Three Ways Women Unlearn Their Love Of Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video games are most of all and above all the love for different the thirst to be to see to live things. Things you could and things you couldn't in real life. If that makes any sense at all.

That my friends is a genderless feeling. It really doesn't matter how you picture any man or any woman stereotype in some games. Moot point.

Also, Anita Sarkeesian (or however it is spelled) is in this whole thing that she does for one reason, and that reason is a more comfortable living via fame and money. Life is really that simple.

"But where there is a welcome mat rolled out for men, there is only a bloodied stretch of briar for women."

fuck off

"I don’t get games, I argue. Don’t pass me the controller, I’ll only embarrass myself. It’s not my turf. It’s not for me. I’m a girl, ok?"

So, when someone tries to give you a shot, you play dumb and perpetuate the stereotype you so desperately hate enough to right an entire article about it.

Just because you don't see non-war games doesn't mean non-war/boy games exist.

This is equivalent of saying there's no good restaurants out there because all you see commercials for are big chain mediocre restaurants! You have to search for the really good shops, but they're there!

Yes, the communities can be brutal. You don't want to be part of it, then don't. You, the author talked about days on the DS - there was no "online community" there. Stop listening to what stupid boys say, and do what you like! Frankly, the only communities I game with are ones I know IRL. If I might go as far as "a friend/relative of a friend," but that's it, and only if the former is there as well. Most of my gameplay is single player anyways.

I too want to see more girls in gaming/tech/etc, but I don't see how you rid the obnoxious/abusive 11 year old boys from the mix. How do we raise strong girls who don't care what these idiots think? How do you censor every chat channel of this vulgarity?

These ideas are efforts to "cater" to the complaints girls have. But it doesn't change the fact "girl" games are out there. You just have to find them.

Everyone has the right to complain. Some people just get more attention than others.

True. I still complain about stupid shit like Kate Upton, but I'm a realist. I know I'm not going to stop seeing women falling out of their shirts advertising everything.

That's why I have a DVR. I know when to stop whining in the corner, and take action. Nothing brings me greater joy than skipping that same fucking commercial that's been shown 60 times in one hour :D

"I don’t get games, I argue. Don’t pass me the controller, I’ll only embarrass myself. It’s not my turf. It’s not for me. I’m a girl, ok?"

So, when someone tries to give you a shot, you play dumb and perpetuate the stereotype you so desperately hate enough to right an entire article about it.

Just because you don't see non-war games doesn't mean non-war/boy games exist.

This is equivalent of saying there's no good restaurants out there because all you see commercials for are big chain mediocre restaurants! You have to search for the really good shops, but they're there!

Yes, the communities can be brutal. You don't want to be part of it, then don't. You, the author talked about days on the DS - there was no "online community" there. Stop listening to what stupid boys say, and do what you like! Frankly, the only communities I game with are ones I know IRL. If I might go as far as "a friend/relative of a friend," but that's it, and only if the former is there as well. Most of my gameplay is single player anyways.

I too want to see more girls in gaming/tech/etc, but I don't see how you rid the obnoxious/abusive 11 year old boys from the mix. How do we raise strong girls who don't care what these idiots think? How do you censor every chat channel of this vulgarity?

These ideas are efforts to "cater" to the complaints girls have. But it doesn't change the fact "girl" games are out there. You just have to find them.

I think the difference here is that we're talking about young girls, not grown women. So, if my wife wanted to get into games, I'd expect an entirely different approach than if it was a 9 year old. A grown woman is going to do some basic research, read reviews, learn about genres, game types and match that to what she wants and enjoys.

Compare that to my daughter in 9 years... She's going to grow up in a house with a gaming dad, an older brother that will likely game, and a mother who could care less. Where does she look for input and recommendations? How do the advertisers reach her so she can be exposed to their products? Sure, she'll have friends to help a bit, but there's only so much I can do. I'd look at a game and say, "Look this one has ponies! You'll like it!" She'd be just as insulted (and rightly so) as I would be if someone handed me this box:
latest

aand told me I'd like it because "die", "katana" and "hey look space marine people!"

The level of exposure and discourse in popular culture is completely different:

Boys' games: firehose.
Non--gendered (i.e., sports games): few and far between
Girls' games: Essentially zilch.

It's going to be a challenge I'm going to have to deal with, and I've got time (and maybe an entire console generation) to figure it out, but it's real.

I suspect this is what's going to happen:
Someone somewhere with a little business acumen is going to fund a girl's game studio and market it as such. They'll kickstart it for funding, hire a few developers and launch a game that will do well. It will be the proof of concept for EA/Activation to follow suit and the problem will be solved essentially overnight.

