Tigerdirect is absolutely awful

nanobeast

Limp Gawd
I ordered a couple of items through tigerdirect. everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong.

1) They shipped the items out to wrong address.
2) I called them to correct the problem. Took more than 20 minutes to get through. Tried live chat and no one responded for over an hour. Seriously?
3) When I finally got through, the person told me that he has intercepted the package.
4) Tracked later and all the packages are still showing enroute to wrong destination.
5) I call again and this time different guy says to call next day so he can have me on while we all talk to UPS for re-directing. I ask this guy to send an email confirmation summarizing our discussion. He says he is going to and it never arrives.
6) I call again today and different guy says, without even trying, that they cant intercept since it shipped from third party warehouse. I ask him, since you are using third party, cant you contact them to re-route it. And he rudely says no. I then ask him how did they ship the stuff out when my billing address on the card does not even match the shipping one and he says obviously it was some sort of system issue. What???

The guy said they cant do anything and that they will wait for the package to come back to them. Uhh..thats an apartment complex. Either someone will take it or its going to sit there for ages.

Hey, mistakes happen but how about fixing them? Amazon, newegg, etc. have made mistakes but they have tried and usually fixed them although newegg's service is also declining based on recent experiences. These guys do not even care.

So now I am looking at their resellers ratings.....

1/10! Yikes!

I can see why.

I am going to call my CC and files a dispute with them.

What happened to tigerdirect of 7-8 years ago?? Never had this kind of experience.

This is a terrible company now. Stay away!!!

Last edited:
Yeah their support is pretty bad. I waited on hold for 2 hours once waiting for a rep, no one ever answered. My phone ended up dying. Decided not to call back. As long as you don't have issues they have decent prices.

I'm sorry to hear you have had issues with them. Myself, I have only ever purchased something online from them once, and had the best outcome (order shipped same day and arrived early). This was shortly after the merger with CompUSA.

Did you have the checkbox enabled that says your billing and shipping addresses are the same? My practice when ordering online is to not fill out any shipping address at all and just use this feature. It avoids any human error that could be made on my part because the payment will simply be denied if the billing address does not match what is on your account.

I hardly believe in this day and age that a system error could cause an address to be altered. It is probably more likely that the third party is at fault here somehow. Mismatched address labels, perhaps?

Thankfully there is a B&M TigerDirect in my area, so I have just been using ship-to-store if they don't have what I'm looking for in stock.

How did you know they shipped to the wrong address while it was still in route?

mental note, Tiger Direct is awful. Oh wait, I already knew that!

Sorry for your bad expereince. I have been tempted to order from them but usually come to my senses in time.

The one time I did they cancelled my RAM order and would not give me the same deal on the same RAM. they suck

The only issues I've had with TigerDirect were with the inordinate amount of time that it takes to process an order to get it to shipped status. Once it is out their door, it has always arrived ahead of schedule and without issue.

It sounds like in your case that the warehouse labeled the shipment wrong, though that is no excuse to not attempt to remedy the situation right away. They can obviously track the package en-route via the tracking number if you can, so they can compare that to the billing address on your card and the shipping address for your order to verify that it is going to the wrong place. From there it seems that it should be as simple as shipping you a new order while they wait for the other to be returned.

Waiting for it to be returned first doesn't seem right. I understand that they don't want to lose money on the deal by having the first shipment walked off with, but that is a risk that you have to take when you ship items to your customers. I'm sure there is some shrinkage factored into the budget for these types of mishaps, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of insurance coverage for these scenarios as well.

I haven't used them since they lied to me during the initial Core 2 Duo launch. They listed the cpus as in stock then after I ordered come to find out that they were "expecting them in tomorrow" then after a couple days go buy I contact them again and hear "theyre supposed to be here tomorrow" again and just cancelled my order and never looked back.

I remember calling them years back and found their customer service rude and poorly trained.

I have purchased tons of stuff online from Tiger and have had no issues. Sometimes the items are not packaged all that well, but I have always gotten my order in a timely manner. I have never had to return anything or deal with customer service though.

I just buy absolutely everything that I can at Amazon. NewEgg use to be good, never have bought from Tigerdirect. Sooner or later these companies MIGHT realize that customer support/care/service is pretty damned important for long term success. Hello Circuit City?

FWIW, Tiger is no longer an advertiser with HardOCP as of today.

Recently bought a couple video cards (7950 for me, 7770 for my son). Great experience.

In the past, though, I've called and HATED the experience. Their support really needs some help. It's just awful. Hopefully, the sale doesn't require any support and it's just easy peasy. But, when you need help - Tiger sucks big balls.

