Tiamat 7.1 yay or nay?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
WIth that 50% off Razer stuff, that they will run tomorrow (at least tomorrow in EU), I started considering the Tiamat. WIth their real 7.1 sound, they could be heaven when paired with my new Asus soundcard with 7.1 output (especially as that combo was praised by KitGuru)

Some of the reviews state they sound brilliant, other say, they have "dull" sound and no bass. So I'd appreciate any input from the people who had experience with the headset.

And no, I won't be using them for listening the music, so I don't bother with the issues some mention that those drivers can't cope with mp3.

They're neat, sure, but most agree that you're in about the same place, maybe better, with a reasonably high end pair of standard headphones (Sennheiser HD 598, AKG Q701, Bayerdynamics, etc) and virtual surround. At half off, I'd consider them. Make sure you're gentle with them, though -- they'll break if you look at them funny, with that "famous" Razer build quality.

I haven't used them but always felt 5.1 and 7.1 headsets that use multiple speakers were kind of gimmicky.

I remember years ago a friend bought the psyko 5.1, they sounded good but I remember them being very heavy and didn't feel they sounded that much better, if any, than my HD 555's I was using at the time with X-Fi software based surround.

I'm not a big fan of the look either but like I said I haven't used them, haven't wore them.

The only Razer headset I have ever used it the Blackshark, which has excellent build quality but does fit a little snug. Sounds good too but I still prefer my PC 360's

I am also looking for a good surround sound headset. I on the other hand totally believe in true 7.1 over anything virtual. I bought some Medusas several years back, nothing gimmicky about them at all, they were awesome. The issues are simple and complex all at the same time. True surround sound requires multiple drivers and they require some careful wiring. This means they are not easy to produce and not cheap either. Also their is a weight issue, all those drivers will usually add up to a heavy headset.

My first set of Medusa 7.1s lasted about 2 years then I knocked them off my desk and broke off one of the earcup housings. I wasn't happy but I ordered another pair without a thought, That pair also broke but this time they just seemed weak at that junction and I figured they must have gone to a cheaper plastic that wasn't standing up to the stress. They weren't cheap, I was disappointed, I didn't buy a third.

I have tried some cheaper sets but never found the build quality needed for a good set like those first Medusas. There must be other sets but they aren't cheap, I just want to know that if I am forking out $150 to $300 for a headset that I am getting a good set that will hold up.

I am looking for recommendations from those who own and use what they are recommending.

Didn't get them in the end. RazerStore was out of stock of those cans during 50% discount and no way I'm paying full price for them. Maybe next year I'll have more luck :)

Back