CAn't happen soon enough.

That's the one part I actually agree with the article. Gamers are incredibly arrogant in the sense of trying to separate casual gamers from hardcore gamers. You're not a gamer if you play Candy Crush, but you are a gamer if you play Grand Theft Auto.

... Blah Blah Blah

Yesssss !

Like dude, I get into this exact same conversation every day in Voip. Everyone keeps talking about it all the time. It's like no one has any time to actually play the games anymore cause all they can talk about is how this and that game isn't a real game ya know.

No one talks about shit like this except when they are debating a stupid news post like this. It's the only time an issue like this even sees the light of day.

Man...

I think the difference here is that we're talking about young girls, not grown women. So, if my wife wanted to get into games, I'd expect an entirely different approach than if it was a 9 year old. A grown woman is going to do some basic research, read reviews, learn about genres, game types and match that to what she wants and enjoys.

Compare that to my daughter in 9 years... She's going to grow up in a house with a gaming dad, an older brother that will likely game, and a mother who could care less. Where does she look for input and recommendations? How do the advertisers reach her so she can be exposed to their products? Sure, she'll have friends to help a bit, but there's only so much I can do. I'd look at a game and say, "Look this one has ponies! You'll like it!" She'd be just as insulted (and rightly so) as I would be if someone handed me this box:
latest

aand told me I'd like it because "die", "katana" and "hey look space marine people!"

It's going to be a challenge I'm going to have to deal with, and I've got time (and maybe an entire console generation) to figure it out, but it's real.

Someone somewhere with a little business acumen is going to fund a girl's game studio and market it as such. They'll kickstart it for funding, hire a few developers and launch a game that will do well. It will be the proof of concept for EA/Activation to follow suit and the problem will be solved essentially overnight.

What does "Non--gendered (i.e., sports games):" even mean? Can you define the difference between a boys game and a girls game?

Ignoring the idiotic and abusive garbage that comes from some "communities", what stops a female gamer from picking up and playing CoD? Wow? DotA? Forza? Street Fighter? Mario Bros.? Nothing. Yeah, marketing departments love to focus their efforts on specific demographics. But that isn't stopping female gamers from playing those games. There are age appropriate games for people as young as 4 or 5, that can easily be played by both genders, and nothing is preventing that. Well, wait. There is something that prevents it for some... want to know what it is?

Not having an interest in gaming.

When it comes to gaming, however, I am bereft of such confidence. I shrug and sound very much like the dozens of women I have known who protest that their love of Raina Telgemeier and Archie Double Digests does not make them a real fan. I don’t get games, I argue. Don’t pass me the controller, I’ll only embarrass myself. It’s not my turf. It’s not for me. I’m a girl, ok?

So the author of this article isn't even interested in gaming, yet has no problem making assumptions for female gamers(which she is not), and making claims about something she apparently has no involvement in. Hell, she even claims that there is some attitude that games like Animal Crossing and The Sims aren't real games. Who makes that claim? Even if there are people who make that claim, why give a damn? I don't find them to be interesting, doesn't change the fact that they're games. She goes on talking about playing Nintendo DS when she was 9, mentions more game titles she liked, that boys started playing starcraft and GTA... but instead of finding other games she took interest in... she quit taking interest in gaming. That's not something for the game industry to "fix". This idiot author is talking about playing pokemon in the 90's, I was going to lan parties where there were female gamers playing starcraft, FPS games, and so on. They didn't seem to have an issue playing "boys games".

But instead of realizing that marketing doesn't matter in the long run, and even the examples shown with a crappy font and word printed across them in an article are not representative of all games.

She wants to play games where women make the world beautiful, save the day, make friends, or romance boys.
Ok, nothing wrong with that.
She wants to play games without killing, without rape, without weaponry.
There are plenty of games like this.
She wants to play games that don’t assume you grew up on GameFAQS or have hundreds of dollars to shell out on hardware upgrades.
So she wants to be a gamer who doesn't spend money on hardware, or take the time to learn or read about the games she's playing? That doesn't even make sense.
She wants games on her phone. She wants game in her browser.
Oh, so she wants shovelware garbage. Well, there's tons of that too!

The author using her sister as an example of someone who wants to play browser and phone games with no weapons, killing, or rape(why do people always act like this is just a default thing in the majority of games?), but complains about how the PC and console gaming industries aren't providing what she wants. What? Yeah, gamestop sucks, but why go into a gamestop if you're limiting your gaming to browser and phone apps? That's like going to the local sporting goods store in California and complaining that they have little in the way of ice hockey equipment. Maybe she should explain to her sister that going to places that don't have anything related to her interests is a waste of time?

