptop and you will see this is not apple's problem by foxconns. Apple is getting the blame here but what about the other companies that use them? Oh wait, its cool to hate on anything apple.

I don't think any of you are getting the idea...

The ARTICLE IS FOCUSING ON APPLE. Yes it does mention other tech companies that are involved, who are just as guilty as Apple.

AGAIN THIS ARTICLE IS FOCUSING ON APPLE. Do I need to repeat myself? Is it difficult to understand this? Nobody is putting Apple 100% of the blame.

But can Apple do something about it, and set an example that we won't tolerate this, and then other companies jump bandwagon? Yes, they have a lot of control on this, as they are one of the larger customers that use Foxconn to produce their products. Their influence is substantial.

READ THE DAMN ARTICLE people. I posted the original article link, which this is refuting about in the link Steve posted.

In addition to the Spelling Nazi(s). WHO ELSE CARES! You're trying to argue on a tangent that is unrelated to the original topic at hand.

Congrats, you have accomplished nothing.

Okay then explain the sentence and how it is supposedly grammatically correct? I am just pointing out the flaw in 1) correcting spelling on a forum, and 2) doing it while not checking your own grammar and sentence structure. It is a bit ridiculous. But thanks for calling me a noob for pointing out the obvious flaw inherent to the post.
If only there were an off-topic forum where we could make fun of you for not understanding when someone is referring to you as "hypocrisy" in perfect grammar.

He is apologizing to the word hypocrisy as a noun. There is nothing wrong with that sentence.

Ultimately, while it is true that many companies do source labour to FoxConn and the like, where workers endure harsh and unreasonable working conditions, the majority of the press and public WILL focus on Apple because Apple has done all it can to constantly grab the limelight.

For years, Steve and the other corporate staff of Apple have done everything they can to advertise Apple. They have aggressively pushed marketing, viral, and word of mouth campaigns. They have done everything they can to make Apple a household name, at whatever the cost.

Well, they got what they wished for, and everything was great. They had the biggest share of the smartphone and mp3 market of any company in the world, and iTunes was THE music player/buying source of the internet.

But there's always a flip side. And that flipside is, now if ANYTHING goes wrong with their process, the entire world is going to weigh in on it. We don't care if some small shitty company sources it's work to child labor in Cambodia, because we don't buy from that small shitty company. But a lot of Americans DO buy from Apple, and as such they expect some standards.

We understand Apple did not directly mis-treat their coworkers. We don't expect them to be able to force China or FoxConn to change their operations. What we DO expect though, is that once Apple learns of these working conditions, they DO SOMETHING. Switch manufacturers. Pay FoxConn more on the condition that the workers get benefits/higher pay. Threaten to cut off FoxConn if they don't change. Apple charges between $500 and $800 for their electronic devices. Out of this, only maybe $60-80 actually goes to FoxConn and their employees. I think Apple can afford to cut their profit margins a bit more to ensure fair treatment of employees at companies working for them.

I'm not a biased Mac hater or Android lover. I simply go for whatever technology proves to be best and strongest. In 2002, Motorola had the best and sturdiest phones, so I went with them. But after the Razr, they became crappy, so I went with Nokia, and when they started sucking, I went Samsung.

I used to buy Ipods during the original, mini, and nano generations. Back then they were undeniably the best and most intuitive mp3 players. But then other companies started innovating, while Apple just kept pushing the same product in a new wrapper, while jacking up prices and decreasing quality. My last 3 iPod Nano/Minis all broke within 6-8 months, which was unacceptable to me. I switched to a Samsung MP3 player, which lasted me 2 and a half years, before I got my current Android phone. My old MP3 player still works, I just don't use it anymore.

The bottom line is, Apple wants to have a spotless public image without putting in the work required to do so, and I have a huge problem with that.

Sounds like typical BS upper management crap I would normally hear when I was at Fry's, your about as valued as the sheep that buy the product, and just as easily replaced like one customer leaving another one will take it's place. I doubt the members of staff besides supervisors and upper management at the plants even have email accounts.

