tightvnc Network Install

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
Guess this is a 2 part thread really. I've always liked using tightvnc for remote assistance. Would like to keep within VNC, but having a tough time figuring out how not to go around to 75+ machines to install it and configure it. I have a pretty decent batch file that will do a silent install of the newest 2.0 and then import the registry entries, but it also installs the viewer. Not sure I want the viewer to be installed and show up in every ones start menu.

Anyways.. TightVNC users how did you deploy it to the masses?

search for "hack5" and "usb switchblade"

its a project that was done as a "proof of concept" that you can use a usb drive with special software that automatically runs commands when you plug it into any computer. just so happens that one version of it comes with a script that automatically silently installs VNC on the target computer and preconfigures it for you to connect to with your computer. you would still have to physically walk around to every computer, but it makes install easier. all you have to do is plug your thumb drive in, wait 30 seconds, remove, repeat.

Not sure I want the viewer to be installed and show up in every ones start menu.

Just have the batch file walk the user directories delteing the folder from the start menu if it creates one in each profile, or from the All User's profile if it doesn't, post running of the installer.

Just have the batch file walk the user directories delteing the folder from the start menu if it creates one in each profile, or from the All User's profile if it doesn't, post running of the installer.

I played around with this today. Worked slick!

Not sure what your use case is, but UltraVNC also has a nifty remote support option. Basically you run the viewer on your PC in a mode where it waits for remote connections. You then use a tool they provide to build a custom executable that you send to the end user with your connection details embedded. They run the executable, click connect, and their PC will connect to yours and you'll have control of their desktop.

For remote help, I find this ideal. No fiddling with discovering their network configuration, it's a one-click solution. Also doesn't require a potentially vulnerable service running on every PC all the time.

Best of all it's FOSS.

They call it UltraVNC Single Click. See http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/index.html

Back