Imagine how absurd if would sound if she was complaining about the auto racing industry, and complained that the Napa Autoparts across town didn't stock enough rhinestone encrusted licenseplates and if they did, more women would be into watching NASCAR. Anyone with half a brain would just tell her to go to a store that has what she wants(and they exist, especially since accessibility is better than ever buying things online), and that if she doesn't like auto racing then maybe she should find something else to be interested in rather than complain about something she isn't?

latest

News flash man. Bethesda has been doing exactly this for over 20 years. Well almost exactly, they aim their games at both genders equally. Try Skyrim or Fallout 3 on for size if you haven't.

This isn't new, these women claim a situation exists when in fact it does not exist at all. I'm a gamer, both my daughters are gamers. Guess what, the youngest was nutz for building games, played some Egyptian city building game forever. These days she's into League of Legends mostly.

The oldest, she's competitive and plays you guessed it, COD. She is slim, young, half Asian, and she'll kick your ass in a shooter. She streams herself live and is building a following. She says she thinks it's cause the guys get off on a decent looking chick that loves what they love and isn't afraid to deal with the occasional asshole that get's out of line.

The world is what it is and people are what they are. It's time these crusaders get real.

News flash man. Bethesda has been doing exactly this for over 20 years. Well almost exactly, they aim their games at both genders equally. Try Skyrim or Fallout 3 on for size if you haven't.

This isn't new, these women claim a situation exists when in fact it does not exist at all. I'm a gamer, both my daughters are gamers. Guess what, the youngest was nutz for building games, played some Egyptian city building game forever. These days she's into League of Legends mostly.

The oldest, she's competitive and plays you guessed it, COD. She is slim, young, half Asian, and she'll kick your ass in a shooter. She streams herself live and is building a following. She says she thinks it's cause the guys get off on a decent looking chick that loves what they love and isn't afraid to deal with the occasional asshole that get's out of line.

The world is what it is and people are what they are. It's time these crusaders get real.

Say what? But, but they're supposed to be into "girl games"! Instead of having an interest in gaming, the industry is supposed to cater to them by providing games for people who aren't interested in gaming in the first place.

Umm, no the 30 year old half Asian plays Call of Duty, not Skyrim :p

And her Dad is afraid to try and find her live stream cause .... well, because :rolleyes:

Boy plays video game as a character who is 7 feet tall, muscle-bound, bare chested and handsome, nobody says jack sh!t
Girl plays video game as a character who is beautiful, muscular, and well endowed, Everyone claims sexism, that the girl is being marginalized, and shouldn't be held to such a high standard of beauty, etc... etc... etc...

Also what the hell is this lady talking about... She wants to play games, but not those baby games like pokemon anymore, she wants games she can play on her phone.... HAS SHE SEEN THE APP STORE? She doesn't want to have to buy hardware to play a game? Then what... everyone needs a free PC or video game console? (Its a basic human right?) she wants to play games for women.... what exactly is a game for women? Does it have to say made for women on the package? there are plenty of games that anyone could enjoy... I don't even know what a girl game vs a boy gay is.... I know lots of girls who love war simulation games like COD, etc... If its strong female characters she wants..... Ever played Half Life 2, Portal, Oni, Zelda, etc... Also, just because females are rendered as pretty, or well-endowed, etc... does that mean that it is for men? what about the fashion games she mentioned, no well endowed or pretty girls in those games? Why is it that if a game character has large breasts she is considered overtly sexual? Lots of women I know have large breasts, should they not be represented in video games?? This article is all over the place, it seems like it was written just for the sake of the author wanting to write a trendy article about how sexist the video game world is.

Even if you get women to decide they like video games, and more probably do than don't, that's not the same thing as being willing to spend money on them.

The cost of the game, the cost of DLC or other upgrades, the cost of keeping your PC not just functional, but optimized and up to date so you can enjoy the experience:

" She wants to play games that don’t assume you grew up on GameFAQS or have hundreds of dollars to shell out on hardware upgrades. She wants games on her phone. She wants game in her browser. She wants to live in a world where games are just as aligned with girlhood as boyhood, and where no one bats an eye at a girl like her loving video games"

Not stated, but implied: "she wants video games to not cost her much in the way of time, technology or out of pocket expenditures".

Liking games is not what makes you a gamer. Being willing to invest - your time, money and attention in gaming is what makes you a gamer.

She describes her sister as wanting to partake of the hobby on a no cost basis. What do girls and young women spend their money on? The latest hardware? - sure, some of them do, but by and large, no - they spend their money on "other things" which largely do not include new video cards and gaming mice or monthly subscriptions or premium content packs, etc.

