Thumnail View on Pictures [Windows 7]

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I have a simple problem. I have a folder called 'pics' and in this folder I have ... pics. :p

My problem is I can't find a way in Windows 7 to be able to get a thumbnail view of this pics rather than the generic icon used for JPEG and GIF files. Can someone please tell me how to be able to see the images in thumbnail view or maybe just be able to preview them once selected in the preview pane window? I've Google'd this and I know I can hit the 'alt' button and access the 'view' menu but nothing works.

In the upper right hand side you don't see an option that says Change your view? I have it and can change to tile, small, medium, or large icons and see what the picture actually is.

Yeah I see:

- Extra Large
- Large
- Medium
- Small
- List
- Details
- Tiles
- Content

No matter what I change it to, the view changes but I never see thumbnail icons of the picture or when I single click each item, nothing shows up in a preview pane. Is it some kind of performance setting somewhere that is disabling this view?

If Windows has the native codec for the picture, then it should generate thumbnails. You could do a batch conversion with something like irfanview. Do a few test pics until you find a setting that allows Windows to generate thumbnails. You could also open each picture up, then resave them as say a .png. It should generate thumbnails.

Yeah I see:

- Extra Large
- Large
- Medium
- Small
- List
- Details
- Tiles
- Content

No matter what I change it to, the view changes but I never see thumbnail icons of the picture or when I single click each item, nothing shows up in a preview pane. Is it some kind of performance setting somewhere that is disabling this view?

If you click on Organize and then go to folder and search options. Under the view tab is there a check beside always show icon and not thumbnail?

When you right-click on the folder, in the Customize tab, there is an option for "optimize this folder for" (or something like that). Have you tried different settings for that? I was having trouble getting thumbnails in a folder, and playing with those settings fixed it. Can't remember what I changed it to or from though.

This is the only Windows PC we have on the LAN and I find generating custom batch scripts or codecs to render a simple JPG file pretty ridiculous. I'll just move them to my Linux machine which seems to handle complex JPG and GIF files rather well...unless anyone knows what is causing this issue.

This is the only Windows PC we have on the LAN and I find generating custom batch scripts or codecs to render a simple JPG file pretty ridiculous. I'll just move them to my Linux machine which seems to handle complex JPG and GIF files rather well...unless anyone knows what is causing this issue.

Did you try this?

It's been a while since I had a new install of Windows 7... but I remember having to set this option.

Eg75q.gif

Did you try this?

It's been a while since I had a new install of Windows 7... but I remember having to set this option.

Eg75q.gif

no you shouldn't have to as that would be off by default. doesn't mean that for him it didn't get set somehow.

Back