Ti4200, XP, DirectX9?, Asus A7V8X-X, which detonators?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
:confused: As you can see from my sig.(Dragon1 system), I'm a little behind the times as far as detonator drivers go. But I may be helping someone reassemble a system with the only thing new as the MB, so don't pay any attention to my sig beyond that. His parts are about one year old and I need to know the best detonators for his system (all stock speeds and no overclocking ever):

Windows XP Home Edition
Athlon Barton 2500+ CPU
Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition HS/fan
Asus A7V8X-X (new)
2x512MB of Crucial PC2700 RAM
Chaintech GeForce4 Ti4200
SB Audigy2 OEM
on-board LAN
...etc.

I believe last year he started out and stuck with the 44.03s or the 44.71s with the Biostar M7VIT Pro MB (WinXP also) and it seemed to work fine. He will probably not be upgrading for a year or two. I was just curious what would be best. Should he install the latest DirectX9c for the newer and upcoming games or is DX9b or even DX8.1 OK for now? And then, of course, in combination with what detonators? Thanks for any help! :cool:

I have a very similar setup and am running the latest Det & Dx without any problems.

-R

I think that the 44.03's have been proven to be the best set for the GF4's, anything newer and it seems to hinder performance some.

lordroy said:
I have a very similar setup and am running the latest Det & Dx without any problems.

-R

as far as that goes having Dx9.0c without a Dx9 capable video card really isn't helping you any, nor are the newest drivers.

So, the Ti4200 isn't DX9-compatible or DX9-compliant? Also, is there any advantage whatsoever to install DX9c over DX9b or DX9b over latest DX8 with the Ti4200 and WindowsXP? Will he be able to play any DX9 games at all, because I know that I can't even play the Halo demo with my Dragon1 system (Ti4400 card)?

Also, if I installed the 44.03s with DX9c, would the system freak out?

The plan is to install whatever he is going to use and that's that. Unless, I can explain to him how to uninstall drivers, use detonator rip, and reinstall and he understands it. Of course, if he doesn't come to these forums and run benchmarks, he won't know the difference. I'm guessing that if he buys a DX9 game in the future, he will just have to upgrade his video card.

Back