If I told a woman I wanted to improve my physical presentation - dress better, get a better hair cut, etc but then started choking $19 haircuts and $200 shoes - whoa whoa whoa! - I just want to look better, you know - be fashionable - but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on my wardrobe! - let's just find some $40 shoes and hey, doesn't Target sell nice clothes?

The difference here is that if I did that, I would know that I'm being unreasonable.

And thats a bad thing because...........?

Did I ever say it was a BAD THING?

No, I believe I was clear that repetitive use of ancient tropes gets old fast.

Boobs once = good. Boobs twice = still good, but maybe try something new?

Boobs #56778895654 = GTFO.

Did I ever say it was a BAD THING?

No, I believe I was clear that repetitive use of ancient tropes gets old fast.

Boobs once = good. Boobs twice = still good, but maybe try something new?

Boobs #56778895654 = GTFO.

Gets old fast, yet it doesn't seem to have gotten old considering how ancient some of those tropes may be. I hate to break it to ya, but there isn't much that can replace boobs with regards to marketing.

I'm pretty sure the article is tongue in cheek.

There is no way someone seriously wrote some of these gems in earnest. This is my favorite though, because it's a partial thought, and the author does not seem to understand what they wrote. Did she lift this from somewhere and parsed it somehow incorrectly?

"For girls who do not fight to be a part of the club, who are not conversant in that world of quarter-circles and Konami codes, it’s as codified as all the other gendered tenets of our lives."

Like, she is straight up saying ladies can't play street fighter, because their gender is physically incapable of hadukening...

Like, she is straight up saying ladies can't play street fighter, because their gender is physically incapable of hadukening...

Pretty much, which is of course absurd. That's why I wrote what I did. This woman seems to have no interest in gaming, yet is complaining that there aren't games for her to play, then uses her sister as an example of a gamer who can't find appstore and browser based games that don't involve killing people or weapons(yet there are tons of them), but somehow it's because the game industry doesn't make anything for them.

But yes, it's possible she is completely serious when you consider that it isn't much of a stretch for someone to feel so entitled these days that they would demand producers of something they have no interest in, make something tailored to them while ignoring that such things already exist.

Have you seen Chun Li's attempt at a hadouken?
She's not too far off the mark... ;)

Gets old fast, yet it doesn't seem to have gotten old considering how ancient some of those tropes may be. I hate to break it to ya, but there isn't much that can replace boobs with regards to marketing.

Well I can't argue with you there......lol

Oh hey!

I get it now. Being a man it frequently takes me some time to warp my brain around reality in regards to women.

In this case I am surprised we didn't hit on this conclusion earlier.

As usual, the author doesn't really expect us to fix this situation. She only wants us to read the article and understand how she feels.

Don't worry, she'll feel different about the whole thing later and those of us who listened and made supportive sounds like "hmmmm and yeaaaa" are to be commended for our sensible and mature capacity for compasion.

Guys, we don't have to fix everything. Sometimes all we have to do is let them say the crazy shit and not give them a hard time over it :D

Oh hey!

I get it now. Being a man it frequently takes me some time to warp my brain around reality in regards to women.

In this case I am surprised we didn't hit on this conclusion earlier.

As usual, the author doesn't really expect us to fix this situation. She only wants us to read the article and understand how she feels.

Don't worry, she'll feel different about the whole thing later and those of us who listened and made supportive sounds like "hmmmm and yeaaaa" are to be commended for our sensible and mature capacity for compasion.

Guys, we don't have to fix everything. Sometimes all we have to do is let them say the crazy shit and not give them a hard time over it :D

Mind blown.
Man, I think you might be on to something there...:eek:

The secret to a long marriage right there. :D

Even if you were to come up with a strong argument to this article, or even a full blown solution, it would still be a problem. :/

It's a hobby, when it stops being fun then its time to find a new one. I used to enjoy pop music but when boy bands took center stage in the mid 90's I stopped listening to the radio and put more effort into finding music I liked which at the time required me to search out underground EDM record stores, I didn't waste my time writing opinion pieces whining how One Direction doesn't make songs that cater to me.

My wife hates video games.

My wife pretended to like video games while we were dating so we could hang out (She did like Burnout on the Xbox, where you could play Crash Party mode). As soon as we were married, the facade fell..:mad::rolleyes:

My wife pretended to like video games while we were dating so we could hang out (She did like Burnout on the Xbox, where you could play Crash Party mode). As soon as we were married, the facade fell..:mad::rolleyes:

My wife "likes video games" in the sense that if there is nothing else going on, and it's all ready to go and you hand her a controller and the game is something not too violent or complex, she will play.

