Threadripper Build Feedback, aka do MSI boards still suck?

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Was in two minds as to whether to post this in AMD Boards or just a general post. Anyway, here we are.

My main query area is people with recent experience of MSI boards, ideally Threadripper, I'm still very much of the "Ew MSI" default view given the driver / software issues over the years but know things change, heck ASRock used to be horrific. I'm considering the MSI TRX 40 Pro 10G as I'm finding it's too hard to fit most of the EATX Threadripper boards in a nice looking case that isn't the size of my garage. I've currently got dual 360 radiator in an Evolv ATX. I'm somewhat tempted on the Coolermaster SL600 but I think the only board that opens up as an additional option is the Auros Master and I'm not sure what it means for my cooling.

I have a 510mm height limit on a case and can get any case as long as it fits dual radiators and isn't fugly.

Pre-empting a couple of things
  • I need 10Gbe and would rather not have it in an AIC (in fairness this arguably makes more sense over time) as I want the space for the next gen Optane AIC
  • I don't need ECC RAM, it's only really relevent for longer running workloads and I'd just run that on a work machine or in AWS
  • Will be running Ubuntu with NVidia passthrough to Windows for Gaming and then the other cores and memory for 'activities',
  • Will obviously use a lightweight second GPU for Ubuntu
  • Power Supply is underpowered if I OC, I know, annoying as I sold an unopened 1kw Seasonic a few weeks ago. Gonna see how I go as it'd be uncommon that I max CPU and GPU at the same time. The VM for gaming will only be 12 cores so I'm hoping it'll be fine.
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case
CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI TRX40 PRO 10G ATX sTRX4 Motherboard Something else <tbc>
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Placeholder for power consumption, will use 1080TI for gaming until new cards (ideally Titan) are out
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN RTX 24 GB Video Card

Stuff I already have
Power Supply:
SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: LG 38GL950G-B 37.5" 3840x1600 175 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Ducky ONE 2 Skyline PBT Gaming Tastatur Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless Optical Mouse

Last edited:
I have the MSI X570 Creation board, been absolutely problem free for me. This was my first MSI board since socket A days, as I have been buying gigabyte boards for the last 12 years. This board had the features I wanted and got a good review from buildzoid.

I have the MSI X570 Creation board

Useful feedback thankyou. Similarly I've used Asus for many many years (they've been good to me RMA wise) so it's fresh territory and impressions stick. Heck I had a disaster of a gigabyte board in like 2001 and I'm still salty about it :)

As an aside, I hadn't seen it but that's a nice board, puts the cat amongst the pigeons a bit as actually has pretty much everything I need if I used 32gb dimms. Just not *sure* that 16 cores is enough. Like almost certainly it is and I'm sure the PCI lanes would be fine, but I want the CPU to last 3+ years and don't want multiple machines anymore. Curses.

Welcome to the integrated 10GbE club (my X470 Taichi Ultimate has it). I have no issues establishing 10Gb link to my Netgear GS110EMX switch. Was a little bit nervous about Aquantia after coming from a dedicated Intel PCIe card, but absolutely no complaints.

MSI has made some good boards and bad boards recently, but that looks like a good board with the exception it doesn't have 10GbE onboard... If you look at the specs you'll see it has dual Intel NICs physically onboard and then the 10GbE card is an addon PCIe card like they show in the pic: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/TRX40-PRO-10G

Two options for actually integrated 10GbE: Asrock TRX40 Creator. At same price as the first MSI you looked at, but VRM looks a little weaker with an 8phase and uses active cooling to help (little fan on the top heatsink part). I think this board should be fine unless you're pushing for a big OC. If you are planning for big OC or just generally want a better board, I'd step up to the MSI Creator TRX40, it's got a ridiculous VRM and actually has the Aquantia onboard. It's about $150 more give or take, but in the grand scheme of a Threadripper build I don't think that should hold you back too much hopefully. Keep in mind the MSI Creator TRX40 is E-ATX so I think it will fit in that case you picked (double check) but might block the grommets for cable management.

Other than that it's solid. That RAM you picked is Samsung B Die with a good bin 3200MHz 14-14-14, some of the best RAM you can get. It could easily do 3600MHz and beyond but not sure how far you can push with populating that many DIMMs, it's gonna really stress the IMC on the CPU. You could save money and go with this kit: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232853 which is 3200MHz 16-18-18 which is either worse binned B Die or it might be Hynix AFR or something, not really sure. Regardless Zen 2 is a lot less picky with memory and you'll probably get the same frequency as the better binned B Die with just looser timings. If you want the best of the best you picked the right RAM, but you could save a little bit with something else.

Thanks, that's also great feedback. I definitely needed that on the mobo, dunno how I missed that :)

Regarding the memory, I share your doubts about getting an OC on 8 sticks. However as you picked up on, I picked primarily based on CAS rather than the mhz and just what seemed like a decent compromise. In my company we've found TR chips to get a good boost off lower CAS whereas bandwidth doesn't make that much of a difference That said those machines run jobs that take a looooong time (long enough to warrant having V100's rather than renting them) so it's something of an edge case and don't think I'll realistically see much benefit but T[H]is is the way.

Well after a slightly drunken trip down the rabbit hole (apologies if you read it before I realised how wrong I was on some stuff and deleted it all), I've done my case research and I'm going to get a Define 7 It'll take off the restrictions that were driving me crazy trying to work around (98% sure pcpartpicker is wrong and even the Zenith II would fit) and means I can do everything else and without ruining my office setup. Plus means I can start build without taking apart my existing PC, anyone with custom WC, especially hardline, knows the value of that.

GPU wise, I'm gonna add a "MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB 2GH LP OC" in for ubuntu. Was gonna get a Radeon Pro but there's not really a reason to.

Motherboard, The gigabyte is too tall so its basically the MSI Creator or the Zenith. The Asrock TaiChi gets an auto *nup* based on the gears. Wtf is that shit.

Need to do a storage plan too, I think I need more. Its insane to me to me but damn games have gotten big these days and I already use 3TB worth of SSD for my games box. Shame the Optane is still mia (and 905 prices are stupid given age and PCIe3 but damn they work well) as it would be perfect for /sda1, I think NVME passthrough for the gaming machine is probably pretty pointless on reflection so maybe I should drop the 4tb m2 and look at raid or zfs pool with the vm on top so I've got a bit more flexibility but then I've got a different set of problems as I always do either single drive, or have raid 10 (or equiv). The comedy speed of the Aorus AIC does amuse, but that'd only be 4tb so not much point, no way in hell I'd run 4 way RAID0

Gonna start ordering stuff though. When I have it in front of me I can figure out my case layout and probably figure out storage better, as I'll just give up and get 2.5" drives like a sane person.

So end my stream of concious.

Last edited:
Back