Thrown in Microsoft 'Jail' For Taking Pictures Of Nothing

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is what happens when you take unauthorized photos of top secret hardware running proprietary software full of trade secrets that requires around-the-clock armed guards. Just kidding, dude got in trouble for taking pics of a laptop in a cabinet. :rolleyes:

What I saw was profoundly underwhelming. Just a laptop and a bunch of wires. I was just about to forget about the pictures entirely and find the guy who walked by with the raw tuna somethings when a massive goon packed into a fancy suit approached me. "You need to come with me, sir," he said.

Last edited:
hahahahahahhaha

Fucking proof XBOX one is a fucking overpriced POS PC with DRM out the ass

Yup! The large cables were there because it needs to be connected all the time.

Fortunately for the Microsoft "goon" it wasn't me that he ordered about. He woulda wound up on the floor with a new appreciation of what the bottom of his feet looked liked wrapped up around his head, that is provided he could see straight considering the Donkey Punch in the nuts he just got on his way to the floor.... :mad:

I really do hate companies thinking that they can basically kidnap you for seeing something "secret"

If the area where they put the hardware has a sign not allowing anyone to come in, then he is clearly violate their rule. Also for bloggers, if they don't do anything wrong, I don't think they will give up things that easy. He allowed them to delete the pictures without fighting back, because he knew clearly he was wrong.

Fortunately for the Microsoft "goon" it wasn't me that he ordered about. He woulda wound up on the floor with a new appreciation of what the bottom of his feet looked liked wrapped up around his head, that is provided he could see straight considering the Donkey Punch in the nuts he just got on his way to the floor.... :mad:

I really do hate companies thinking that they can basically kidnap you for seeing something "secret"

Just tell people like that "No" and you will not need to slap them around. Goon is not authority.

I'd say unless I have broken a rule here or being charged with some kind of crime, I'm leaving and if they refused to let me go threaten to charge them with abduction for holding me against my will and if they continued to follow, threaten to sue for harassment or stalking. I don't give in to this gestapo crap.

Just tell people like that "No" and you will not need to slap them around. Goon is not authority.

Yeah and if he forces you, then you sue the whole company, the owner of the venue, amongst others for illegal imprisonment, you make a bankload of money off the lawsuit, and then you don't give a shit about DRM anymore because you're so filthy fucking rich you own every game that exists with a terabyte internet connection that comes out of your ass so it's always with you :D

ku-xlarge.jpg

Wow, huge "trade secrets" there, Microsoft.
Don't know how you will ever recover your secret formula now. :rolleyes:

"Don't look behind the curtain." So those Xbone games were actually running on a laptop?

He should have just told the MS goons were to put it.

This is why it's important to have a spare SD card in cases like this. Delete the photos from the camera, insert new SD card right away, put old one in computer and use a photo recovery software....

Yeah, may be a grey area, but if there was nothing forbidding cameras in that area, then technically forcing him to delete the photos in the first place fits in that same area.

Jalopnik comes through.

I feel the website has gone downhill recently. The mobile site has always been F'ed up, but in the last month or so the new look is terrible, plus they cross link to other sites....like Jezebel. Why don't they link the *other* sister site, Fleshbot :D

This is why it's important to have a spare SD card in cases like this. Delete the photos from the camera, insert new SD card right away, put old one in computer and use a photo recovery software....

Yeah, may be a grey area, but if there was nothing forbidding cameras in that area, then technically forcing him to delete the photos in the first place fits in that same area.

They didn't order him to delete the photo. They just suggested that it would be totally awesome if he did. In the article he implies that he only deleted them because it was a just a picture of a laptop in a cabinet.

That Dead rising looks really, really, reeeally boring. The whole city is just a boorish mass of samey grey textures and the same streets and zombies over and over. The weapons are just real life stuff instead of silly things, but you are just fighting the same zero threat zombies over and over, what did they do to it?!? :confused:

If Microsoft were smart they'd release whatever runtime software is needed to run Xbox one games to the public for a cost of like $100 per license. Not only would this increase the sales of the physical games as it was, but they'd get tons of buyers IMO. Nor would this really piss off the console nubs as they are buying a console because they can't afford a decent PC anyways.

That Dead rising looks really, really, reeeally boring. The whole city is just a boorish mass of samey grey textures and the same streets and zombies over and over. The weapons are just real life stuff instead of silly things, but you are just fighting the same zero threat zombies over and over, what did they do to it?!? :confused:

More lameass games from Crapcom.
Innovation, hooooo!!!

I feel the website has gone downhill recently. The mobile site has always been F'ed up, but in the last month or so the new look is terrible, plus they cross link to other sites....like Jezebel. Why don't they link the *other* sister site, Fleshbot :D

recently? last month or so?

I hope you're kidding. The entire gawker network shit themselves for the last time when they went to that horrid can't-read-shit-and-oh-lets-hide-and-disorganize-the-comments-section-as-best-we-can-even-though-that-was-the-only-content-on-the-site-worth-reading layout over a year ago...