I haven't had any problems with them so far; everything I get goes to a UPS store mailbox so delivery problems aren't an issue. And so far, I haven't had to return anything. As Newegg sucks balls so much, I'd hate to have to remove another major vendor from potential product availability. Amazon doesn't carry everything. I've got a current order at NCIX, we'll see how that goes, but so far it seems they don't ship very quickly, or maybe it's because they are in Canada?

Support is pretty bad, but I never had an issue thankfully. They don't charge tax in California so it helps save some money on computer hardware. I even returned an item once and it was pretty painless.

Sorry you have to go through all this. I had a similar experience i posted in one of their ad threads. Their support lies lies lies... Dont believe a word they tell you. If you can, chat online and be sure to keep a record of the chat... Not that it helps with Tiger Direct, but so when you go to report them to your cc company you have those records.

I called in to cancel an order that i placed online for an item that they listed as in stock. Few days after i ordered, i look for shipping notification, and nothing. When I call in, they say that the item is backordered for maybe 2 more weeks.. I tell them ill just order from somewhere else and to cancel my order. They tell me not a problem.

2 months later, I get a shipment notification. I'm all...wth? I look at my cc statements and they billed me from when I originally placed the order... Again, wth? So i call in again, and they say they cannot reroute and i need to not accept the delivery, or ship it back to them and once they receive it, they can credit back my cc. Again... Wth? They screwed up and take no responsibility, and put all the burden on me to fix their mistakes.

Anyways, long story short... Good luck getting your items if they shipped it to the wrong place... They will ask you to miraculously have it returned to get a refund... That's the type of company they are.

I was going to say that there's always zipzoomfly but well it looks like they didn't do so well either.

I'm hit or miss on TD.
Hit:

Walked into their store & they pricematched an i5-4570.

Miss:
Ordered a combo on amazon for $550. Video card + SSD. After hearing about horror stories on slickdeals (it's actually a video card + stick(s) of ram, not the 750G ssd), I proactively wrote to them. They told me they confirmed the error, told me they couldn't stop the package so I should refuse it. I did.

I call them a few days later and they've received it, but it may take 5-10 biz days to credit AFTER RECEIVING EVEN THOUGH I NEVER OPENED THE BOX.

approximately 8 biz days they credit me -20% restocking fee ($120'ish dollars) WTF?

Takes them another 5-10 biz days to credit THAT.

Total cluster.

bad news TigerDirect is.
I hate the asterisk crap.
$50*

*-$80 with $30 rebate :rolleyes:

It is a shitty way of doing things, but unfortunately a lot of e-tailers do this. Hell, even Best Buy has had some annoying fine print on their advertised pricing in my experience.

I try to do as much with Amazon as possible, but when a good deal pops up on the Egg or at TD, I still snag things from time to time.

The other day I was upgrading a computer that I built for someone to Windows 7. It was one of those TD $199 combo deals that came with an Antec Neo Eco PSU and a decent mATX mini tower case. It has been running great for a few years now, but it was finally time for them to say bye to Windows XP...

Miss:
Ordered a combo on amazon for $550. Video card + SSD. After hearing about horror stories on slickdeals (it's actually a video card + stick(s) of ram, not the 750G ssd), I proactively wrote to them. They told me they confirmed the error, told me they couldn't stop the package so I should refuse it. I did.

What does amazon have to do with TigerDirect?

What does amazon have to do with TigerDirect?

It was listed on amazon but tigerdirect was the seller. Bought the same combo myself and what a shit storm that was. They rerouted the package and only refunded me 410 out of the 550. Had to go through amazon a-z claim to get all my money back. Never going to buy from tigerdirect again.

i remember a few years back td had an awful rep. people would make jokes about td in some forums etc. i think back then td tried to make an effort to be a better company. looks like they didnt try very hard.

Even their B&M stores suck ass. Story time...

When the Asus T100 first came out, they were one of the first ones to offer it for sale. The website said my local store (Dallas Tollway) had them in stock. I called the store to confirm and the dude on the phone said that yes, they had a few left. I work down the street from the store, so I went in on my lunch break and asked where the T100 was. The sales guy proceeds to tell me that there is no such thing as a T100. I tell him about the website and the guy who answered the phone. He still insists that the T100 doesn't exist. I ask him to look it up, and he pulls it up on the website. Then he goes on about how the website inventory is different than what the stores carry. (Even though the website says that it is in stock at the Dallas store) I bring up the phone call again, and he tells me that the person I talked to probably just made up the fact that they had the computer in stock. He then sees that the T100 is a windows tablet and tries to sell me a Surface 2 (non-pro). Needless to say, I left and eventually bought my T100 a few days later on Amazon.

