Tiger direct link for $50 off oem QX9650

Yeah, I'm suspicious of tigerdirect's QX9650s warranty. It says it is a 12 month warranty from Intel, however, Intel says that OEM processors are solely warrantied by the seller. Also, the fine print on tigerdirect says that the 12 month warranty is null and void if you do not purchase a heatsink/fan from them at the time you purchase the processor and that is rated for that processor.

Argh! Now I'm wishing I went with a retail box. The only problem was they were out of stock literaly everywhere I looked and all the vendors are scalping them for an extra 2-3 hundred bucks more than I paid anyway.

The only consolation is I've never seen a cpu go bad of it's own.

Watch me get the shitiest clockin' yorkfield anyone has seen, then it dies a mysterious death. Since I'm watercooling I didn't buy a heatsink along with it. And for that matter what heatsinks other than the retail unit are "qualified" for a 9650.

It's bullshit when you pay over a grand and the warranty is so half assed. I knew it before hand though.

i think i'm gonna grab that proc tonight from tiger direct. the warranty does sound a little funky, so what i might do is just buy a heatsink and fan from them that is pretty cheap just to cover myself. i plan on using the thermalright ultra 120. i guess i'd rather pay an extra 30 or 40 bucks for a heatsink i won't use instead of being totally out of luck if the proc goes bad

i know, would be nice if i could pick it up from them and cover all bases, i guess i'll just buy a 20 dollar one to meet the requirement...whats 20 more bucks when you're dropping over a grand on proc

eh. If I get it from them I have to pay $53 shipping and taxes. :rolleyes: Im still waiting on buy.com to get some...

I am waiting for retail package. It should be available very soon. I want to have 3 year warranty that covers overclocking.

Even the 3 yr warranty doesn't cover overclocking. The advantage a boxed CPU gives you is that you are guaranteed by the seals someone hasn't test driven it for OC potential before you get to it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Even the 3 yr warranty doesn't cover overclocking. The advantage a boxed CPU gives you is that you are guaranteed by the seals someone hasn't test driven it for OC potential before you get to it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Boxed non-extreme Intel CPU warranty will be voided if you overclock. But if I remember correctly, you can overclock core 2 extreme without voiding the warranty.

Back