She won't spend endless brain cells trying to think about how to get better or get more resources or unlocks or optimize something, etc.

That seems to be not far off from what the article is calling for - we want to like games, make it super easy for us, we don't want to have to learn anything or stretch ourselves while we pursue this thing we love so much.

My ex gf was like that, she would tell me how she grew up playing Sonic and Super Mario Bros, but everytime I would fire up the ole emulator she would say things like you play I just like watching. After 2 years of dating she started pressuring me for a ring, she never cooked a meal for me in the whole 2 years we were dating but she said it was because I was nothing to her and if I wifeyed her she would actually start to do all of those things. Lucky I saw thru that façade and held out until she revealed her true colors or else I would have probably ended up trading my gaming rig for a baby crib :D

The secret to a long marriage right there. :D

Even if you were to come up with a strong argument to this article, or even a full blown solution, it would still be a problem. :/

32 years just a few days ago.

No really, I am serious about this. Women don't always want a solution or for a guy to fix it. Sometimes they just want you to listen and I think, try to understand how they are feeling or how something is effecting them.

If you can accept that, then it's not that great a stretch to imagine women expressing themselves in the same manner online and in writing.

I'll fall back on my favorite defense when I am accused of not picking up the signal quick enough.

Give me a break, I'm just a man :D

Oh, and for those guys who have wives who game with them.

You lucky bastards :cool:

My wife loves Burnout Paradise on Xbox 360. She always tells me it's her turn. I really don't argue. :)

32 years just a few days ago.

No really, I am serious about this. Women don't always want a solution or for a guy to fix it. Sometimes they just want you to listen and I think, try to understand how they are feeling or how something is effecting them.

If you can accept that, then it's not that great a stretch to imagine women expressing themselves in the same manner online and in writing.

Congrats! That's awesome. I'm only at 17 years (in 2 months). I'm halfway to 32!

Yes, most women just want someone to listen to them. Even if you can't fix it, they like to talk about it. Or talk about themselves. Just listen and respond to her. You may not understand (women are weird), you may not have the answers, but you care enough to listen and try and understand. They love that stuff.

32... Being conservative and being married at 18, that'd put you at 50. But, I'm assuming it's a little bit older... I didn't place you at that age. Old man. :D

55 actually. And thank You.

I'll admit though, I cheated a little bit. I married a Korean and she grew up never expecting a man to even care what she thought or wanted. She told me she didn't even want to get married because of the way her brothers acted and what she saw from her mother's life.

Then she hooked back up with one of her high school friends who had married an American Soldier and was going to have a kid. Man in those cultures all the girls come out of the woodwork to help out the new momma. My wife was amazed to see her friend's husband in the kitchen, (Korean men don't even go into the kitchen, the women fetch everything). It was an eye opener for her, she started to imaging something different.

I hope I delivered. The really funny thing is that she actually does do most of the "women's work" anyway. I mean she was raised to do these things. The difference is I don't demand it, and I help out. In turn, she also works, but that's another level of freedom she wouldn't have had back home in Korea.

Whatever it is we have going, however twisted it may look. It's the way we have made it together and I think she's happy with it even if others only see the superficial and assume the worst. I had a guy accuse me of not being able to handle a woman as an equal, that I had to marry a subservient woman.

He should try to tell her what to do, it sure never works for me. That woman ignores me and does exactly what she wants to do, frequently because she thinks it's best for me. It's all confusing even for me. Again thanx.

Oh, and just wait. If your wife starts going bat shit crazy at about 50 years old, just roll with it and hold on. That menopause trip can be tough but it doesn't last forever and afterwards they still remember all the shit they said and did. And even after, they might believe it was all justified, well to them it was. They really can't help it anyway.

In a thread of mostly typical [H] forum male nonsense observations about women debating a stupidly written article, hardly anyone has really considered the fact that maybe it has nothing to do with unlearning and everything to do with just not being interested to begin with. But whatever, its not worth discussing seriously among this particular group of people. :p

In the codified structures of the white knight forum, someone such as CreepyUncleGoogle can easily accel at getting phantom e-tail due to his deep understanding of the frailty of a woman's thumb to execute a quarter-circle. He is happy to applaud this admission and defend it, rather than recognize it as a goof.

Well, done.

You really want that "You are the Thing you Hate", this year from fervently misunderstanding everything you read.

Why should we reinforce an article about how ladies can't remember a simple sequence of codes, or perform basic articulation of the thumb, because that's a MAN'S world. This went way over your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back