Threadripper cooler gen 1/2/3 same configuration?

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Does the generation 1/2 threadripper cpu coolers got the generation 3 threadripper cpu/motherboard?

Thank you.

I ordered an Arctic Tr50. Seems to be a good value since I won't be doing a super overclock.

$1,400+ CPU and worried about a value cooling solution? It always seems weird to me that people buy such expensive CPUs, ostensibly for their performance and then limit this performance with less than optimal cooling.

Last edited:
Some people just dont want to deal with watercooling. Yes hardline watercooling is the best at cooling, but not everyone is up for that. Some people just want plug and play, and not having to worry about it down the road.

As I stated in another thread, I am not looking to overclock the CPU...I need stability. If temps stay around 75/80c under a full load as other websites and youtube channels have demonstrated...then the Arctic TR50 is going to do its job. I don't have time to tweak a machine all that much anymore as I have a house that needs fixing up. working fulltime and finishing another certification. I want to build it, set it and forget it.

Last edited:
And since [H] isn't around as a full fledged website anymore and only the forum exists, I lost one of my reliable sources for information on gaming with the reviews on items such as coolers, GPU/CPU, monitors, et cetera....

It lives. Temps so far as expected...33c normal ops, 65-75c when pushing it.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 0
More testing: I played BF-V (which had been giving me trouble) Temps never went above 76c on the CPU. Gonna do a render overnight. Will post the results tomorrow morning.

This render ran for 8 hours last night in blender doing a two passer. CPU temp maxed out 81.24c but mainly hovered around 75c with all cores being utilized. Never crashed, no reboots, nodda. The power usage is to be expected from a 280w cpu. The CPU did go to 4.2ghz during some periods but mainly stayed at 3.8/3.9Ghz.

I also updated the Gigabyte board to the latest bios and enabled XMP...ram speeds are at 3200. First time I have been able to do that. On my last board, I was only able to hit 2666.

So far, very happy with the performance. This CPU def shaves time off of rendering raw footage into x265-10bit.

Gamed a bit as well, total system wattage pull playing BF-V was 679 watts playing for an hour. DX11 is still the way to go as DX12 is buggy as shit in that game and crashes to the desktop like clockwork each time. The new PSU I use seems very efficient.

Attachments

• Blender Render for project.PNG
    Blender Render for project.PNG
    516.9 KB · Views: 0
This render ran for 8 hours last night in blender doing a two passer. CPU temp maxed out 81.24c but mainly hovered around 75c with all cores being utilized. Never crashed, no reboots, nodda. The power usage is to be expected from a 280w cpu. The CPU did go to 4.2ghz during some periods but mainly stayed at 3.8/3.9Ghz.

I also updated the Gigabyte board to the latest bios and enabled XMP...ram speeds are at 3200. First time I have been able to do that. On my last board, I was only able to hit 2666.

So far, very happy with the performance. This CPU def shaves time off of rendering raw footage into x265-10bit.

Gamed a bit as well, total system wattage pull playing BF-V was 679 watts playing for an hour. DX11 is still the way to go as DX12 is buggy as shit in that game and crashes to the desktop like clockwork each time. The new PSU I use seems very efficient.
That's very reasonable for an air cooler with that any cores. Good to know in the future for me and others. I do a bit of transcoding but not to much x256 10-bit, I can't imagine how slow that would be with my 1600. Heck, 4k h.264 feels so slow.

Back