TigerDirect Has New Owner, Won’t Accept Returns

So a site that sells products with mechanical and electrical parts that are prone to breaking won't accept returns?

RIP TigerDirect

Most of the stuff on their website currently is really either low cost or refurbished. So not taking returns is such a bad idea for the end customer. However for the biz, its super smart. If they get a bit more realistic on pricing, it would be better for them.

I guess make sure the item you are buying has a good warranty or is super cheap

Depends on how you build your machine. If you're buying the value parts, than ya, you won't notice much difference between a custom built or a Dell. If you're going with higher quality parts from OEM PC Builders like ibuypower, Origin, Puget, Maingear, or whatever, they nickel and dime you. That or outright rape you.

I don't see DIY PCs going out. I don't think much has changed in that regard, except there's a lot more high end parts and accessories. 5 years ago, you'd be lucky to have an AIO watercooling setup. Now everyone seems to make one. More case choices, more keyboard choices, more mouse choices, etc. Less mobo manufacturers, but with the available ones make a wider variety of mobos.

I'd think fewer mobo manufacturers is representative of the shift from a wide variety of options in assembling your own to, like most all other electronics, buying a sealed unit and replacing it completely as needed.

DIY PC will exist, but not at a scale that can support the Neweggs and Tiger Directs. Following the usual course, there will be low investment tinkering with a Raspberry Pi and hi-end boutique technophile extravagance with little in between for everyone else.

Wow, Tiger Direct is really going down hill. First they got rid of all but (i think) 2 retail locations and now this. I guess no one from the EU is going to get to buy from them since they seem to have very strong consumer protection laws much less TD's US operations... surely this can't be legal. Are they not going to allow credit card purchases either? Just bitcoin and money in an envelope?

TD gets sketchier by the day :-(.

Well I have bought from them in the past without issue, but with this change there is 0% chance I will buy stuff from them anymore. Oh well they haven't been competitive for a while now, I think the last thing I bought were a couple of HDs from them in 2014 sometime.

they are closing their last FL store (Flagler) also... there are now no large computer stores in South Florida *at all*... unless you count the two power supplies and 4 hard drives best buy carries :(

Hope they are gone once and for all. The only site in existence that still has rebates. What the hell kind of bullshit is this to have rebates in 2015. Its no wonder Amazon prospers and has my business.

Ever heard of NewEgg, the king of rebates?

why would a business even do this? I mean, that doesn't even make sense....

not that I ever shopped at TD, their prices have always sucked

Their prices didn't always suck. Back when they were still essentially a mail order catalog, they had much better prices than any brick and motor store I ever had access to where I lived. They were even competitive only for a couple years. Then they "bought" those two dead companies, brought over some of the same asshats that ran them into the ground, then adopted their failed business practices for some reason. Prices went up, stores got closed, and selection turned to crap. I remember walking into a TD retail store one day and instantly realizing they had it laid out and priced like the COMPusa that had closed on the other side of town. Never went back.

I don't think half the people in this thread realize that they are shutting down the consumer side of Tiger Direct. Any store that's liquidating/closing out doesn't accept returns. Pretty common practice, nothing to see here...move on...

That's every SSD they have for sale

tiger_ssd.jpg

I don't think half the people in this thread realize that they are shutting down the consumer side of Tiger Direct. Any store that's liquidating/closing out doesn't accept returns. Pretty common practice, nothing to see here...move on...

Yeah, it sounds that way. Someone even mentioned it in the thread earlier, but people are still like, freaking out.

On a their-consumer-site-is-shutting-down-and-I-went-looking-for-cheap-stuff-note, I totally checked out their 50% off deals last night and was very not at all impressed by the discounts. When a department store goes out of business, they mark down their inventory a LOT more. TigerDirect's prices really seem pretty much the same as Amazon sells stuff without a shutdown sale with like maybe an exception of monitors and other screens being a little cheaper, but those prolly sell badly even when not discounted since laptops, tablets, and phones all come with a screen making an external one pretty pointless.

So they want people to do credit card charge backs instead?

When you buy you are likely also signing a notice that the sale is final. That's all that is needed to stop a chargeback.

