Ti-89 Walmart 109.99 YMMV

Pliskin

Limp Gawd
I needed a replacement fast and went to a local walmart to find that instead of paying upwards of 150, they were selling for 109. Located in AZ. YMMV.

Its nice to see old technology like this still holding its value :rolleyes:

I bought a TI-83 silver for 120 something 6 years ago for highschool. I mean yeah it was nice I had tetris and beerhunt loaded into it, but their can't be anything about those calculators that physically make them cost that much, not anymore. Just inflated by its widespread use.

TI-83 silver is inferior to the TI-89.

I think his point is that the TI line has remained the same for a very long time. FWIW, the TI-89 Ti has been in existence for at least 5-6 years.

Still, due to the generally high prices I'd say this is a good deal for a new TI-89 Titanium.

I think his point is that the TI line has remained the same for a very long time. FWIW, the TI-89 Ti has been in existence for at least 5-6 years.

Still, due to the generally high prices I'd say this is a good deal for a new TI-89 Titanium.

Longer! I bought a TI-89 back in 2000. I don't have it anymore so I'm stuck with my old TI-85.

I bought mine used off ebay (locally) for ~$60-70 I think...

Was quite handy in Linear Algebra, but now we're in Calc I and II and we're back to a TI-30 because the 89 can do "too much" ... haha..

Sad when you can buy an iPhone app that does so much more for $4 (Graphing Calculator, must have for Math and Engineering students) and the same thing for $20 (Rk-89, emulated Ti-89 or Rk-84 for $4) and can't use them in class. I own a Ti-84 Plus for class, we aren't allowed to use Ti-89 on tests do to cheating concerns (homework is fine) :( I think that is just silly!

I also have a basic Ti-30 (should of gotten the solar one), cause its just damn sexy.

We're not even allowed graphing calculators for Calc II... has to be TI-30 or just pen/paper.

Kinda sucks, but at least forces us to learn how to do it. I just use the 89 to verify when doing homework.

we aren't allowed to use Ti-89 on tests do to cheating concerns (homework is fine) :( I think that is just silly!
When I took calculus in highschool we were allow calculators on the tests, so I just used the notepad on my ti 84 to hold a bunch of equations basically I really didn't need to know anything. I can see why teachers don't allow them on tests.

But calc 2 in college they only allow me pencil and paper. You can use a calc on your homework though (but you don't turn it in so it doesn't really matter).

I bought my TI-89 in 2000 back in high school. That was after my sister lost my TI-86. Definitely liked the 86 better.

I've owned two calcs up until my final semester: TI-89 and TI-30. As everyone here's said, almost always universities now crack down on the usage of the 89 series. In those classes a scientific calculator has done well for me. But for the more gritty engineering classes I've taken (one's where having a calc means nothing unless you know the formulas/procedures of the material you're learning), the 89 is the best thing I've had. It's those classes were profs have recommended it, cuz you don't wanna waste time filling paper with scratch on test when they want answer.

I loved my TI-89. Durable sucker too! I accidentally put it in the washing machine with my backpack one time...and the dryer. It still works to this day, though there are a good number of white flecks where it slammed around in the dryer. Think I got it back in 2000 or so, for about this price.

I bought a TI-89 off eBay last year for $105 shipped. I'm fairly certain it's stolen, the package had a quick hack job on the back where they cut out the anti-theft tag. Other than that, it works well and registered fine on TI's website...

I can attest to their durability. I have a TI-86 and a TI-68 for regular calculator needs.

TI-30's are lame.
TI-35's are better.

If you can find a TI-68, get one. It's the best non-graphic pocket calculator you can get.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-68

I just have to say, you guys are a bunch of nerds talkin about calculators like this, you should be ashamed...

*edit*
wait, I've got a TI-68 at home and damn it is a nice calculator! brb, I need to go cut myself now.

I wish teachers would stop being lazy and stop requiring for the coursework.

There's really no reason why it should be required for teaching the subject.

I remember a in Trigonometry, a teacher taught the subject for 20 minutes, then setup the projector+calculator to show how to graph for another 20 minutes, and the rest of the class was assisting student on how to use their calculators.

What a waste.

