Tim Cook Justifies iPhone X’s US$999 ‘Value Price’, Emphasizes On Its Technology

Supersnake

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought that [H]ard readers would appreciate this logic....

"Well it's a value price, actually, for the technology that you're getting, and, as it turns out you know most people are now paying for phones over long periods of time, and so very few people will pay the price tag of the phone initially. Also, most people actually trade in their current phone, and so that reduces the price further, and some carriers even throw in subsidies and discounts. So, when we look at it the phone – the iPhone in particular – has become so essential in our daily lives, people want it to do more, more, and more and so we built more and more technology in to be able to do that."
-Tim Cook

Mikelle Leow, writer for Designtaxi.com wrote the subject title and added more for you to appreciate.

Last edited:
Would have been great, and much more honest, if Cook simply said: "We charge $999 for the iPhone X because people are willing to pay $999 for it. Ain't America great?"

So as long as there are monthly payments that make it somewhat affordable at 40-50 a month for a phone over 2 years, people are financially enept enough to fork over 1k for a phone that'll last them a year and some months and then be worth $300.

I was bit surprised by the $999 price tag, but should I should not have expected anything less. I agree with the general principle that something is only worth what someone will pay for it. The folks at Apple know consumers will fork over $999.

There's definitely some spin here, but at the same time, I'm not sure that Apple had much of a choice. It's not so much the actual technology as that Apple likely can't get enough volume for it to sell at a better price. The Face ID system and the OLED screen are both going to be expensive, and supplies are apparently limited for both.

Here's hoping that next year's 'regular' high-end iPhone goes with OLED and starts at $699... not counting on it, but one can dream.

Huh, that's more or less what a lot of us have been saying about the Galaxy Note 8 and its nearly-as-astronomical price tag. High cost, but also high value, especially factoring in the accessory promo and trade-in discounts.

It probably isn't helping matters much that DRAM and NAND prices are higher than before, with OLED panels that have a high reject rate (presumably from having to cut that ugly-looking unibrow in) and the Kinect-esque front facing camera/Face ID hardware seemingly providing the bulk of the cost.

As mentioned earlier, though, most consumers aren't paying full price up-front for their phones. It's just another line item on their monthly phone bill half the time, and another $40-50 each month for the next two years generally isn't going to break the budget. If it did, they have much bigger problems that warrant a new job, because I'd have to question how they can afford the phone service in the first place.

Back