ThreadRipper Delided!

der8auer Decided to delid one of these new cpu's. He finds something interesting.

what you guys think? 32c/64t Threadrippers in the future?

They already exist. They are called Epyc. It is pretty clear they disabling two epyc dies to make threadripper.

Actual threadripper motherboards are only 4 channel memory, so they won't work with fully enabled 8 channel Epic.

As far as selling HEDT 32 core product, I really don't see a market, even threadripper will be a fringe product, which is why it is Epyc with two disabled dies.

If they thought Threadripper was going to be popular, they would build it with two dies.

32c/64t Threadrippers in the future?

I don't expect that to happen. Although I see AMD to have an easy way get ahead of Intel in the core count when the 18C i9 is released. Perhaps a 24C / 48T.

Damn you I was gonna post this....

So exciting. I have cash in hand waiting to get my chip and board.

Damnit wheres the pre-orders at sigh ...

I am selling my 1700x the minute I get IntelRipper in my hands.

with how high their yields are right now it wouldn't surprise me if it was 4 dies.. basically keeps from having massive stockpiles of ryzen chips just sitting in storage.

So where in the hell are these so called pre-orders? Can't find any anywhere except for a few pre-built boxes.

So where in the hell are these so called pre-orders? Can't find any anywhere except for a few pre-built boxes.

pre-orders were only ever announced for alienware today as far as i know, everyone else will probably be 7 days before they release is my guess since that's what they did with ryzen 7.

der8auer Decided to delid one of these new cpu's. He finds something interesting.

what you guys think? 32c/64t Threadrippers in the future?

Not really a surprise. I mean we knew the size of the CPU (equal to EPYC CPUs size) and the use of SP3r2 socket (derived from the SP3 socket of EPYC).

The socket only supports quad-channel. 32C would be bottlenecked.

Back