How did you know they shipped to the wrong address while it was still in route?

I'm guessing they didn't ship to the "wrong address" and instead the OP indicated the wrong address for shipment when he placed his order. Seeing his mistake, he then tried to get TD to change his shipping address and re-route the package mid-stream.

Turns out, that's often a total cluster no matter the seller.

Double check your addresses before you hit submit, people!

I had to call tiger direct support once & got someone in florida that sounded like rosie perez, it was hard communicating with her to say the least lol

I've had no issues with Tiger Direct or SYX, I just make sure i'm actually ordering an item from TD and not one of the Resellers. You can tell if it is TD that is shipping from one of their Warehouses if it says "In Stock". If it says "Usually Ships within 48 Hours" or "Usually Ships in 3 - 5 Business Days" I do not order from them.

I had an issue recently with an Intel NUC and I reached out to the email listed on their Facebook page:

[email protected]

I was put in contact with someone at SYX, great support in my experience. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them... :(

Years ago when I ordered parts from mail order catalogs Tiger was often my choice. Businesses change over the years, and Tiger is no exception. Last month I was ordering parts to rebuild an old system and had problems getting my web order processed, so I called them. Rep really only seemed interested in getting me into some monthly coupon club. I did get my web order to go through and I received the parts alright, but I'll certainly think hard next time I consider ordering from them.

I only used them a few times, once to buy a monitor that wasn't available anywhere else. The site is very buggy, I am a ShopRunner member and TD advertised 2 day shipping, however the option was greyed out in Chrome. I had to use IE to select it (???).

The other time was when I tried out their Bitcoin payment feature - CS apparently had no record of the transaction even though it was showing up on the blockchain and had 10+ confirms, I had to go through 3 different reps until they said it was showing up on their system. One even suggested that I just re-order.

So yeah, not terrible but not a good experience. Mirrors what I experience with a lot of shops that aren't Amazon these days unfortunately. Honestly Amazon is going to drive a lot of these smaller players out of business eventually, they are so far ahead. It's gotten to the point where I still go to Amazon even if the price is higher, it's worth the peace of mind to me when it comes to support / returns. NewEgg screwed me on a mobo RMA a few months ago, so I stopped going there too.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm not so sure TD is trying at all to improve.. It seems their business is built around scamming its customers. It honestly feels like they purposely tell their support staff to lie to the customers... Especially if they have already billed the cc. They hold on to those funds as long as they can.

When you hear something good come out of their mouth, in my experience it is generally a lie.. You will find out a day or so later that what they told you would happen, never happened.. Then you get sent on this loop of lying customer support reps... So anytime you think you are making progress with them... You're not... They are just telling you what you want to hear to get you off the phone.

Terrible company... I reported them to the BBB, my credit card company, and the state of California's district attorneys office showing them logs of their lies, illegal activities, blackmail, and fraud.

Tigerdirect is the land where Customer Service and Rebates go to die. I only live one day's shipping away from their Chicago location and don't ever use them anymore. Not worth the hassles.

Recently, I had to buy a case from TD ( Vernon Hills, Illinois location ). This was a case that only TD had in stock. The salesperson gets the case and asks me about the build. So, I tell him that it's a gaming build for someone's kid. He then asks me what videocard I'm putting in it. I tell him an R9 270. Next, he begins to lecture me on how much better GTX 750 TI is than R9 270. Really ???

Tigerdirect is the land where Customer Service and Rebates go to die. I only live one day's shipping away from their Chicago location and don't ever use them anymore. Not worth the hassles.

to be fair, every rebate I have done from tigerdirect has come, in fact my only rebate not to ever come was for $5 from linksys.

hmm. I've never had any problems from them. Ordered a 40" lcd back in 09 and came back super quick.

Last week, I ordered a 290 tri-x and it came in 2 days. I had a problem with the card so talked to chat and they sent an advanced replacement that came in 3 days to CA. I sent the old one back with their label in the same box this morning..They aren't the most professional but my experiences are good so far.. We'll see how fast they credit me after they receive the card.

I recently bought my Tri-X 290 OC from tigerdirect.ca. The card was the lowest price I have seen anywhere (on sale), and it was shipped quickly. I am playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein: New Order right now, all details maxed, and having a blast. I guess Tiger Direct is a case of YMMV.

Back