I have a Slide Rule (seriously) handed down to me from my Dad who got it from his, and it was apparently made from elephant tusk back in the late 1800s so... unless someone whips out some ancient Chinese abacus, well, there ya go. :D

Sad when you can buy an iPhone app that does so much more for $4 (Graphing Calculator, must have for Math and Engineering students) and the same thing for $20 (Rk-89, emulated Ti-89 or Rk-84 for $4) and can't use them in class. I own a Ti-84 Plus for class, we aren't allowed to use Ti-89 on tests do to cheating concerns (homework is fine) :( I think that is just silly!

I also have a basic Ti-30 (should of gotten the solar one), cause its just damn sexy.

I don't know of any smartphone app available on any platform that can do half the things a TI-89 can. Graphing Calculator doesn't do symbolic math, statistics, integration, simultaneous equations, expansion and simplification, polar equations, etc.

Rk-89 isn't an emulator either. It also lacks most of the core functions of a TI-89.

I would pay $50 for an Android app that could do all of the stuff a TI-89 does.

It's a very powerful calculator for engineers/math... A guy I know who majored in engineering of some sort, uses his Ti-89 every day at his job. I forget exactly what he does... something with energy from the ground when you dig down a bit.

I just wish teachers were consistent at the same school. One class the teacher nearly requires the TI-89 and makes tests hard enough that you have to have functions programmed into your calculator before the test or you'll probably fail. I remember taking the first test with an 84 and it was such a pain doing matrices with that, ended up doing most of the 4x4 matrices by hand and not finishing on time. Still got ~82% but could have been better...

But then I get to the next Calc class and they say no graphing calculators period. Then I'll take another class with the first teacher and it'll be pretty much requiring the 89 again...

Oh well, this is a decent deal if you need an 89 and want a brand new one.

i amazes me that TI does not have a RPN calculator , its funny working at a hi-tech company and seeing all these 15 year old hp's being used. I hear there is a hack of some sort to get rpn onto a 89 ill have to research into that i think its time to retire my hp..

1996.png
http://xkcd.com/768/

I saw basically the same thing advertised in the frys ad a few weeks back for the back-to-school period. Pretty much everything mentioned above is what was going on thu my head at the time. I still have my TI 89 from about 15 years ago which also cost about the same.

How much do you think a working Chinese rip off of these things could be made for? 5$?

I saw basically the same thing advertised in the frys ad a few weeks back for the back-to-school period. Pretty much everything mentioned above is what was going on thu my head at the time. I still have my TI 89 from about 15 years ago which also cost about the same.

How much do you think a working Chinese rip off of these things could be made for? 5$?

Probably about $15.

You're not paying for the hardware, though. You're paying for the software. A TI-89 has some serious mathematics software built in. A student copy of Maple is $125, and that's just a CD - no hardware at all. Mathematica and Matlab start at well over $1000.

I bought mine used off ebay (locally) for ~$60-70 I think...

Was quite handy in Linear Algebra, but now we're in Calc I and II and we're back to a TI-30 because the 89 can do "too much" ... haha..

Those sons of b*****es! "do too much" ~

Managerial Statistics here we are expected to do our problems in excel using commands and the math functions in Excel.

Who needs a calculator!

I really should sell my 89 and 84

They still cost what they do because of a lack of good competition....Hp calculators are nice if you want to bother with rpn....which only matters if you're doing a lot of actual calculations.

I would never bother with rpn if I was doing a taylor expansion of some strange function.

Oh, and you can overclock your ti89/92/92+. It makes some calculations bearable on the 89 (as in waiting 1 min vs 2 or 3 mins).

Basically, anything related to higher education automatically receives a 300% bonus to MSRP.

Like the 3000$ food plan I had to buy. Or the 400$ set of O. Chem II books I had to purchase. Etc.

Why again are these damn things so overpriced? There cannot be a single good reason for them to be $150.

Why again are these damn things so overpriced? There cannot be a single good reason for them to be $150.

Its a monoply by Texas Instrument. They are the only ones making this stuff and they know everybody buys one for school

I bought my TI-89 in 2000 back in high school. That was after my sister lost my TI-86. Definitely liked the 86 better.

The TI-86's syntax is more sleek for certain things but the 89 is really in a different tier of usage. For instance, the 86 can't do integration or partial fraction expansion.

Who buys TI's new? Craigslist is by far the best place to buy a one. Last TI-89 I bought was $60 on CL.

Back