We are focused on educating workers about their rights, so they are empowered to speak up when they see unsafe conditions or unfair treatment. As you know, more than a million people have been trained by our program.

Ha!!!...Not bloody likely, they tried killing themselves a week or two ago over pay and conditions.

At the same time, no one has been more up front about the challenges we face. We are attacking problems aggressively with the help of the world’s foremost authorities on safety, the environment, and fair labor. It would be easy to look for problems in fewer places and report prettier results, but those would not be the actions of a leader.

I give them credit for trying to deal with the problems, but trying to tell china to sort out it's problems at Foxconn, is like telling a meth addict to just stop smoking drain-o...It doesn't work.

Now his thread delivers some great LOLZ.

rating_5.gif

Steve, great job on stirring up the hornets nest. You sir are my [H]ero :D.

I still would have bought my iPhone even if fifty Chinese babies died making it.

I think what people are angry about is that they feel Apple DOES have the ability to do something, to make a change, even if it's just by making sure Foxconn knows how much heat is coming down on them over this bullshit at the factories, and threatening to go to another manufacturer if they can't work something out. If they are in fact Foxconn's largest customer, then I'm certain Foxconn wouldn't want to take that kind of a loss, nor would they want that kind of press on their hands as a result. China sure as hell would not want that much business lost to another country that's willing to play by Apple's rules. So if that's the case, why wouldn't Apple make such a move? It's not FOXCONN that's getting pressure from the media about this. It's APPLE. THEIR image, their brand, their status is on the line. Foxconn could care less, because nobody cares who made the shiny thing that cost them ridiculous money, as long as a certain brand logo is on it.

I think that about sums it up.

I can't believe the bastard actually have the guts to say that. Oh wait.

" i want my iiiiiiii-everything & i want it now " The fat stupid lazy union workers in america cant make your iiiiiiii-stuff fast enough so it's made by industrious chinese workers. So everything is fine & theres nothing to see here, so just move along & we'll keep your iiiiiii-stuff coming. Remember to visit our apple stores thank-you.

I think what people are angry about is that they feel Apple DOES have the ability to do something, to make a change, even if it's just by making sure Foxconn knows how much heat is coming down on them over this bullshit at the factories, and threatening to go to another manufacturer if they can't work something out. If they are in fact Foxconn's largest customer, then I'm certain Foxconn wouldn't want to take that kind of a loss, nor would they want that kind of press on their hands as a result. China sure as hell would not want that much business lost to another country that's willing to play by Apple's rules. So if that's the case, why wouldn't Apple make such a move? It's not FOXCONN that's getting pressure from the media about this. It's APPLE. THEIR image, their brand, their status is on the line. Foxconn could care less, because nobody cares who made the shiny thing that cost them ridiculous money, as long as a certain brand logo is on it.

I think that about sums it up.

It's not Apples job to save the Foxconn employee's -- it's Foxconns.

I bet you most of the people who are so upset about the "poor treatment" of the Foxconn employee's are the same people who are against any sort of health care reform.

" i want my iiiiiiii-everything & i want it now " The fat stupid lazy union workers in america cant make your iiiiiiii-stuff fast enough so it's made by industrious chinese workers. So everything is fine & theres nothing to see here, so just move along & we'll keep your iiiiiii-stuff coming. Remember to visit our apple stores thank-you.

Everything you just used to communicate that message was made by Chinese workers.

Most of which were probably treated far worse than the people who made the iDevices.

I won't ever buy an Apple product as long as this kind of treatment to their workers continues.

When a company knowingly buys OEM stuff from a company with troubles, that company brings the troubles upon themselves.

Knowing the conditions under which their products are made, the company can either use their purchasing power to bring about change or switchto a different supplier, or they can ignore abuses for better profits.

It looks like its more of the latter case here, so there's no anti-apple fanboy flame wars - leave the "you have this opinion because you have a android" shit at home, its way off base. This is a rather justified indignation about the evils of capitalism and companies that keep it a very dirty game.

Back