So, the guy was illegally detained and forced to give up something he owned, and was not taken illegally.

"Massive goon packed into a fancy suit" can go screw himself.

Assuming we have the whole story, of course.

No shit man. This story creeps me the hell out in that regard.

Microsoft Jail: Where you'll spend the rest of your life using Metro without a touchscreen.

:D

I hate the fact that the only reason they get away with it is because people like the guy in the story OBVIOUSLY doesn't know his rights. Tell him no. Walk away. If he lays a finger on you then you have a right to defend yourself.

Unless the guy has a badge on, you don't have to do shit.

I hate the fact that the only reason they get away with it is because people like the guy in the story OBVIOUSLY doesn't know his rights. Tell him no. Walk away. If he lays a finger on you then you have a right to defend yourself.

Unless the guy has a badge on, you don't have to do shit.

The world is not so black and white

He could have gotten his ass kicked in trying to leave the building for example, he could get his ass kicked after the show, even weeks later

huge mega conglomerates don't like having their dirty laundry aired, we all know the XBOX One is just a PC, but microsoft doesn't want the public to know that

The world is not so black and white

He could have gotten his ass kicked in trying to leave the building for example, he could get his ass kicked after the show, even weeks later

huge mega conglomerates don't like having their dirty laundry aired, we all know the XBOX One is just a PC, but microsoft doesn't want the public to know that

No... no he could not have.

If he got is "ass kicked" in any way shape or form they would lose more money than any other publicity of the xbox ever could.

he did take pics. of something. those are xbox dev units hacked by Microsoft the rushed. versions.

r the xbox one runs 2 virtual is. at tge same time under a hypervisor layer on cheep laptop based. amd x86 hardware.

devs know this. they do not want the secret out or whar is shown on the screen of the lsptops.

tge laptops based.on the same chip set as the.new xbox are the fastest.way to hack together a dev kit for.Microsoft.

oh and all the xbox one you see are just empty case shells they do not function

If Microsoft were smart they'd release whatever runtime software is needed to run Xbox one games to the public for a cost of like $100 per license. Not only would this increase the sales of the physical games as it was, but they'd get tons of buyers IMO. Nor would this really piss off the console nubs as they are buying a console because they can't afford a decent PC anyways.

And this idea I'd totally go for -- I'd be happy as hell to fork over $100 for the Xbox software, running it on my PC -- and then buying the software and controller as needed.

Let's face it - the xboxOne and PS4 are nothing but moderately powered PC's with a fancy OS and locked down DRM out the ass.

I'd love to fire up some Forza 5 and run it on my 7970. But to maximize profit they have to lock it down, charge 500 dollars for it, and only THEN do they put on the dry rubber gloves and start going to work on your ass.

Seems to me if all the XboxOne demo units were PC's - they would have made 100% sure to, i dunno, lock them down so some random guy can't just open the cabinet.

So some douchbag photgraper (from Gawker of all places!) gets the stink from some douchbag PR people?

The doucebag bouncer should have just pummeled the douchbag photographer for going into places he shouldn't of. Now that would be some funny ass news.

This fake drama is for the trolls.

I wonder if MS had the right to detain that guy. If he left and they forcibly threw him back in "jail", could he have press charges?

And this idea I'd totally go for -- I'd be happy as hell to fork over $100 for the Xbox software, running it on my PC -- and then buying the software and controller as needed.

Let's face it - the xboxOne and PS4 are nothing but moderately powered PC's with a fancy OS and locked down DRM out the ass.

I'd love to fire up some Forza 5 and run it on my 7970. But to maximize profit they have to lock it down, charge 500 dollars for it, and only THEN do they put on the dry rubber gloves and start going to work on your ass.

Seems to me if all the XboxOne demo units were PC's - they would have made 100% sure to, i dunno, lock them down so some random guy can't just open the cabinet.

Forza on PC... If only. :(

Classic M$ BS.

Sony would have forced you into the blackness and raped you....and you would have liked it.

Sorry, I just can't let the whole rape thing die.

This just in, snooping around at events with unreleased hardware is frowned on. The guy never got thrown in "microsoft jail", he was asked to comply and did (because he knows what he did was wrong). I don't even see anything incriminating about the laptop, they were obviously worried because the guy was going far beyond what anyone smart enough for their own good would do.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Wow, huge "trade secrets" there, Microsoft.
Don't know how you will ever recover your secret formula now. :rolleyes:

They didn't want that new keyboard layout design to get out to the public. Just look at it in that pic. Seems like it has some fancy concept keys without lettering. I completely understand what all the fuss is about now. ;)

Clearly the design change here that the photographer missed is the relettering of the keyboard. Each quadrant has been remapped to X, O, Square, or Triangle. I mean come on.. DUH.. I just wonder where the bumper keys were.. that seems odd to reach behind the portable "xbox 1" to hit them from behind.

I got a sense from reading the article of whining and fishing for reader sympathy. Not like they broke anything of his, confiscated anything, handcuffed him, etc. Honestly sounds likes making a mountain out of a molehill.

Back