The store in Georgia is a 40 mile drive for me and taking it was always a crap shoot because there was no way to tell if they had something in stock or not on their website. The only thing they could do was help you order it online, despite the fact that it was also a distribution center. Even if there was a option to pick up at the store it would be better.

I remember ordering from them a fair amount in the 90's. I've tried to order video cards from them in recent years but have had major issues with them claiming something is in stock when it really isn't. I ended up canceling two separate orders that just sat there in their system for a week each.
Wish I was sad to see them go, but I'm really not.

No one ever pays attention to the fine print. UP TO 50% off. NOT 50% off. UP TO. So, they might have one thing at 50% off, everything else 1% off. The ad is still accurate.

They're essentially doing business as usual. Only, no returns.

That said. Tiger Direct was a crap seller back in the 90's. 2nd tier merchandise, but advertised as 1st. I stopped paying attention to their stuff while Computer shopper magazine was still the best way to find out where to buy your parts. Their decent into bankruptcy doesn't surprise me at all, just how long it took to happen. Amazon is kicking everyone's ass, using sheer volume and multiple suppliers to get great prices, fast delivery, and they take returns with the new item being shipped while the old one gets returned. It's going to be hard to beat that. I don't see a future for TD.

Tiger Direct will end all online and brick and mortar consumer sales by the end of January 2016

Tiger Direct will end all online and brick and mortar consumer sales by the end of January 2016

Everyone already knows that when a fire sale happens, a month is about all they have left...

Hope they are gone once and for all. The only site in existence that still has rebates. What the hell kind of bullshit is this to have rebates in 2015. Its no wonder Amazon prospers and has my business.

Pretty sure Fry's and Microcenter still do them, except they both basically fill everything out for you. If you are too lazy to go to a website and mail it in it's on you.

I'd think fewer mobo manufacturers is representative of the shift from a wide variety of options in assembling your own to, like most all other electronics, buying a sealed unit and replacing it completely as needed.

That's just it, there might be less mobo manufacturers, but those manufacturers make a much wider variety of mobos. You'd get like what? 20-30 mobos for a given socket through it's lifetime from a single manufacturer. Now, there's like double that amount.

It's definitely a bigger chore deciding what mobo you want, compared to 10 years ago. Want the highest end mobo from this manufacturer? Well, here's the one. Today, pick one of these 3 in ATX, one of these 3 in mATX, or one of these 3 in ITX.

DIY PC will exist, but not at a scale that can support the Neweggs and Tiger Directs. Following the usual course, there will be low investment tinkering with a Raspberry Pi and hi-end boutique technophile extravagance with little in between for everyone else.

Nah, I still see the middle ground being there, cause you have low/mid-range boutiques like ibuypower. Even some that use to do nothing but high end have started making more mid-range machines.

Obviously, the DIY PC market has shrunk, as you simply can't support all those different online stores. The B&M stores went first cause, who wants to only see a limited inventory that's usually overpriced. What was stupid was any business buying up those stores when they went. Fry's is the only one that I'm surprised is still around, but they have a small presence and there's only 2 companies in that market. Them and Best Buy.

I imagine 2-3 online stores will be around for the long haul. Unless Amazon cleans them out and well, I like Amazon, but I also dislike Amazon. If you can buy directly from Amazon or Amazon is the one that fulfills the order, that's great. It's when you're stuck with some random whatever store that's on their marketplace. That's what I avoid like the plague.

Tiger Direct has been slowly winding down operations for a year. Their current stock is a bunch of totally picked over junk. Too much competition, they were outmaneuvered by the expansion of their more agile competitors and they expanded into the retail space just as everyone else was pulling out (for good reason).

NEWS FLASH!
All though probably most knew this

TigerDirect merchandise is largely refurbs, returns, and low end junk. It is CHEAP for a reason.

BEWARE mister customer.

NEWS FLASH!
All though probably most knew this

TigerDirect merchandise is largely refurbs, returns, and low end junk. It is CHEAP for a reason.

BEWARE mister customer.

You can get some good deals though sometimes especially with the refurb computers.

Got a laptop for our church, had 8GB of ram, a 120GB SSD, decent processor (can't remember, i5 or something like that) and Windows 7. (very hard to find a good win7 laptop these days). Paid $400 for it. Hardware alone you can't get that for that price anywhere else. It was a refurb, but still pretty good deal. most other places will charge a premium for 8GB of ram and a SSD. A comparable laptop is near a grand anywhere else, and it will probably come with windows 8. Eww. You can put what you want on it, but it's always nice to have a legit license for the OS if you're buying for someone else.

