Three 1920x1200 displays or 2560x1440?

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm in a position to get three Dell U2412m's for Eyefinity, or one or two 2560x1440 display displays, then working up to three.

I looked into the U2713HM, but looks like there is a lot of input lag (?). Then there is the Viewsonic VP2770 that looks good, but nearly the price of the three U2412m's. I don't really want to mess with Korean displays.

Any words of wisdom? All I can seem to do is go back and forth.

Last edited:
For me, 3 1920x1200 displays are much better than a single 2560x1440 display. Check my sig.

Personally I'd get a big TV (50" or bigger) or a projector ($600-800)

AND

2-3 21.5" 1080p screens for productivity reasons. ($100/ea)

I already have a 3 screen + tv setup. Just looking to upgrade my monitors from their 1680x1050 res, and for something newer. My monitors are 6 years old.

I already have a 3 screen + tv setup. Just looking to upgrade my monitors from their 1680x1050 res, and for something newer. My monitors are 6 years old.

I would say just slowly replace each screen with a 1440p one.

Go for 2560x1440 then. 1680x1050 to 1920x1XXX isn't too big of a difference.

GPU requirements for running 3x 2560x1440 at the same framerate you would be getting with 3x1080p will push your budget through the roof. Might wanna keep that in mind if these are for gaming, otherwise I suggest 3x1440 if you can find domestic monitors within your budget. Difference in screen real estate is night and day.

Yes, they would be for gaming. Obviously my two 5850's aren't going to cut it, but I'm just waiting it out for the next line of AMD cards. Been finding myself playing on one screen lately more though.

What is the deal with the cross hatching on the Dell U2713HM?

my suggestion would be a single VP2770, 27EA83R or EV2736W. great image quality, no surrond annoyances, no compatibility issues, less cables. and stay away from dell, youve been warned!

I have 3x 24" dells in eyefinity (now nv surround) as well as a 27" korean panel.

I've only played through a few games in 3x24" portrait mode, and other games i play do not support eyefinity, which then requires me to rotate my monitors back into landscape (PITA).

I have been playing a lot of LoL now which works much better on a single monitor, thus i would recommend you game on a 27".

If going for single monitor, I'd recommend 30" 2560x1600 over 27" 2560x1440 (again, if you can find one within your budget). Have both sizes for two different builds, and the 30" looks goddamn huge compared to 27" without requiring a whole lot more in GPU power.

I like my 30. Productivity with a single 30 and your 1680s would actually be a decent setup. Gaming is nice on a 30 as well, the thing's the size of a small window.

I'd say it depends on what your gaming habits are. If you mostly play one game for a long time, and it supports eyefinity (like say, an MMO) then I'd go with the three Dells. If you play a lot of different games and try new games a lot, then one good 1440p would be better since you will have a lot less compatibility issues. I've been happy with my 3 x 1200p setup, but there are still a lot of games that just don't work well with eyefinity.

27" 2560x1440 monitors such as the VP2770 have much better image quality vs. models like the Dell U2412,

For a triple set-up the NEC EA244WMi is better than the Dell since the NEC does not use a grainy matte coating and there have been no reports of units with markedly worse black level performance unlike the 2412.

Well, we are comparing a $260 monitor (great deal on amazon!) to $700 for the VP2770, or $450 for the NEC if you can find it.

I think I'm going to get a VP2770 and work up to 3 though! I appreciate all the input!

The problem with triple screen set ups and trying to decide if you want one or not is you won't know till you try it. Which is problematic considering you just can't got to a computer store and try one out.

I agree, but I have had one for many years :p I am working on upgrading my current one.

I agree, but I have had one for many years :p I am working on upgrading my current one.
well... did you appreciate the extra wide aspect ratio for the games that you play? Have you had a chance to use a 1440p or 1600p monitor?

I think it really depends on the games you play. For racing and flying sims, probably 3x. For fps, it depends, I think i would prefer 3x for fps. For MMO and/or rpg also depends. For strategy, probably 1 big screen.

well... did you appreciate the extra wide aspect ratio for the games that you play? Have you had a chance to use a 1440p or 1600p monitor?

I think it really depends on the games you play. For racing and flying sims, probably 3x. For fps, it depends, I think i would prefer 3x for fps. For MMO and/or rpg also depends. For strategy, probably 1 big screen.

Yes, it was nice for many games. I mostly like it for the ability to multitask. I haven't tried a 1440 or 1600 monitor, which is why I was curious. I'm Iike 90% sure will try the 1440. A 30" monitor would require me to also purchase a new monitor stand, and is a little expensive.

Go for 2560x1440 then. 1680x1050 to 1920x1XXX isn't too big of a difference.
Unless you go to triple 120Hz + LightBoost, and use Geforce 780's/Titan's, to get the massive improvements in motion clarity, more than 90% reduction in motion compared to 60Hz. See 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost.

It depends on if you prefer better color quality, or better motion clarity.

Yes, it was nice for many games. I mostly like it for the ability to multitask. I haven't tried a 1440 or 1600 monitor, which is why I was curious. I'm Iike 90% sure will try the 1440. A 30" monitor would require me to also purchase a new monitor stand, and is a little expensive.

if your multitasking is of professional nature (if you use your computer for work) then I would put that above games. Otherwise it's hard to say, try to make some effort to find a 1440p or 1600p monitor on display.

I enjoy the extra resolution, but not as much as i enjoy that extra peripheral for games. Plus for multitasking I do enjoy having extra monitors.

Dell Outlet has a 30% off coupon through Friday. You can pickup 2713hm qhd's for $414 a piece. I already have one, refurb looks new and is flawless imho.

I got the VP2770 today through Amazon, and it is absolutely amazing. It's soooo good looking. The colors, everything. Games are beautiful and immersive even compared to when I would play at 5040x1050. The two 22" monitors next to it do not compare. I just can't put it into words. I've been missing out.

Back