Tie Fighter 95, X-Wing 95, and Windows 2000/XP 3D acceleration compatibility patch

electech98

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

Just was searching around for a fix to the problem having to do with Windows 2000/XP not recognizing 3D acceleration in X-Wing 95 or Tie Fighter 95, and I found this:

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=653

I know, I know, old games. But Tie Fighter rocked in its day, and still rocks. I own both Tie Fighter 95 and X-Wing 95 CD's, and this patch has definitely fixed the 3D acceleration problem they had with Windows 2000/XP for me. I no longer have to run them in software mode.

Give it a try if you still play these games on a Windows 2000/XP machine.

Hah, that reminds me of the times where I'd play tie fighter and scream at the bugs that wouldn't let me finish a chunk of the missions. For the bugs though, it was so ahead of its time gameplay-wise. I seriously miss that game - it's one of those space shooters that did things right.

SCORE!!!!!

Nicely done, man. (Off to li'l brother's house to get MY copies of x-wing and tie fighter)

I was in high school when these games were state of the art...God I'm old.

Hey, glad at least some people are stoked about it.

By the way, I think it only works on the X-Wing 95 and Tie Fighter 95 versions, the ones that usually came on a CD. The older DOS version, the one that came on the floppies, is not included as it never had any 3D acceleration whatsoever. The CD versions sport DirectX capabilities.

Damn, that means I'll have to mysteriously acquire them :)
Or, at the very least, pull out my X vs Tie CD somewhere :p

thats ok i remember being pissed waiting for tie fighter to come out on cd. Since it was on floppies first. I got the cd version of xwing and tiefighter xvt and alliance arround here somewhere. Good thing i stuck it out i dont even have a floppy drive anymore lol

Why cant they just make a new Tie Fighter, or X-Wing game. These games were so awesome, back in the day.

Hell if they just updated the graphics I would buy it.

I still remember the one mission where a corvette takes off from a space platform, and you can only catch it with a tie interceptor, before it goes to lightspeed. The wall in my computer room took a beating from that mission. (it was a bonus objective I think)

Draax said:
Why cant they just make a new Tie Fighter, or X-Wing game. These games were so awesome, back in the day.

Hell if they just updated the graphics I would buy it.

I still remember the one mission where a corvette takes off from a space platform, and you can only catch it with a tie interceptor, before it goes to lightspeed. The wall in my computer room took a beating from that mission. (it was a bonus objective I think)

If LucasArts ever remade the Tie Fighter/X-Wing series with the combination of its original gameplay and today's graphics, I would be set for life.

And yes, some of those missions were so gosh-darned hard, but what a sigh of relief when you actually accomplished those tough objectives!

Indeed! I really havn't played a better space sim since that game.

Kinda sad that that genre hasn't moved forward in 10 years time.

Missleboat for the win! It sure would be sweet if Lucas Arts could repackage these with updated graphics and customizeable missions. All they would have to do really is release a mission builder and this game would sell like hotcakes. Can even tie it into an official Lucas Arts server so that you can make XvT camapigns. The community would take over from that point...

That's been one of my biggest hopes for several years...a new Star Wars space sim (especially if it gets large numbers to play online)

Somebody show Lucas that new Nintendo controller. lol
Current space sims suck, but like adventure games, most companies have abandoned them - Lucasarts included. I wonder what it would take to truly bring them back.

I dont know why developers have abandoned them. Science fiction sims in general have been disapearing.

Freespace 2 was a great game, and one of a very few that hooked me for good long time.

And what the hell happaned to Mech Warrior. Common! is there really anything better then stomping around in a 100 ton mech blasting everything to bits.

X wing alliance isnt that old... And the graphics were pretty good. Give it another year or two and i bet they will make another. The big problem is the Computer joystick era is kinda dead. But once EAW Battlefront2 are all finished they will probably start the next xwing series

It seems like this comes up every couple weeks or so. Maybe we need to start a petition and shoot it off to Lucasarts.

I'm just thinking about the mission creator in Alliance, coupled with the power of today's computers...setting up capital ships to duke it out, with infinite waves of TIEs and Republic fighters furballing in the middle of Super Star Destroyers and Calamari Cruisers while they trade broadsides...ah, nostalgia (and all that on integrated graphics w/ a PII 350 Mhz).

Dammit!! I don't think I have my old TiE Fighter and X-Wing games anymore.

I'm gonna have to call my brother tomorrow and see if hes got them.

LucasFiles errors out when I try to d/l the file. I can't find contact info to report a bad link.

If anyone has the file and can email it to me, please PM.

Thanks!

Anyone know of any commands to force TIE Fighter to run in a res higher than 640x480? Not sure if it's possible, but I'd sure love to be able to do it.

Back