Maybe a Thumb drive or a pack of batteries in the last 5 years but nothing else. Hell I hardly ever buy from New Egg either. It's usually Amazon or Ebay when some company like Dell of MS are trying to get rid of their stock.

The days of doing it yourself PC's is closing to an end. You'll probably still be able to do it for the next 5 years or so but by then it probably wouldn't be worth it. I still have SB Desktops and laptops and really haven't seen the need to replace them. Back at the turn of the century and before I'd upgrade every chance I got by the novelty has long worn off. Use to get a big kick out of doing it, now, it just doesn't seem worth the while, not even some kind of feeling of accomplishment.

I kind of expect New Egg to fold up within 5 years.

Egg fold in 5 years lol. I just finished a skylake build and loved every dam minute. Bring on 2016 games baby!

Egg fold in 5 years lol. I just finished a skylake build and loved every dam minute. Bring on 2016 games baby!

I seriously doubt that pc components are the majority of their business still. They are more like amazon now than ever. While, I don't agree with you about PC gaming dying, I don't think it will sound the death knell of newegg.

Tigerdirect exiting the market is bad for us all, less competition means higher prices from those remaining.

I just built a 6700K pc and had rebates for the Mobo, Power Supply, Case, CPU Cooler...over $100 in rebates for stuff bought on black friday...I saved a ton. I have already submitted them all and received confirmation that they were all accepted and rebate amex cards are on the way. You just have to transfer them all to an amazon or newegg gift card or use them soon because some of them now have fees as they are prepaid amex cards and the user terms of service say after x months it's $5 a month in B.S. fees.

I seriously doubt that pc components are the majority of their business still. They are more like amazon now than ever. While, I don't agree with you about PC gaming dying, I don't think it will sound the death knell of newegg.

Tigerdirect exiting the market is bad for us all, less competition means higher prices from those remaining.

I don't think that this one company shutting down is going to matter much. Given that they are being shut down means that they were not making much money, because lets face it, if they were making hundreds of millions of dollars a year they wouldn't be shut down.

Tiger Direct was purchased for $14 million, So they couldn't have made much of anything per year. Which is only a little more than what their execs illegally obtained through kickbacks at the value of $11 million. Although at least the $14 million isn't landing anyone in jail... as far as we know yet.

Given how cheap they were sold off, they can't be big enough to effect the market much. Now if they were a much larger company then sure, but as it stands they are a nobody. That is like saying the local book store in your town going out of business is going to raise book prices.

You just have to transfer them all to an amazon or newegg gift card or use them soon because some of them now have fees as they are prepaid amex cards and the user terms of service say after x months it's $5 a month in B.S. fees.

Or just request a printed check and deposit it into your checking account. Much less hassle juggling prepaid cards.

I never had a high opinion of TD, but ever since I worked for a manufacturer in tech support and found out that they were "allegedly" selling some of our refurb products as new, I've refused to do business with them at all.

You can get some good deals though sometimes especially with the refurb computers.

Got a laptop for our church, had 8GB of ram, a 120GB SSD, decent processor (can't remember, i5 or something like that) and Windows 7

You can sometimes get a refurb something or other and it works fine.
BUT, the odds of getting non working junk are very high also.

I purchased parts from TD to build my wife a work PC. Case, memory, MB, CPU, DVD-R/W drive, 2 19" LCD monitors. Out of those parts the CPU was dead and the DVD R/W drive didn't work half the and the 2 LCDs were such poor quality they were unusable. Getting RMAs and credits on this stuff was not too fun. We never did get credit for 1 of the 2 monitors. I got sick of calling them and getting "Well, we will check into this and let you know".

You mean to tell me that there was another online source for computer components and accessories besides Amazon and NewEgg?

You mean to tell me that there was another online source for computer components and accessories besides Amazon and NewEgg?

There was a company that performed many illegal activities while pretending to the government to be a online computer part store. Don't know I would really call them an online store.

No returns? R.I.P Tiger Direct. At the very least, you're dead to me.

Back