Three things: proxy settings, steam, and online multiplayer

techtechie

Gawd
O how often has this question come up on the steam forums? But i still havent found the answers i'm looking for. Ok so here's the deal my home network is run through an HTTP proxy server, i want to multiplayer through steam, and i can have the network administrator open whatever i need. I need to know what ports i need to have opened or whatever else i need to know that I may have missed on my research into this. I found this but for some reason it doesn't seem clear to me. This may also help is the research of UDP connections. If certain games require different ports the games are COD Ghosts, COS MW3, and maybe in the future BF 4.

If this helps the proxy server firmware is called "ipfire."

All help is greatly appreciated.

Mods please move this if it is in the wrong subsection.

Last edited:
Ok I edited it. I don't know how that even happened. Hopefully it stays working this time.

[EDIT] Ok something screwy is going on copy pasting into the forums it breaks the link for some reason. Just google "which steam ports to open" and it should be the top link. It's removing the question mark then equals sign out of the link for some stupid reason.

ifeD5Qj7Rkd5h.jpg

Last edited:
ok yes i came across this website in my research into the issue. Its got me sorta baffled a bit. Are those ports under COD MW2 neesacery to open because i know right now the network administrator is doing alot for me already. So if these ports are opened up i should be able to say play against/with someone else from say Germany.

another question that is not really related to this discusion. i dont have the fastest internet connection (wifi of course) how many kbps must i get in order to multiplay online. i can easily maintain 500kbps.

ok yes i came across this website in my research into the issue. Its got me sorta baffled a bit. Are those ports under COD MW2 neesacery to open because i know right now the network administrator is doing alot for me already. So if these ports are opened up i should be able to say play against/with someone else from say Germany.

another question that is not really related to this discusion. i dont have the fastest internet connection (wifi of course) how many kbps must i get in order to multiplay online. i can easily maintain 500kbps.

I don't think that COD MW2 part is necessary unless that's a game you're into playing. It might be some special ordeal they have with Activision for whatever reason, but the other ports should be all Steam specific if I'm reading it right myself. So long as the necessary ports are opened, the list is accurate, and I'm reading it right myself, it should all work.

As far as how much dedicated bandwidth do you need to play online I'd say the typically recommended 128Kbps should be adequete, perhaps double that if you can manage. Gaming utilizes very little bandwidth unless you're hosting a server or using VOIP communications at a very high rate. Ping time and network load will probably influence the experience a lot sooner than going from 128Kbps > 256Kbps will, but that does depend on the game as some do require more data to be sent than others. With 256Kbps as a minimum I don't think you'd have much of a problem unless you had to download some server specific textures and sounds.

alright thanks a million i'll avoid MW2 i already played the campaign in that one like twice on xbox before switching to computer.
i have another question which has nothing to do with bandwidth proxy just asking out of curiousity. What information is being shared from one player to the other. positions and actions of the other player(s)?

Last edited:
I'm no programmer, but I've always assumed at the very least that's what it's doing. The server is simple keeping track of everyone on the map and where they are. I'm sure there is more to it and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some packets that get mixed in with the usual ones for other features, but that's the gist of it.

No problem. Keep us posted if it does/doesn't work so someone from the future looking for answers knows. :)

Back